World-Designs-Forum  

Go Back   World-Designs-Forum > DIY Projects > Amplifiers
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Gallery Today's Posts Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Amplifiers Your DIY amplifier designs

Old 19th April 2006, 05:46 AM
Super Moderator

Default Help IS this a Good Phono Amp

Hi All
Now i am servicing my AR EB101 turntable and getting back into vinyl I am looking for good simple phono stage as i have only built one valve Jobie a point to point headphone amp I will have too keep it simple I found this one named the Tweety phono amp hear http://www.platenspeler.com/diy/prea...ety_schema.gif

Can anyone advise me on this Little phono amp if its good and worth spending money on good parts
Thanks
Colin
Old 19th April 2006, 08:55 AM

Default Re: Help IS this a Good Phono Amp

Haven't heard it, so I don't know. Its not any simpiler than the Phono-II circuit though, and we do know that does sound good...

If by any chance its not prior art, then the copyright is retained by me.
Old 19th April 2006, 04:19 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickG
Haven't heard it, so I don't know. Its not any simpiler than the Phono-II circuit though, and we do know that does sound good...
Yes I have the diy supp on the Phono-II circuit But problem may be getting the transformer for the phono II unless WD are gowning supply it i am thinking of this tweety phono amp have a transformer with the correct B+ heater voltages plus some parts more on this phono amp hear
http://www.platenspeler.com/diy/prea..._tweety_1.html
Old 19th April 2006, 04:29 PM

It should be small and neat , and low current draw, but I don't like it too much . Low current ECC83 first stage with high Zout ( near 100k ) likely to be overloaded driving a 120k RIAA network ; followed by a very low current ECC83 in SRPP which wouldn't drive any sort of load without sounding bad . It'll sound 'tubey' and distorted at a guess .
I think there are better small cheap circuits out there . The one I started with ( ECC83 SRPP x2 ) was a little better , especially with a couple of modifications . I've seen quite a good simple circuit by Thorsten recently on DIY Audio forum, which would likely be a LOT better . I can't find it from work unfortunately, maybe someone else can help . He posts as something like Kieu Yang Wang on DIYAudio btw .

Mark
Old 19th April 2006, 07:11 PM

I used two back to back 9v torroids to provide the HT and heater supply. I did have a phono-ii transformer, I think I gave it to Ian. Did you use that TX Ian?

If by any chance its not prior art, then the copyright is retained by me.
Old 19th April 2006, 08:15 PM

This is Thorsten's simple phono - Clive built one thought it was very good.

cheers,

-- Andrew
Attached Images
File Type: gif TL's ECC83 ECC88 phono_small.gif (7.0 KB, 49 views)
Old 19th April 2006, 08:42 PM
Super Moderator

Thanks for help with this i think i will go for the WAD Phono II Has anyone got a component and wiring layout plan for it as this would help me a lot too get the build right also would this mains transformer be OK its the Code VT Price £21.73 at the bottom of the page

http://www.livinginthepast.demon.co.uk/xformer.html
Old 19th April 2006, 09:58 PM

Hi Colin,

If you are going with the original WAD design then access the Website as there is still some useful stuff there.

http://www.worldaudiodesign.com/

On the right of the front page, select 'amplifiers' and scroll down to 'Series II Modular Pre-amplifier' which has a photo of the three units. Here you'll find diagrams for all three units that will help. As we don't know how long this site will remain, it would be good to copy now to your PC/print off. If you click on the options for PSU II unit only you will find the information files are corrupted. The Phono II only option will still give you some useful stuff but most of it is on the 'Modular' section as described above.

Contact WD. I doubt they can help with chassis', but may be good for PCB's and other components etc. Act fast so as not to be disappointed.

Best wishes,

Greg
Old 19th April 2006, 11:10 PM
Super Moderator

Thanks Greg
Got is Plus some Amps Have emailed WD regarding the transformer
thank,s
Colin
Old 20th April 2006, 02:17 PM
Super Moderator

After getting the old WAD phonoII schematic from the old site I noted in the PSU Schematic the transformer secondary is 250volts @60mA and the new PSU secondary is 270volts@60mA
Which one is correct if i can use 250volts secondary i have a transformer with 250volts @100mA@12.6 can i use it and my choke is 15H@30mA
This will save the hunt for the WAD transformer and save money
Colin