World-Designs-Forum  

Go Back   World-Designs-Forum > World Designs > General
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Gallery Today's Posts Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

General For anything else WD or hifi

Old 18th August 2018, 06:00 PM

Default Screened lead

Hello all,

I was considering replacing some cheap screened lead inside an amp. Does anyone have any favourite cable that they would recommend that is available "off the reel" ?
I don't mind paying a few quid but nothing mega pricy please.

Phil.
Old 18th August 2018, 11:03 PM

Default Re: Screened lead

Do you require two conductors plus shield or one conductor plus shield?

Last edited by Greg.; 19th August 2018 at 09:56 AM.
Old 19th August 2018, 09:36 AM

It only needs to be single core Greg.
Old 19th August 2018, 09:44 AM

Are you talking signal wiring? If you are buy some solid core 24/26AWG wire, s/plated copper, high purity silver or 6N copper which is reasonably priced compared to 7N. If you have it - wipe all those wire types with Pro-Gold or similar.

Try Adtech in the UK and buy some oversized FEP, not Teflon, same family of fluoroplastics but way superior. 26AWG 0.4049mm, so, oversize FEP tubing TW18 1.14mm standard wall thickness @ 0.31 is fine.

Try using more than one conductor, you will be surprised at the difference (I use 4 x) and definitelyy use the same material for signal and return - do not twist, use straight. Use any kind of adhesive tape (not sellotape) in thin strips every few centimetres and don't tape tightly, to keep things tidy. Do not dress around the edge of an amp to make it look tidy, that serves no rational purpose, go straight from A-B.

Furutech now make some hugely expensive phono i/cs using multi conductors but then bollox it by using shielding and instead of using plain air they use foamed polyethylene, totally inferior to FEP.

Internal wiring like this is dead easy to make, inter/connects that need to have sheathing and be soldered to RCA/XLR are far more difficult but definitely worth the effort.

This is stating the obvious but is overlooked or stupidly brushed aside by many - signal wiring carries the signal. If you use the wrong kind of conductor and equally important really crap dialectric and twist the same because of theoretical problems - that don't actually exist then the signal becomes degraded and distorted. One of the first things I read when I became serious about musical reproduction is that - air is the best dialectric of all - now look at how virtually all signal cables are made.
Old 20th August 2018, 08:23 AM

Look at the van Dame range Phil, physically small and very neat, good neutral sound from their silver plated cable, and you can by it at any length. BOB
Old 20th August 2018, 10:18 PM

I have a few ideas to try now, so thanks chaps.

Phil.
Old 20th August 2018, 11:11 PM

Phil, the trouble with Van Damme is the overall thickness of the cable. Like you I am currently searching for a suitable single conductor with shield and finding something affordable is not easy. I have an eBay order coming in and if this works out, I値l publish the link. I just need to ensure it is suitable before sharing. Hi-Fi Collective have some nice stuff but it is expensive. I値l report back once my eBay purchase arrives

Oh, also consider if you are ok with silver plated copper. Personally it works fine for me, but I know others find it over bright

Invariably it will always be Suck and see.
Old 21st August 2018, 06:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg. View Post
Phil, the trouble with Van Damme is the overall thickness of the cable. Like you I am currently searching for a suitable single conductor with shield and finding something affordable is not easy. I have an eBay order coming in and if this works out, I値l publish the link. I just need to ensure it is suitable before sharing. Hi-Fi Collective have some nice stuff but it is expensive. I値l report back once my eBay purchase arrives

Oh, also consider if you are ok with silver plated copper. Personally it works fine for me, but I know others find it over bright

Invariably it will always be Suck and see.
Do you mean it's too large, or too small Greg ?, I find it very neat and tidy and I agree with you about silver compleatly, however, the Van Damme I used is anything but bright, to be honest, it is very neutral. BOB
Old 21st August 2018, 09:33 AM

Hello Greg,

Yes, do share if you find something good.
I have no preference for or against silver. Most of my bought interconnects are silver plated and sound very nice to me, on the other hand I am currently trying some silver plated lead in my phono amp that although very clear sounding, definitely has a bit of an "edge" at the top end. This has replaced some copper lead that was rather dull and lifeless but I also have some copper stuff that sounds fairly open. I plan to make up several sets of rca leads as that will be far easier to compare than to keep opening the amp up.

Phil.

Last edited by Phil Y; 21st August 2018 at 09:53 AM.
Old 21st August 2018, 05:13 PM

Unfortunately the stuff I got from eBay is really too thin and rather stiff, so not easy to use. I meant too thick on the Van Damme stuff. I知 wiring an intergrated with multiple inputs and there is no relay controlled input selector, therefore I have multiple lengths to run inside the chassis. What I would like is some good quality silver plated that stuff that is the same thickness as the grey bootlace like stuff the kits originally came with.