World-Designs-Forum  

Go Back   World-Designs-Forum > World Designs > General
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Gallery Today's Posts Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

General For anything else WD or hifi

Old 30th August 2016, 11:51 PM

Default Re: Vinyl cleaning gadgets

ah yes the Bib groov kleen its all I use to clean off LP's.
I have a disco antistat kit which is really only ever used as an act of desperation if I ppick up a record that's very grungy
Andy.
Old 22nd April 2019, 05:22 PM

Default Re: Vinyl cleaning gadgets

For many years I used the Pixall sticky tape roller in conjunction with a Goldring carbon fibre brush. The brush lifted dust up from the grooves but deposited it in a line - which the Pixall was ideal for lifting. Sadly Pixall refills are not available any more but I have found a very satisfactory (and cheap!) substitute: a 25m roll of Wilco low tack masking tape only costs 2 or 3. It lifts the line of dust perfectly, leaving no deposit on the record.

For proper cleans of old records I use a Spin Clean wet cleaner. The stylus often picks up a lot of detritus afterwards and some records have taken 2 or 3 cleans to sound their best. However it wasn't expensive and some seriously mucky secondhand buys have come up beautiful.

Another cheap and cheerful tip (courtesy of Expert Stylus Company): for the dirt that won't come off with a dry brush an effective and safe stylus cleaner is alcohol-free lens cleaner, which you can buy from opticians. Spray a little on a cotton bud, dab the stylus gently and hey presto the dirt is gone. Be careful to buy alcohol-free cleaner - on some cartridges alcohol can affect the adhesive that holds the stylus in place.