World-Designs-Forum  

Go Back   World-Designs-Forum > For Sale/Wanted > Wanted
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Gallery Today's Posts Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Wanted Add your requests for items or components

Old 5th November 2018, 09:54 AM

Default KEL84 Mains Transformer (or similar).

I wonder if anyone has a spare mains transformer for a KEL84 or something similar gathering dust?
I have an American 110 volt, push pull, 6V6 stereo amplifier that I would like to convert to 240 mains, rather than use an external step down transformer.

Just needs 250 to 280 volts ac at 140mA and 6.3 volts ac at 4A. Or combinations of the same.

Thanks, Alan
Old 5th November 2018, 05:14 PM

Default Re: KEL84 Mains Transformer (or similar).

I think you will find Matthew can supply, but they may not have dust on them . Bob
Old 5th November 2018, 11:10 PM

Failing that VVT transformers will almost certainly have something to fit physically and electrically.
And don't dismiss philip at Bluebell Audio who does a good range of the hammond gear.
By all means use a WD transformer, you may however find it will deliver rather too high a HT voltage for the 6V6 unless your amp is valve rectified. In which case you'll also need a heater transformer for the rectifier as the WD gear s silicon rectified.

daft question, I'm sure you have already checked but does your present transformer have 2 primary windings so that it can be wired parallel for US mains or in series for UK mains?

A.
Old 6th November 2018, 08:37 AM

Thanks guys,
This is the amplifier a Magnavox 88-02.
It is a 'low cost' project so I do not want to spend much on it. It is fun rather than high quality. All I have had to do so far is change the 4 coupling caps (with used ones).

No dual primary just one 117 volt winding. The rectifier is a EZ81 and runs off the 6.3 volt heater winding with all the other valves. The tiny transform gets pretty warm now, and it even had to power a radio in its previous life! Failure is common I read...

A popular mod for this amp is to replace the two 6UE7s (floating paraphase splitter) with ECF80s in a concertina splitter. Exactly as the KEL84.
I have plenty of bits to do this in the spares box, but I would like to fit a UK transformer. My only 'want', other than being up to the job, is that is a drop through like the original. If it only has a single HT winding or centre tapped does not matter. I can configure the rectification depending on what comes up. It has 300 volts DC off the EZ81 at the moment, but another 20 - 30 volts would be fine.

So used and a little dust is essential!