World-Designs-Forum  

Go Back   World-Designs-Forum > World Designs > General
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Gallery Today's Posts Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

General For anything else WD or hifi

Old 14th December 2018, 12:51 PM

Default Soundsmith cartridges

Has anyone got actual experience of these fixed coil cartridges?

I've been looking to buy a lightly used ART 9, missed out on one from Belgium @ 20 hours Ä650 - damn.

Happened to see a thread on audigon started by someone who had both the ART 9 and the Soundsmith Zephyr.

I've seen quite a few reviews of the ART 9 and owning and enjoying the 33EV, the 9 is just more of the same - superb top,bottom and mids - rated way above it's price.

However this review on Audiogon was excellent, the S/S was richer, slightly more organic than the 9 at the expense of a little detail at the top end.

My very under rated Talk Audio fully discrete MC3 gives me all the loading options I require, especially if I go for the low o/put Aida.

What really appeals as a financial kicker is that the stylus/cantilever can be replaced @ $350 and as it's a fixed coil there is no degradation in the assembly as there is in an MC - moving coil.

Has anyone shelled out for a Soundsmith - I would appreciate the opinion of an actual user.
Old 23rd December 2018, 01:17 PM

Default Re: Soundsmith cartridges

So no one has experience of the Soundsmith cartridges.

I would have gone for a used (200hours) The Voice but it's not compatible with my medium mass arm.

I've decided to go for the Zephyr MMIC Star. There are some available in the USA @ $1299 but of course Sod's law kicks in - only for sale in the 48 States, so will buy from the UK @ £1,499.

So if 2000 hours is about right, that means £1.50 an hour - what can you get for £1.50 these days - not a lot.
Old 23rd December 2018, 05:42 PM

"Zephyr Star Sonics

As the measurements predicted, the Zephyr Star produced as wide a soundstage as Iíve experienced in my room: wide, deep, stable and three-dimensional. Images on the stage were three-dimensional and satisfyingly solid. More impressive was the presentationís liquidity and complete freedom from mechanical artifacts.

The Zephyr Star smoothly handled the toughest vocal sibilants and overall produced liquidity not compromised by a soft finish."

This will bring your extensive record collection to life" you have to admire quality products and what they can deliver for your music.

Chris.
Old 9th January 2019, 04:03 PM

If i could buy the Zephyr MIMC Star @ $1,119 I would, that's way cheaper than the best price anywhere in the EU.. As usual this price is only available in the 48 States - eta la vida.

I'm about to email an Aussie who may sell me an ART 9 for $US 600 (100 hours). It is a good match for my arm, especially if I change the h/shell - vamos a ver/let's see.