World-Designs-Forum  

Go Back   World-Designs-Forum > World Designs > General
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Gallery Today's Posts Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

General For anything else WD or hifi

Old 18th October 2018, 11:33 AM

Default Simple Mains Filter and Spike Suppressor

Hi all
Just for my education, is the above (see FAQ tweaks) to suppress mains borne noises such as the fridge switching on causing a “click” or will it filter rfi being picked up by the power cord (or does this not happen?). Just wondering what benefits to expect. It looks like a fairly cheap and straightforward mod.
Cheers
Phil.
Old 18th October 2018, 12:23 PM

Default Re: Simple Mains Filter and Spike Suppressor

Hello Phil,

It should help with both but don't expect it to be cast iron a cure all. Depending on the nature of the cause they can be helpful but for airborne RF the valves and all components can also pick up noise directly. "our" power amps with their exposed valves, though looking pretty, are not ideal. Obviously phono stages will be worst, followed by preamps. I suppose they could reduce the noise floor as well so help improve low level detail potentially.
I have fitted the "all in one" encapsulated jobs to both my amps. They are cheap and easy to fit so why not?

It you have a particular problem, like a noisy fridge, sometimes the only way to cure it is at the source(back of the fridge). Technically, this is the best way to deal with it but obviously this should only be tackled if you have the required knowledge.

Phil.
Old 18th October 2018, 01:07 PM

+1. Good reply, Phil. I also fitted this filter to all my amps and feel there was an overall benefit in terms of keeping the noise floor as low as possible.
Old 20th October 2018, 04:34 AM

Hello

This will afford some tweeter protection to boot

Stuart
Old 20th October 2018, 10:07 PM

This problem is caused by using the cheapskate ring main, illegal in Europe. All electrics are via spurs.

Here's a thought why not supply the juice for a sound system by using batteries. Deep cycle golf cart batteries are'nt expensive.

Also worth thinking about is, input electricity from the mains into a battery bank from 12 - 6AM (cheapest rate) use a pure sine wave inverter with AVR - automatic voltage regulation +/- 1%. All equipment will last longer 2with a voltage for which it was designed, no noise, no spikes.

If you also invest in a quality diesel generator then Big Brother or abnormal weather can never shut you down. If you hav'nt stored enough juice from 12-6AM then in kicks the generator. The whole deal should'nt cost more than £4-5000. Put against the insane price of property in the UK that's peanuts.
Old 21st October 2018, 08:12 AM

You must be having a laugh Stuart. Bob
Old 21st October 2018, 10:05 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob orbell View Post
You must be having a laugh Stuart. Bob

Yes, why go to all that trouble, just lobby EDF to go DC mains we used to have them in Nottingham when I was born. When I started work in the motor trade in the early 70's the old boys used to tell us how they hooked car batteries to the bare wire element of an electric fire to tap off the right voltage for charging
Old 22nd October 2018, 11:24 AM

Not at all Bob,

the one time period that companies can't find people to sell electricity to is at night. work out how much electricity costs you at any other time, work out the cost over a year, factor in inflation (the price will never go down) over a 10 year period and see how much that comes to, has anyone ever done that - I doubt it. Spike free, no noise and no brown outs.

Sooner or later the UK housing market will start it's biggest crash ever, Sterling will collapse and the extra electricity that the French sell will not be available, they won't want worthless Sterling in payment, no one will. I remember being in Paris when I was 18 and Sterling was doing one of it's nose dives and no one would exchange Francs for Sterling.

That's just the economic case but there's another - supposing Big Brother decides to switch off, I can think of a few reasons why. Macawbers think this will never happen of course.

A guaranteed supply and peace of mind for around £5K, cheap at the price. Forgot to mention freak weather, only it's not so freakish anymore.
Old 22nd October 2018, 11:57 AM

This all seems a bit beyond a simple mains filter that costs about 3/6d.
Old 22nd October 2018, 01:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg. View Post
This all seems a bit beyond a simple mains filter that costs about 3/6d.
Indeed.

Meanwhile, I've got plans for a mini nuclear reactor to keep me (and my village) going when the power stops.

Everything in this post is my honest opinion based on what i thought I knew at that very moment in time.