World-Designs-Forum  

Go Back   World-Designs-Forum > World Designs > WD Amplifiers
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Gallery Today's Posts Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

WD Amplifiers For discusson of World Designs Amplifiers

Old 18th August 2018, 11:10 AM

Default Where to buy valves

I want to buy a spare set of (matched) valves for a Kel84 I have just bought.

I want:

2 x Mullard E80CF

4 X Matched Russian 6P14P

There are lots on ebay but can anybody recommend a reliable reseller ?

Mel
Old 18th August 2018, 11:19 AM
Super Moderator

Default Re: Where to buy valves

Hello Mel,
Don't waste money on buying matched ECF80/E80CF/6BL* or their CV equivalent CV5215 they are so variable - see my comments and FAQ.
I suggest Hotrox in Nottingham for EL84/6BQ5/6P14P. They match for free and service is very good usually 2 days. I use them on a regular basis.

John
Old 18th August 2018, 11:46 AM

I did look on their site John, but could not find the valves I want.

I am just trying to look for similar valves to those fitted (as it sounds nice) but have no problem trying a different set if you can recommend anything particular for this amp.

By the way the work you did on my phono last year has proved excellent - it can sit right next to its psu and is completely silent - very pleased with the result.

Mel
Old 18th August 2018, 05:21 PM
Super Moderator

Hi Mel,
I see you r point they do not do 6P14P and I am not sure who you would be able to get a matched set/pairs of those from as I don't know of anyone who imports the Russian variety.
You may have to take pot luck from the various auction sites or buy a set of EL84s from Hotrox or elsewhere.
I suppose it depends how much you like the sound of 6P14P.

John

Last edited by John Caswell; 18th August 2018 at 05:21 PM. Reason: Typo
Old 19th August 2018, 12:19 AM

I would recommend a look at Jac Music http://www.jacmusic.com although their website seems to be broken at the moment. Affordable prices and still an EU advantage. Persevere, because once their website is sorted, it might well be a good option. In the past I have bought 2A3 from them at better price than Hotrox. They are great on back up/service. Once I bought a quad of EH GG 300B from them, didnít try them for over a year and then when I did, one valve failed. Although out of warranty, they replaced without question. A very good company.
Old 19th August 2018, 09:08 AM
Admin

Just to mention that we're happy to supply valves for all current models - our EL84s are Golden Dragon and ECF80s are AEL. Here:http://www.world-designs.co.uk/valves.htm No Russian 6P14Ps, though.

Cheers

Matthew
Old 19th August 2018, 09:47 PM

Thanks Mathew - I will be buying some EL84ís from you this week, just so I can hear something different.

I have also sourced the Russian ones I want via ebay so hope they are as described but ebay seems to favour buyers over sellers so hopefully risks are minimised.

Mel
Old 20th August 2018, 12:23 PM

Someone else on here may be able to give a definitive answer but I was led to believe that much of the rebranded Russian EL84 (Svetlana, Electroharmonix etc) were the 6P14 type which as far as I can ascertain are/were made in the Saratov plant in Russia. Certainly the Edicron branded EL84 I had were rebranded 6P14PEV (look like 6pi14piEB in Cyrillic) which are supposed to be the ruggedized version and on paper tougher than a standard EL84. a Couple went off just as quickly as any other valve in my EL84 kit so personally I don't think theres any real advantage in sniffing around for these valves, they seem to have got a "cult" following and that has pushed the prices up.
The Golden dragons that Matthew sells, if they are still the Chinese Shuguang made jobs are pretty good valves and I'm using them still many years later in my Leak Stereo20 which was in regular daily use for years with them in. The perceived issues with Chinese valves don't seem to be as prevalent as they were 20 years ago which I assume is better quality control/testing by the resellers.
Again the JJ that WD used to supply are very good and reasonably priced valves.
As to ECF80, the ones I had most trouble with were NOS Mullards, they were noisy. I replaced them in a KEL84 with some nondescript ECF80 that a friend gave me from a stash he inherited from a retired PYE engineer and they work fine and dandy in the WD amp and in my Leak troughlines.
I know its probably controversial in a hi fi forum but I think there's a massive amount of hype over certain brands of valves and in well designed audio kit there shouldn't be much, if any, difference between different brands of the same type.

Andy.
Old 20th August 2018, 02:06 PM

Andy,

I think I broadly agree with you, I've had good and bad in both new production and NOS.
Although I have found that generally, famous name NOS do sound nice, I think the differences are much smaller than legend/fashion dictates. It is more a case of finding valves that suit your taste rather than X stamps all over Y for sound.
If I was starting from scratch with an amp, rather than buy expensive NOS valves, I would buy new production and spend the difference, (or probably less than the difference) on some nice coupling caps and resistors. This in my view would give much better sound per pound.

Regards, Phil.
Old 27th August 2018, 02:34 PM

I decided to buy a full set of Golden Dragon and AEL valves from Matthew and after listening to them for many hours over the last 3 days i can honestly say i hear no significant difference to the Reflector / Mullard valves that came with the amp.

Both sets sound excellent listening to 24/192 high res ALAC files so i am very happy and now have the spare set i wanted.

Mel