World-Designs-Forum  

Go Back   World-Designs-Forum > World Designs > WD Amplifiers
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Gallery Today's Posts Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

WD Amplifiers For discusson of World Designs Amplifiers

Old 21st August 2019, 07:24 PM

Default Re: WD MCT SUT question

Thanks for the advice, John, duly noted about the cable twisting. It was my first go and wasn't sure how tight to twist, luckily I did no damage in this instance but will certainly keep it in mind for any future projects.

Regarding hum, I seem to remember reading something before starting this project, though can't for the life of me find the article again, that it can sometimes be useful to slightly rotate the transformers within the enclosure in order to optimise things from a hum pickup perspective. Did I imagine that or is there some possible benefit?

Thanks again,

Chris
Old 21st August 2019, 09:20 PM

You are right. Always worth a try rotating any Transformer if you suffer hum. Do as you suggest but also have a go at what John suggests if a hum problem continues. The other option of course is moving the phonostage well away from corresponding PSU and Pre units. In the past, John has recommended at least a distance of 1 metre. Good if you can accommodate it. Many system set ups make this difficult. Anyway, at the moment you have not reported a hum problem so we’ll wait and see what you report.
Old 29th August 2019, 07:45 AM

Thanks, I haven't tried further experimentation re. placement yet but will do so at some point, have just been enjoying the music as it is at present and am very happy with.

Whilst looking for something else about transformers, I came across a couple of links that seemed interesting in case anyone else searches here on a similar topic.

(Bosnian, I think) page about an Audio Note SUT kit which appears to use same/similar transformers to the MCT ones, made by Morite:

https://audionotekits.wordpress.com/...step-up-trafo/

An old Audio Note article on building their DIY SUT which has pictorial guides too (would have been useful if I'd seen them before I started):

http://www.ankaudiokits.com/PDF/Manu...it1_LowRes.pdf
Old 29th August 2019, 08:49 AM
Super Moderator

Not surprising,
Andy Grove did the original designs for WAD and possibly WD under the pseudonym "Gary Devon" as I believe he was working for AN at the time, and as far as I am aware still does. Morite were one of the many manufacturers around at the time but have since gone as sadly have a lot of others.
Our current manufacturer is very good, but of course makes our items as a "sideline" - economies of scale of course.

John