World-Designs-Forum

World-Designs-Forum (http://www.world-designs.co.uk/forum/index.php)
-   WD Loudspeakers (http://www.world-designs.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=39)
-   -   Where to buy 80 PPI reticulated foam? (http://www.world-designs.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=6287)

saschagabor 12th September 2011 06:28 PM

Where to buy 80 PPI reticulated foam?

As I´m in the starting stages of building WD25a (almost everything on the way or on order) I also need 12 mm thick 80 PPI reticulated foam. I have yet to find a good source for this, so I´m hoping to find some advice here.

Any info would be highly appreciated.

alnewall 12th September 2011 08:04 PM

Re: Where to buy 80 PPI reticulated foam?

Have you asked World Designs if they have a piece left over?

Failing that.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Speaker-fr...item1e66e08044

Doesn't say what density it is, but might be worth asking.

Also this stuff is sometimes sold for use as fishpond filters.
I'm sure you'll find it somewhere, but a small quantity might be difficult.

john & Jake the dog 12th September 2011 08:29 PM

hi, how about this
http://www.wilmslow-audio.co.uk/grille-foam-356-p.asp:)

saschagabor 13th September 2011 12:29 PM

Thanks for the tips, I´ll check them out and report back.

Keep´em coming :)

saschagabor 14th September 2011 10:28 AM

Grille foam is about 30 PPI, so that won´t do any good. And from what I have found so far about pond filters, they vary between 10 and 45 PPI.

The ones I´ve found so far have been either the wrong size (too small) or the wrong PPI.

Thanks for the tips, hope you´ve got some more for me :D

john & Jake the dog 14th September 2011 01:05 PM

Hi , if this foam is for grille material then I'm not sure why you want a hi PPI
Herehttp://steplaw.com/reticulatedfoam.html

If Wilmslow audio use a particular PPI then it will be fairly transparent which is what you need.
A high PPI is an absorber, are the speakers that bad that they need to absorb the waves:eek:

pre65 14th September 2011 01:08 PM

This is why.

"For the WD25A, however, we are leaving the grille option to the constructor and so the speaker has to look good unclothed.

Luckily modern materials can come to our rescue and we found the answer in the form of reticulated foam. This is foam sheet where the ‘bubbles’ in the foam are connected to form a latticework. Reticulated foam is typically used for water filtration – foam with larger pore sizes is used for foam loudspeaker grilles too and they are so ‘open’ that you can literally pour water straight through them.

For our resistive, aperiodic ‘port’, however, we needed a much smaller pore size with a high resistance to the large air velocity resulting from substantial cone displacements. Reticulated foam of 80 ppi (pores per inch) proved ideal and gave us the cosmetic result we were after."

saschagabor 14th September 2011 01:16 PM

1 Attachment(s)
yep :)

Greg. 14th September 2011 01:46 PM

I think you'll find that this company supplied WD with the reticulated foam for the speaker ports.

http://home.btclick.com/rafseal/main.htm

john & Jake the dog 14th September 2011 01:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pre65 (Post 75124)
This is why.

"For the WD25A, however, we are leaving the grille option to the constructor and so the speaker has to look good unclothed.

Luckily modern materials can come to our rescue and we found the answer in the form of reticulated foam. This is foam sheet where the ‘bubbles’ in the foam are connected to form a latticework. Reticulated foam is typically used for water filtration – foam with larger pore sizes is used for foam loudspeaker grilles too and they are so ‘open’ that you can literally pour water straight through them.

For our resistive, aperiodic ‘port’, however, we needed a much smaller pore size with a high resistance to the large air velocity resulting from substantial cone displacements. Reticulated foam of 80 ppi (pores per inch) proved ideal and gave us the cosmetic result we were after."

I see, If I were having bother, I'd just stick 80 drinking straws per inch up it's port.:D

saschagabor 14th September 2011 01:56 PM

I´ve just sent about half a dozen emails to both manufacturers and resellers of reticulate foam. Hopefully someone can supply me with what I need. I might have to order a bunch, but then I´ll have enough for a lifetime (and probably also some to sell, for others in search of the stuff).

Thank you for all the help so far, I´ll keep you guys in the loop.

saschagabor 19th September 2011 09:45 PM

Still no luck getting hold of a reasonable amount of 80 PPI foam. I can have it manufactured in large (!) quantities (both cut to size or large sheets), but I have yet to find someone that can supply me with smaller amounts. I am willing to buy considerably more than what I need, but there are limits...

Any advice on foam sources would be much appreciated!

john & Jake the dog 19th September 2011 10:27 PM

Hi, Have you tried contacting foam manufacturers and asking for a sample of 80ppi foam in the size you require.
You will need this sample for your prototype***insert the product you are working on*** and any helpful company should gladly send you some.
You may have to be a company but I am sure you can come up with a name.

just a thought:)

saschagabor 20th September 2011 09:58 AM

I actually thought about that a while ago, but I felt it would be too deceptive. I might reconsider if something doesn't happen soon. The problem is that I need a minimum of six strips, preferably eight or ten. Hmm...

But thanks for the tip, I'll consider it.

Richard 20th September 2011 10:31 AM

I'm a bit late to this but my transmission lines used plastic foam in their ports for a similar reason of spoiling the damping with the outside air. In that case the light yellow foam 1" thick was specified. Pink and grey foams have different densities and all of them will pass air (or water) as you can see if you use them as a wash sponge or try to blow or breath through them. Not many have closed cells. I've also used thin yellow as a motorcycle air filter before now. Point being try other foam. If you want it grey/black it can be dyed in Dylon solution. Or use double thickness of 30ppi etc. Other thing is that this is often tuned to a room anyway and makes quite a subtle differnce so I'd not agonise too much at this stage and would experiment once set up and playing.

saschagabor 20th September 2011 10:51 AM

Had it only been me, that would be a viable option. However, my friend is not the adventurous type, and fooling too much around outside proven grounds is not his thing.

Richard 20th September 2011 11:54 AM

How is it fooling around too much :confused: Buy a few different foam samples (colours and thicknesses) and cut to size. Pull out and try the next type :) I wonder if your friend is going to be happy with diy speakers if he canot embrace the reasons for building them! Many diy speaker articles suggest the bass tune-it-in-room approach as being one of the reasons for getting a better result than buying off shelf. Sometimes it's the port damping (even some manufacturers supply removeable foam bungs) sometimes its the cabinet or line damping (I had to adjust mine quite a bit) and sometimes even the cab volume using an inert filler (bricks!). This really is a non-problem.

saschagabor 20th September 2011 12:22 PM

I'm sorry, I should probably have said "fooling around".

The fact that we need to find the right stuffing for our needs/preferences is one thing, but using another foam type would be more like changing the port length of a bass reflex system.

If it should turns out to be impossible to get a hold of 80 PPI reticulate foam, then we'd be forced to look elsewhere. But if I start to buy several different types of foam now, I might end up burning more money than if I just pick up a larger quantity of the right stuff from the beginning.

Also, as we need to glue it stuck, changing it won't be a breeze.

Understand me right, I highly appreciate your tips, they might come in handy if I fail to get the right stuff. But I'm not about to give up quite yet :)

Richard 21st September 2011 09:43 AM

Ok, did you try these 2,

http://www.foamengineers.co.uk/manuf...iculated-foam/

http://www.acoustaproducts.com/Reticulated_Foam.html

I'd phone, explain your difficulty in finding it, and be totally up front and offer to pay whatever it costs (it won't be much I'm sure) for a small sheet or offcut or ask if they can suggest one of their users/customers who may be able to supply if they feel they cannot post you a small piece. I've always had good response from manus that way.

saschagabor 21st September 2011 12:44 PM

I've tried the first one, but they would only sell to businesses. I'll check out that last one, thanks!

From my mailing spree I've found out that I can get a 2 m * 1 m large sheet for £130. But £245 gets me ten sheets of the same size from another vendor, and €500 gets me fifty sheets from Germany.

I've found numerous vendors that sell reticulated foam in small quantities, but not a single one of them has anything over 45 PPI...

saschagabor 23rd September 2011 10:23 PM

I'm not holding my breath, but there might be some foam coming my way soon. However, if that doesn't work out, I might have to settle for (at least for the time being) a relatively small sheet of 65 PPI.

I'm in no hurry quite yet, so I'll bide my time for now.

saschagabor 28th November 2011 02:58 PM

I believe it's time for an update.

It proved difficult to procure a smaller amount of 12 mm thick 80 PPI reticulated foam for a decent price, so I ended up ordering quite a lot.

This means that I'll be able to offer precut foam for others interested in building WD25a/t or other aperiodic cabinets. I'll precut a bunch of strips to 215 * 38 * 12 mm, but I'll also be able to offer a larger slab for custom dimensions.

I'll put up an ad under "For Sale" when everything is ready, but if you're interested then you're welcome to drop me a line.

saschagabor 7th August 2012 07:02 PM

I've been sporadically posting up ads for foam in the 'for sale' section, but since they get purged regularly (which is mostly a good thing) I just wanted to say that I still can offer foam for those who need it.

So, until I'm posting to say that I'm all out of foam, you're welcome to drop me a line. Just tell me how much you need and where you'd like it shipped to, and I'll get back to you with an offer.

Graham in Bristol 29th October 2012 11:34 AM

Hello,

I am building a pair of WD25A loudspeakers so am writing to ask if you are still able to supply a piece of 80 PPI reticulated foam for the ports.
Thanks in anticipation,
Graham

VantheMan 29th October 2012 04:13 PM

Send SASCHA a PM. I bought some from him last month for my 25TEx.No hassle.

saschagabor 31st October 2012 06:49 AM

Need foam? PM saschagabor!

I can still supply foam and I've just answered your PM. Sorry for the late reply, but I didn't get an email saying that this thread had been updated. Luckily VantheMan sent you in the right direction, because I got the PM notification :)

PS: Looking forward to seeing a photo of your finished speakers VantheMan!

VantheMan 31st October 2012 09:11 AM

Hi,
Nearly there.
Just a tip for anyone making his WD25 using DIY Arcena. Don´t try and be perfect. One millimetre less is much easier to sort than one millimetre more.
Having stuck my chipboard to the MDF on the side panels I now need to "shave" the chipboard edges without touching the MDF for them to fit the rest of the box. Not much fun.
Chris

saschagabor 22nd May 2018 08:57 PM

I just wanted to say that I still have a good amount of foam left :)

westers 26th September 2018 07:14 PM

Sascha, I sent you a PM about some foam