World-Designs-Forum  

Go Back   World-Designs-Forum > World Designs > General
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Gallery Today's Posts Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

General For anything else WD or hifi

Old 14th July 2016, 06:31 PM

Default Acoustic Research Turntable EB101

A couple of years or so ago I assumed that this TT, which I've had from new, was very low in the pecking order and sought advice on the forum on whether or not to replace it. Several people said that it was, in fact, quite respectable and recommended changing the cartridge. The cartridge I put in at that time is an Ortofon 2M Blue. Recently I splashed out on the WD Phono 3 to replace something totally inadequate and was rewarded by a totally new level of listening experience. Given that everything is working well, nevertheless there are two things I would like some advice on.

The first is that I've read more than once that the arm (which has the AR logo on top) is relatively poor compared with the rest of the machine. Is there a better arm that could easily replace it at reasonable cost and would work well with the existing cartridge?

The second is that the underside of the platter, when playing the new, heavier discs, must be very near the baseboard. Occasionally, I hear some grating as I raise the lever to lift the arm, presumably because the platter tilts slightly as I do so. Are stronger suspension springs available, or can the existing springs be adjusted to give better clearance?

Edwin
Old 14th July 2016, 07:44 PM

Default Re: Acoustic Research Turntable EB101

I just had a look at some Google images as it's probably 30 years since I looked inside an EB101. Replacing the arm looks tricky but not impossible. Since the armboard is very small the new arm would have to be mounted at the same distance from the spindle as the original, so you're limited to an arm that shares the same geometry. I'd scout the net to see who's managed to do the job successfully. Adjusting the suspension on the other hand looks to be a doddle. Whip the bottom off and screw each of the wing nuts up by two complete turns. This will lift the sub chassis enough to stop the platter touching but providing you turn all three nuts the same amount you won't change the setup.
Old 14th July 2016, 07:58 PM
Super Moderator

HI Edwin
Is the EB101 you have the British version as I have and used for some years see image
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 000_0008.jpg (107.5 KB, 17 views)
File Type: jpg 100_1884.jpg (180.8 KB, 13 views)

Turntable Rega 3 custom RB250 with ortofon 2M Blue /other goldring 1042 /WD phono2 /WD CF pre custom converted /WD psu2 /home built JE Labs Single Ended 6SL7/KT66/Speakers Frugal horns Mk1s
Other turntables AR EB101/Thorns TD150mk2/Thorns TD160mk2

If you have trouble reading my posts its because I am a dyslexic member
Old 14th July 2016, 08:03 PM

Hello Colin!

Yes, it's exactly like the one in your picture. I didn't know there was a "British" version as such, though I've seen some models on American websites and on eBay that have a natural wood plinth.

Edwin

Thanks also to Shane.

Last edited by Edwin; 14th July 2016 at 08:10 PM. Reason: Incomplete
Old 14th July 2016, 08:32 PM
Super Moderator

Yes, the British version is a cut down, which does not have the arm board, but has the Linn fitting for the Linn basic I believe if you can get it
Note that the Red suspension spring is stiffer too the other two to support the arm

Edwin if you want to upgrade I would go for a used Rega 3 off ebay much better with the MM 2 Blue and easy to upgrade tooi have one

Turntable Rega 3 custom RB250 with ortofon 2M Blue /other goldring 1042 /WD phono2 /WD CF pre custom converted /WD psu2 /home built JE Labs Single Ended 6SL7/KT66/Speakers Frugal horns Mk1s
Other turntables AR EB101/Thorns TD150mk2/Thorns TD160mk2

If you have trouble reading my posts its because I am a dyslexic member
Old 14th July 2016, 11:10 PM

Thanks Colin. I'll have a look round and check out the Riga 3.
Old 15th July 2016, 10:46 AM

Hi all, yes I too would agree about the Rega III, or even the 250, but just for your interest Edwin, if you can get a demo of a good Linn LP12 do so, they are now very expensive, even used, but I find them wonderful, as do thousands of others. BOB
Old 15th July 2016, 11:13 AM

Just to put another view.

There are also many people devoted to idler drive and direct drive turntables.

Everything in this post is my honest opinion based on what i thought I knew at that very moment in time.
Old 15th July 2016, 02:53 PM

Hi Philip, I agree with you on the DD, but as for idler drive, you know my thoughts on those. BOB
Old 15th July 2016, 04:06 PM

Colin, I was confused by the number of models of the Rega 3 (now P3?) produced at various dates. Did you have a particular year/model in mind?

I looked at the Linn website and other sources, Bob, and the prices rule out the LP12 for me, considering that I'm looking for a small benefit. (The law of diminishing returns.) However, I see that on their cheapest model, they use an arm produced by, or in partnership with, Pro-Ject. That suggests that Linn, with its reputation to protect, must rate highly at least some of the gear put out by Pro-Ject. Which raises the question how the rest of the Pro-Ject equipment measures up; it seems to get excellent reviews.