View Single Post
Old 29th July 2016, 08:26 PM

Default Re: Rescued! 4 X Tannoy 15" Dual Concentric HPD/385/8 Speakers

Hello Tom,

I would second what John says about contacting Lockwood Audio. That is exactly what I did when I got my 12" HPDs about 8 years ago. They replace the whole cone with speech coil and surround. You are virtually getting a new bass unit. At the time, it cost about 300 pounds to have a pair done. This may sound like a lot, but remember that they be worth more than that when repaired so you will not loose money and if you decide to keep them, you will find that you will need to spend a lot more than that to buy something that sounds as good.

Don't be tempted to use a general loudspeaker repair service. Replacement foam surrounds are available but Tannoys are a non standard size so a repair with a "general purpose" part will always be a bodge.

I would not be tempted to use them as they are. In that state you will learn very little about how they should sound. Also, the bashed about unit may well be repairable as long as the magnet and chassis are not damaged.

You say money is tight, how about getting one of the "spare" units repaired and sell it to raise money for the next ?

Regards, Phil.

More info here: http://www.hilberink.nl/speaker.htm