World-Designs-Forum  

Go Back   World-Designs-Forum > World Designs > WD Amplifiers
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Gallery Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

WD Amplifiers For discusson of World Designs Amplifiers

Old 31st July 2014, 01:26 PM

Default Re: 6550 integrated amp

Hi Steve, as I remember it, the output cable is integral with the output transformers, as for the relay PCB I don't think it is of the same dimensions as the input holes on the 6550, so you need to fit it close by, or over the top of the phono input's on stilts with short wires, this PCB was designed for the WD amp's and fits over the phonos making direct connection. BOB
Old 31st July 2014, 02:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob orbell View Post
Hi Steve, as I remember it, the output cable is integral with the output transformers, as for the relay PCB I don't think it is of the same dimensions as the input holes on the 6550, so you need to fit it close by, or over the top of the phono input's on stilts with short wires, this PCB was designed for the WD amp's and fits over the phonos making direct connection. BOB
Which is why I recommended using the shielded cable. Start with getting the amp running in a fairly standard form before introducing such non standard parts/architecture....

Remember, Steve's new to all this.
Old 31st July 2014, 03:16 PM

Ref. Steve's post page 10, he has acquired the input relay PCB and want's to fit it, if he asks for help I for one will try and help him, I agree starting from the base and working up is the best way to go, but it seems to me that he wants to fit the relay board now. BOB
Old 31st July 2014, 03:17 PM
Super Moderator

Hi Steve,
The simplest way to fit the relay board is to solder short (2") lengths of tinned copper wire (TCW) about 20SWG to the various pads on the PCB, decide how far away spaced you require it then bend them to match the sockets on the rear of the amplifier and then solder them in accordingly. You will only need one earth wire per channel. The control wires from switches to PCB should ideally be multicoloured for ease of identification.
Good quality thin coaxial wire for the signal outputs, plain copper or silver plated, your choice.
Make sure that you get the diodes on the relay board fitted the correct way round, make sure the DC supply from the heater rectifier is the correct way around.
I would also fit the relays in sockets for ease of replacement, that way you know they will never fail, whereas if you solder them in Sods Law says they will fail.
If in doubt ask here and someone will help out.

John
Old 2nd August 2014, 09:01 PM

HI folks
thanks for the information i had all ready talked to matthew about the fitting of the PCB relay board but i thought i would ask the question on the forum as some body might have come up with a better way or have some good tips like the fitting of the relays in sockets i went for the PCB relay board as it looks less work i hope

regards steve