World-Designs-Forum  

Go Back   World-Designs-Forum > The Coffee Bar
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Gallery Today's Posts Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

The Coffee Bar Drop in for a chat or say hello if you're a new member!

Old 17th January 2018, 02:11 PM
Super Moderator

Default Re: Windows 10 Pro

Update i have just been informed that Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 has FSB. Old processors that have FSB (Front Side Bus) are not affected.i am told? It only affects new processors without FSB.So if you have a core 2 in the E range with FSB we should be fine if thats the case
Old 17th January 2018, 02:59 PM

Colin,
my wife has an Asus tablet with Windows 10 - I cannot stand it. I bought s/hand an Asus mini PC from an IT man that has a Linux 4 operating system.

It's one fault is that it comes with so much stuff that I will never need. I am forever having updates. The free Office Suite is just as good as Windows, it just has far more than I will ever need.

If someone could create a stripped down version of Linux, I'm certain that millions and millions of people would love to have it as an operating system.
Old 3rd May 2018, 05:51 PM
Super Moderator

HI all
Just a light update
Well I have been running the new windows creator build update spring 1803 home edition
For three days now without any problems so far, but I think I will wait a bit before I do my other windows pre PC

Hereís a YouTube link to a UK computer tech guy by the name of Britec09 with some new tips on this 1803 version that may be off interest too you he also has his own forum but I have not joined it yet

YouTube link https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=THUyhtyPOeU&t=0s
And forum link http://www.briteccomputers.co.uk/forum/
Hope it helps
Colin
Old 5th May 2018, 12:49 PM

I've just updated four computers, two laptops and two PCs with no problems.

Everything in this post is my honest opinion based on what i thought I knew at that very moment in time.
Old 5th May 2018, 03:33 PM

Glad the update worked for you.

My PC updated itself to Windows 1803 starting Tuesday and needing to be left on overnight to complete. Come Wednesday morning and the mouse buttons no longer work. This ment I couldnít get beyond the blue screen describing the new features. Found lots of references by IT people on forums with mouse and other problems. One of them said Microsoft are due to roll out updates to correct these starting on the 8th. Hope this fixes it. In the meantime Iíve had to role back to the earlier version to be able to use the PC. Glad Iíve got an iPad as well or Iíd be totally stuck not knowing what to do.

Seems my luck was used when update 170? (whatever the number was) went smoothly.

It all makes me wonder if Linux might be worth a look.

Frank
Old 5th May 2018, 04:40 PM
Super Moderator

Yes this 1903 version is the first one that has worked ok for me
With all versions to date, I am unable to use three of my software programs that I have paid for licence keys and it seems the three software companies in question will not releases any patches .

but just want me the buy a new licensed versions
It Also seems like the online tack guys are forever posting how to fix something in windows 10

If I wanted to spend my time fixing windows I would find work to do that somewhere but I donít want to do that:
I just wish I could just use my pc, s for the things they were intended for
I have still to upgrade my other Windows pro pc well we will see how that goís later
Ho and now windows player has going to
Sorry grip over
Colin
Old 11th May 2018, 08:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stanton View Post
Glad the update worked for you.

My PC updated itself to Windows 1803 starting Tuesday and needing to be left on overnight to complete. Come Wednesday morning and the mouse buttons no longer work. This ment I couldnít get beyond the blue screen describing the new features. Found lots of references by IT people on forums with mouse and other problems. One of them said Microsoft are due to roll out updates to correct these starting on the 8th. Hope this fixes it. In the meantime Iíve had to role back to the earlier version to be able to use the PC. Glad Iíve got an iPad as well or Iíd be totally stuck not knowing what to do.

Seems my luck was used when update 170? (whatever the number was) went smoothly.

It all makes me wonder if Linux might be worth a look.

Frank

Well the hoped for fix for my above problems have come good. Windows 1803 has just updated again and this time it went quickly and easily. Even fixed a problem MS Edge had in finding the internet and it is running smoothly for the first time.

If only Microsoft were less eager to inflict their learning curve onto unwilling customers. Ho well, 'Allís well that ends well', as I used to be told when I was a boy.

Frank
Old 12th May 2018, 08:13 AM

Glad they fixed it for you.

Luckier here, 2 PCs and 1 laptop updated to 1803 (before the 'patch') and they had no issues.
A big plus was they All did their updates first time too which is a first.
Just 2 more laptops to do for family now...

I do like some of the new features too. And is it just me or does the 1803 version just work a little slicker?

Last edited by snowman_al; 12th May 2018 at 11:25 AM. Reason: typo
Old 12th May 2018, 09:52 AM
Super Moderator

Morning all,
Ours haven't installed 1803 yet and I wondered why as we're set for auto updates.
Entered winver in the search box and they're still on 1709.
A quick google says the trigger is clicking check for updates so will give it a go in a bit
Old 12th May 2018, 10:22 AM

Hi Snowman

Yes I think Windows is working a little quicker since the update. Apps definitely seem to open quicker.

Frank