World-Designs-Forum  

Go Back   World-Designs-Forum > World Designs > WD Amplifiers
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Gallery Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

WD Amplifiers For discusson of World Designs Amplifiers

Old 18th August 2008, 03:16 PM

Default Re: 5881 SE construction manual

Hi Adrian,

Thanks for this. It's good to know you like it as much as the 300B! The mains Tx should support KT66 OK but I would not want to stick them in if they sounded worse than the 6L6's.

Will decide once unit is built what to go for. I have to stick to these valves due to the OP Tx being spec'd for the valve anode impedance. (Sowter trannies)

Thanks again

Adam
Old 19th August 2008, 05:05 PM

Hi Adam, interesting thread this and this is my first post. I built and still use 5881pse and can say its a great valve amp. It never seemed to get as much publicity at the time as 5881pp but then it did cost a lot more. I use Svetlana 6l6gc,s but can say Sovtek 5881,s do sound good. Mine has proved 100% reliable and i built it ,i think in 96. I still have the original supplement it was published in and all the build instructions. I suppose it could do with a service after all this time. Make sure you fit good valve bases as the pin holders are now a bit loose and are causing some noise and need changing. Good luck with the build, you won't be disapointed.
Old 21st August 2008, 05:17 PM

Hi Jimg,

Thanks...its seems like whichever way I go it should turn out to be a good amp. Will let you know how I get on.

Have got two valve VU meters so just thinking about how to mount. I have the 5881 chassis but may go for an oak frame and metal top. Have also brought 2 valve rectifiers so may keep the power supply separate. Still in the design stage.

Cheers

Adam