World-Designs-Forum  

Go Back   World-Designs-Forum > World Designs > WD Amplifiers
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Gallery Today's Posts Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

WD Amplifiers For discusson of World Designs Amplifiers

Old 14th August 2018, 01:17 PM

Default Speaker switching

Hi All,
I Am looking for info on how I can A/B Compare two pairs of speakers via a switch that does not detriment the connected Valve Amp, I am using WAD 300B and WD KT 88s, is there any suitable switch readily available or can one be easily constructed.
Thanks in anticipation

pager8 (Geoff)
Old 15th August 2018, 08:28 AM

Default Re: Speaker switching

Many switching box's about, but, this is NOT the way to compare speakers, with the first pair you should lower the volume to nil, change to the next speaker and bring the volume back up again, if you do it this way then each speaker is valued on the own merit. BOB
Old 15th August 2018, 09:58 AM

Hello Geoff,

This is just my opinion of course, but I think that unless the difference between the two bits of gear is very large, quick A-B testing is pretty useless.

If you can, I would suggest putting one pair in your system and leave them there several days and listen to as wide a range of music as possible. Then change to the other and repeat the process. Obviously, if one pair is being borrowed just for the day then this is not possible.

If you only have the speakers for one day, I would put one pair on and listen to a range of music for a couple of hours and then swap for the other pair for a couple of hours. Have a break for lunch and then repeat in the afternoon. For me personally, continuously swapping back and forth quickly becomes confusing to my brain, but maybe that is just me!

Phil.

PS I'm a little confused as to what exactly you are trying to achieve Geoff. You say that you are auditioning speakers then ask a question about swapping amps. If you could give a little more detail
about what exactly you are doing it may help with suggestions.

Last edited by Phil Y; 15th August 2018 at 04:21 PM. Reason: All sorts.
Old 15th August 2018, 04:42 PM

If you feel you have to, search for ''B-Tech BT12 2-Way Speaker Control''.
There are two types, try and get the 'one switch' model.

Only detriment to the amplifier would be if you have no speakers connected when switching (only possible with the two switch model). You should never run a valve amp without a load/speaker connected even at no volume.

I agree with the general opinion that it will not prove much, but just increase the number of connections and possibly worsen sound quality. And heed the turn it down between switching advice...
Old 15th August 2018, 10:31 PM

Geoff, sorry, Iím unclear what you are trying to achieve because you suggest A/B comparison of speakers but then list two amplifiers in your post. Are you looking to compare two pairs of speakers with a 300B PP and then compare two pairs of speakers using a WD88VA?

Let us know exactly what you want to achieve and then hopefully we can respond in a more informative manner. I already have thoughts on this but have not replied simply because I am unclear on what your actual ask is.

Let us/me know.
Old 16th August 2018, 10:03 AM

Hi All.
Sorry if I confused the issue, I only mentioned the Amps so as to denote that I am only using Valve and not solid state. What I would like to do is compare speakers using only one of my Amps at any one time.

Regards pager8 (Geoff)
Old 16th August 2018, 05:04 PM

As Phil has said, you will not get a true value of the speakers unless you spend time with each. BOB
Old 16th August 2018, 10:22 PM

Lightbulb Re: Speaker switching

Hi Geoff, ok, I think I understand what you are wanting to do. So, disregarding amps, you want to quickly switch between two different pairs of speakers to evaluate which pair is best for you.

My experience in this is that planting two different speakers next to each other and switching between them is not the best way to hear their individual attributes properly, however, as Iíve done this, I know it can be done to establish a +/- distinction in sound quality in a speaker comparison. Therefore, ignore all the nonsence about not having two speaker pairs in the room at the same time and just do it. You wonít get an ultimate sound, but for sure you should be able to distinguish which pair of speakers you prefer.

As for rapid switching, Iíve never tried it, albeit certain dealers did it around 30 years ago. John might chip in here on the practicalities of trying to do this satisfactorily. In my case, it was good to simply listen to one speaker pair and then quickly transfer cables to the next speaker inputs. Realistically, that was all that was needed. Rapid switching was not necessary.

I also go along with Philís advise. Listen to a specific track you know well and concentrate On what aspect of the sound you are interested in. Listen to the track several times on both sets of speakers and then make your decision. Quick switching actually is not really needed, IMHO.
Old 18th August 2018, 04:30 PM

Thanks to all responders to my query,
I am now contemplating my next move. Thanks once again

pager8 (Geoff)