World-Designs-Forum  

Go Back   World-Designs-Forum > World Designs > WD Amplifiers
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Gallery Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

WD Amplifiers For discusson of World Designs Amplifiers

Old 8th November 2008, 01:02 PM

Default 300b pp v WD88VA Valve Amplifier

Greetings,

I've been a forum member for a while but this is my first post - the questions I've had always seem to have been answered already.

I've been running a pair of 300b pp for a few years now, driving a very easily driven pair of speakers (97db/6 ohm) but have now secured some Tannoy Ardens (94db/8 ohm) and am minded to try out the WD88VA Valve Amplifier
with its greater power output of 35 watts.

Any thoughts from WD88VA uers as to their sound quality versus the 300b pp would be appreaciated.

Thanks,

Dub...
Old 10th November 2008, 02:18 PM

Default Re: 300b pp v WD88VA Valve Amplifier

Are you sure you need more power? My Cheviots (12" HPDs) make enough noise for me run from my KEL84 (15W).

Regards, Phil.
Old 10th November 2008, 03:52 PM
Super Moderator

Hi Dub,

Agreed with Phil, I don't think you'll hear the difference between 26W and 35W with 94dB speakers in a domestic room. I use 32W (original 300Bpp stereo chassis) in the system at the mo with 84dB speakers in a largish room and it goes loud enough!

I also have a pair of your 300Bpp monos, very nice indeed, and have heard WD88 (though only at Bristol show) and it is superb. I had a re-worked Kit88 a while back with excellent transformers and it was in that league, even-handed and refined, a very nice example of the KT88 breed. I haven't heard it enough though to choose from a sound quality point of view.

Rich
Old 10th November 2008, 04:10 PM

there was a hint that the new kt88 may be as good an amp as the 300b, we need to establish if this is so.
Old 19th November 2008, 06:40 PM

Thank you for your replies Phil, Rich and Ian.

I’ve been laid low with flu for a while so haven’t made any posts lately.

However, it did give me the opportunity to do some listening tests between the 300b pp and the WD88VA.

To recap, I have driven a pair of Russ Andrews Quave speakers for a few years with a 300b pp, which provided a superb sounds stage and a very high level of detail, as they have a 10” short throw driver with a claimed 97db/6ohm sensitivity. This provided a sound that was slightly light on bass for my preference so I added a 2000 watt 12” sub to fill in the lower register.

This combination kept me happy for a few years until a friend bought a pair of Tannoy Berkleys which I found quite intriguing.

I then had the opportunity to buy a pair of Tannoy Ardens with 15” dual concentric long-throw drivers (plus I had the space and lack of neighbours). A slightly harder to drive speaker.

When coupled with the 300b pp, they sounded fine and could drive them well beyond safe listening levels, but it sounded like I had lost some detail, hence I got hold of the new integrated WD88VA with the XL mods and I’ve been smiling ever since.

I’ve got the detail back; on demanding passages of music with dynamic transitions it has the extra oomph to make it all sound so effortless, and I’ve appreciated the extra depth from the increased frequency response of 7hz versus 11hz – Keith Hudson’s ‘Pick a Dub’ has never sounded quite so raw and cavernous.

One key feature is just how quiet the amp is compared to the 300b pp when no music is playing; the silence between musical notes and the sounds of attack and decay.

The sub is now totally redundant.

I’ve experimented with a range of music, from jazz through to reggae/dub, rock, classical, acoustic without any issues.

99% of the music I listen to is vinyl, so I can’t really comment about digital sources.

In short the WD88VA is very nimble, open and powerful, and is slightly more compact in size than a pair of 300b pps.
Old 19th November 2008, 06:51 PM
Super Moderator

Hello again and thanks for letting us know. Presumably you've now bought WD88 and are happy!

Listening at the bottom end I can quite see where you're coming from. My Kit88 with Sowter optxs saw off every amp it played against in that department. Coyote from Mark Knopfler Rag Pickers Dream was a favourite I seem to recall...

Power may be a reason but probably the neg feedback gives a little better control of the large Tannoy drivers (mine are B139 so might have been a similar thing too).

Rich
Old 19th November 2008, 08:02 PM

Yes - very happy with the amp.
The bass is more under control and 'textured'.
B139? According to a friend my speakers are some kind of varient of the hpd that were supplied to Lockwoods for monitoring cabinets although they are fitted into an Arden cabinet.
Old 19th November 2008, 08:36 PM
Super Moderator

Kef B139 Mine are early 90's, must have stopped them soon after, just run in now

I remember Ardens and Berkleys well first time around, big sound!

Rich
Old 20th November 2008, 06:50 PM

Hello Dub,
Glad to hear you are happy with the sound. I am delighted with my Cheviots. Thinking about it, it must be about their 1st birthday (in my possession).
I don't think Tannoy did different versions of the drivers, yours will be identical to the ones Lockwood used. If you have not already done so, you can make a big improvement by replacing the internal wiring and crossover capacitors in your Tannoys. If you have not yet seen it, there is some interesting info on these two sites.

http://www.44bx.com/tannoy/index.html
http://www.hilberink.nl/speaker.htm

Cheers, Phil.
Old 19th February 2009, 03:00 PM

Sorry - should have replied ages ago...

Yes Tannoy Ardens have a very big sound - I don't want to tamper with the cross-overs, I'd like to keep them original.
My Tannoy obsessed friend now informs me that my 15" drivers are different to the ones in his Berkley's and were the versions fitted to Westminsters?
I have recently been experimenting with Mullard long plate ECC83's and wow they really do offer a lower deeper sound with more punch, detailed mids and a silky top end.