World-Designs-Forum  

Go Back   World-Designs-Forum > World Designs > General
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Gallery Today's Posts Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

General For anything else WD or hifi

Old 27th February 2019, 09:10 PM

Default Darkvoice 336se

Hi All,
Not sure if this is the right place but here goes.
I’m thinking of a DV headphone amp any one had any experience of the amp good or bad and any worthwhile mods to be done?
I’m told they run very hot even for valves.
I’ve got several sennies and byerdynamic and the Fostex T50. At the moment I’m using an old original but still good JLH Chiara and a Heed Canamp
Your thoughts would be much appreciated
Martin
Old 28th February 2019, 08:08 AM

Default Re: Darkvoice 336se

Hi Martin, before you waist more money have you ever had a demo of Stax ear speakers ? if not then please try to have a listen, they are electrostatic, and come in solid state and valve energiser options, they are at the top of the range expensive, but what a sound, I have had mine for almost 40 years and never needed to take the lid off the energiser, the only down side is that the bass dose not punch the hell out of your ears, but it all sounds so natural, I have never had the same results from moving coil head phones. Bob
Old 28th February 2019, 12:11 PM

Hi Bob umm well a thought but price is a bit high at the moment so may look on fleebay but itís a thought. Any pointers to the models to listen to. Think it would be entry level for a starter.
I have a pair of 57s which I liked but have had to pack up for lack of room for the present. I must admit the Heed and the Byers are very good indeed.
I upgraded the caps and used mills resistors a it is very very good (with the right cans)
Martin
Old 28th February 2019, 01:38 PM

Martin, all but the solid state Stax are excellent and the Stax Omega, bloody hell. but the price, I did think about changing my 404 headset for the Omega, but at the time they alone were in excess of £2000.00, but the sound, . Bob
Old 28th February 2019, 04:34 PM

Well Bob sounds good. So you donít recommend looking at one of the entry level amps around 400 with a set of cans so say 700-900 for the whole set up?
Donít think I can justify any more for cans it would need to go into other units amp or turntable I think
Old 28th February 2019, 05:34 PM

Martin, I tried the entry level set up first and then tried the top set up at the time, however, I opted for the 007t energiser and the 404 head set, at the time it was £1295.00, but worth every penny, try and get a demo, I assure you you will not be disappointed, and you won't know until you try. Bob
Old 1st March 2019, 12:58 AM

Well sure they sound very good indeed Bob but totally outside my budget for phones now but thanks for the info, possibly next when I’ve got all the other stuff sorted. I’ll keep it in mind

Last edited by Pingushome; 1st March 2019 at 01:11 AM.
Old 2nd March 2019, 10:12 AM

Pingushome,

I bought a D/V 336SE via Massdrop @ US$ 199. I was also lucky in that I live in France and the item was shipped from the USA to Germany, therefor 'in transit' so no EU import charge of 20%, levied on total cost ie shipping costs was incurred.

They are no longer made but there must be a stock of them because they always seem to be offered every few months. Also check out Hifi Shark for a s/hand one. Come to that look for a s/hand La Figuro 339 which has L&R volume control.

One problem with the D/V 336SE is the volume - there is only one sweet spot, indeed only one position for comfortable listening. This is easily overcome by attenuating the incoming signal or as I did. remove the supplied pot and use an external volume control.

If all this seems like a lot of hassle I would say that the D/V is worth it. It's a shame that WAD never offered OTL amps. I've had WAD and BADA h/amps the latter heavily modded but the D/V sound is something else.

The construction is first class. It also acts as a preamp but I removed the components and wiring for this.

Check out comments on various forums - with some component changes you will find that there is real space between instruments and voices are really 3D. It's like being part of the soundscape rather than being outside it, listening.

Cans/h/phones - very personal - Beyer are great but too many models have a very bright topend aka listening fatigue. Senns I find are too dark (I have both 600 and 650s).

Again look for s/hand and choose a model that allows you to fit your own choice of cable. Even the most expensive cans have what I consider are crap cables - don't get conned into buying hugely expensive a/market cables in the future - make your own.

Listening via cans/h/phones is becoming more and more popular - at a stroke you've zapped crappy room acoustics, WAF problems and if your into Queen/Hendrix/Stones etc. late at night - no problem.
Old 7th July 2019, 11:30 PM

Thanks Black Stuart. Sorry I missed your post earlier but it’s given me some food for thought.
I have more or less ruled out the bottlehead on design. I just don’t like all the cables plugging in on top and think it may be difficult to change, in particular the mains input and switch.
With the DV volume I suppose a stepped attenuator or the pot mods on here for the pre11 would work.(shunt pot)
I’ll look up some of the other mods too and hopefully save a bit on the wd ha
Any thoughts or advice on changes would be gratefully accepted
Thanks again
Martin