World-Designs-Forum  

Go Back   World-Designs-Forum > World Designs > General
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Gallery Today's Posts Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

General For anything else WD or hifi

Old 13th October 2008, 12:11 PM

Default 22R 0.1% quality resistors

I decided that as I have changed all the caps in my S/S phono stage I might as well take a look at the resistors.

Most are spot on still but as all the caps that Norbert used in his original phono stage are crap I'll be surprised if better quality ones don't sound better.

Problem is I can get all the values I want in Welwyn RC55Y except one - 22R, does anyone know if there is an alternative to using 1% Tantalum?

Interestingly I remember Dr.John said a long time ago now " never trust what the banding on a resistor says, measure it".

Very sound advice - I measured all the Rs and there was one anomoly - a pair that measured 100R/101R but the banding clearly implied Yellow/Violet/Black/Red and Brown 1% = 47K. Very good advice Dr.John.
Old 13th October 2008, 08:09 PM

Default Re: 22R 0.1% quality resistors

I got the answer myself - naked Vishays.
Old 18th October 2008, 01:39 PM

Default Re: 22R 0.1% quality resistors

I decided to re-check all my readings and just as well - I found another pair that should be 220R but in fact measure 20-21R.

So this leaves me uneasy about ordering expensive resistors (naked Vishays) without confirmation re. schematic values.

I found a German guy on another forum who has the schematics, I'm now waiting for admin to confirm my registration, so I can pm him to confirm my m/meter readings.

Does anyone else find it strange that 2 pairs of resistors have totally wrong banding info - I simply don't believe that 47K have drifted to 100R or 220R have drifted to 20-21R.

It's no good contacting Norbert Lehman as he does'nt bother to reply.