World-Designs-Forum  

Go Back   World-Designs-Forum > World Designs > General
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Gallery Today's Posts Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

General For anything else WD or hifi

Old 6th September 2017, 03:03 PM

Thumbs down A gun, wax and hearing problems.

A long, long time ago I was working as an extra (damn good money for the time, circa 1966) on an anti-war film - Oh What A Lovely War. Sadly far too ahead of it's time by at least 20 years.

So there I was with about 6 others as a WW1 squaddie armed with a Lee-Enfield Mk 11 rifle and a magazine of 10 rounds of blanks. Unfortunately one of the other extras was a uni student, they tend to have s#~~ for brains. This moron was standing quite close to me and squeezed the trigger which was really stupid and not looking at the direction of the weapon.

I thought he had shattered my ear drum. He was shocked when I fixed my bayonet with every intention of disembowelling him, unfortunately 3 of the other extras stopped me.

Decades later I had a hearing test and he had indeed impaired the hearing in my left ear but luckily not by much, though I do have little tinnitus but not enough to really impair my listening to music.

The last few weeks the hissing has got worse, a lot worse. So I went to my young French doctor fearing the worst and here's the good news - it's wax in the ears. I've been through this procedure once before in the UK and it's surprising just how much gunge can build up in the ears.

For those that love listening to music and develop serious hearing problems, you have my sympathy. My wife picked up a virus when we lived in Galicia and it has left her with very bad tinnitus, so much so that the only way she can truly listen to music is by using a h/amp which she does'nt really like but there is no alternative.

About 20 years ago I bought her a Technics SL1200 fitted with an SME arm fitted by SME at their factory just up the road from where the man selling it lived. It's a sad story as he was retired and living in sheltered accommodation and his one love was listening to music. A really crap doctor had totally over prescribed x 10 times a med. which left him with raging tinnitus.

One of the reasons I stopped working on big construction sites is because when I got home at night all I wanted was peace and quiet and simply could'nt listen to music at all.
Old 7th September 2017, 12:28 AM

Default Re: A gun, wax and hearing problems.

Well done Stuart for anecdotes that provide a laugh and keep the forum alive. Your post was most entertaining. I enjoyed it
Old 7th September 2017, 12:57 PM
Super Moderator

Yes good post Stuart and glad you're coping with it ok. I find the drops you get from the chemist clear mine after a few days.
Old 7th September 2017, 04:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg. View Post
Well done Stuart for anecdotes that provide a laugh and keep the forum alive. Your post was most entertaining. I enjoyed it

I have the occasional irrigation - of the ears that is, not the type publicised years ago in Exchange and Mart - in the hope that things might improve but they never do. It's really irritating having to listen to music via hearing aids knowing that these deliberately distort the flat response curve so expensively acquired. I have a graphic equaliser but this doesn't really help.

It's hardly a consolation but at least in my case the damage was self-inflicted - too many hours sandwiched between Pratt and Whitney's finest but to be so afflicted because of such stupid and thoughtless behaviour of another would be beyond irritation. I feel for you, Stuart.

"Granddad, this TV's really loud"
Old 7th September 2017, 09:25 PM

I first had my ears de-waxed in my early 20s and now at the age of 50 they need doing about every 2 years, and that is with regular doses of olive oil to keep the wax soft. They never block at the same time and the nurse won't clear an ear unless it is properly blocked so having one ear not working properly is becoming a pretty regular thing for me.

Worryingly, I have been told by one of the nurses at my practice that the NHS no longer fund it so many surgeries no longer offer it. Mine does, at least for now.
Apparently places like Specsavers now offer ear services but I really don't fancy having some "for profit" shop doing that kind of work. Apparently every time it is done there is a small risk of ear damage.

Phil.
Old 8th September 2017, 08:23 AM

I completely agree with your comments about ear damage Phil, my late farther worked at the Stuarts and Lloyds steel works, at Corby, all his working life after the war, he had his ears syringed regularly, but was almost totally def by his mid sixty's. BOB
Old 8th September 2017, 11:22 AM
Super Moderator

Stick with the drops properly for 5 days and only have them syringed as a last resort. Get them checked but never poke anything in to clean them. The wax cleans your ears and syringing them has a risk of damage which is why it's been routinely discontinued.
Old 9th September 2017, 10:12 AM

Baggy trousers and Bob Orbell,
I'm sure that the bosses knew full well the damage that excessive noise does to the workers ears. Just as they knew full well by 1920 that asbestos was a killer and a terrible way to die but kept quiet - the high profile casualty of course was Steve McQueen. He only had exposure to asbestos for two weeks unloading this stuff from a warship in San Diego harbour, that was enough to kill him years later.

There are so many things that kids could be warned about in their last year at school but that would be really bad for big business.

Richard, yes I do realise there are dangers in any kind of intrusive action with the ear but various people have been saying 'your shouting' for a few years now and I'm missing quite a lot of detail if I don't used cans to listen to music - I will take the chance and it will be only the second time I will have had this procedure used on my ears. Is'nt it funny but my wife is one of the lucky ones and never had this wax problem. It would be interesting to do a study to find out if the vast majority of those who have this wax problem worked or were exposed to high levels of noise.

Phil Y I was surprised that my doctor said he would do the irrigation, it may not be so in other practises in France but there is no practice nurse and there are 4 doctors working there.

Nowadays many occupations make workers use proper ear protection and about time.

Hearing aids are one of the biggest rip-offs you will ever encounter. The very best cost about 15 each to make - the end user get's screwed for around 1500 each and where is the EU to stop this huge rip-off - you have to be joking, it was set up by business men to benefit big business and still there are so many dummies who support this corrupt big business organisation - turkeys voting for Christmas.
Old 11th September 2017, 08:26 PM

Baggy trousers I hope you hav'nt shelled out for grossly over priced hearing aids from an audiologist. The mark up these shysters charge is bad enough in the UK but in France it is outrageous, same as opticians.

Unless you have very special needs have you checked out, in the ear hearing aids from Hong Kong/China. I'm going to buy a pair for Angela - should cost about 25 delivered.
Old 11th September 2017, 11:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Stuart View Post
Baggy trousers I hope you hav'nt shelled out for grossly over priced hearing aids from an audiologist. The mark up these shysters charge is bad enough in the UK but in France it is outrageous, same as opticians.

Unless you have very special needs have you checked out, in the ear hearing aids from Hong Kong/China. I'm going to buy a pair for Angela - should cost about 25 delivered.
Oh dear. I'm afraid that I'm yet another victim of the audiology scam.

I have had two pairs over the last five years and they both cost around 1500 although I have to say that I am pleased with the performance of the second pair. But not with the manufacturers - one side went on the blink and the thing had to be sent to Poland for repair taking 10 days. They used to fix these things in Scotland by return of post. So much for progress under the great EU.

I expect that my current aids are getting close to being time expired so will be very interested to know more about the Ying Tong connection.