World-Designs-Forum  

Go Back   World-Designs-Forum > For Sale/Wanted > Wanted
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Gallery Today's Posts Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Wanted Add your requests for items or components

Old 21st September 2019, 12:05 AM

Default Wanted - Phono Pre

Hello everybody...

Recently I have "reverted" to Vinyl and now building system around turntable...

Need good Phono Preamplifier ... Ideally - I am looking for WD Phono3s or Phono3 ...might even consider Phono2 if somebody has it for a sale...

Been searching on ebay, but had no luck so far... I Would greatly appreciate if anybody has one for sale or is considering getting rid of his to get in touch.

Looking forward hearing from you guys!
Old 21st September 2019, 05:27 PM

Default Re: Wanted - Phono Pre

Why not buy new from Matthew, they are very simple to assemble also the satisfaction of doing it yourself. Bob
Old 21st September 2019, 08:04 PM

Hi Bob, thank you for quick reply ... well three main reasons...

One) ...my electronics skills are "bit" rusty ... I haven't tinkered with electronics since my early teens and now I am in my 50's ... so it has been a while! Last thing I need is to spend few hundred pounds for something that I can't make work!

Two) Time! - struggling to find any free time and already have "few" projects on the go (Non-Electronics ones) ...My concern is that if I do buy it from new in kit form, it might be put aside as number of project I have already started (..or planing to start "soon") waiting for when I "get time" to do it.

Three) ...was actually hoping to save some money buying second-hand rather than new one!

...I think I could find few more reasons... but those three are my main concern...
Old 24th September 2019, 12:48 AM

Tube luver,

To be honest most of the s/h stuff on fleebay recently is not much cheaper than a new kit. By the time you give it a check over and probably new valves and/or caps (probably both). Also you get one that you know works right off.
You’ll be at more risk of spending money on a dud s/h than the new kit.
It’s not too difficult to assemble and NOTHING like those old electronic mags who printed project full of errors that never worked. The build notes are good and simple to follow. Just follow the resist values and the polarity of caps and diodes, it’s all explained in the notes. Then all you’ll need is an iron, solder, and a simple multimeter. Nothing exotic just a simple low end model to check the voltages and resistor values.

Martin
Old 26th September 2019, 11:55 AM

I have a Pre 2 set that I only used for around 2 years. Greg made a cathode follower kit which I didn't fit. It has plenty of AN tant resistors and upgraded caps and a Seiden switch.PM me if interested.
Old 8th October 2019, 11:19 PM

Thank you Martin for your reply and your advice, I get your point ... maybe I should reconsider self-build option...
Old 9th October 2019, 09:34 AM

Yes, go for it, the Phono III is quite a simple build, instructions are good and lots of help on here, don't worry too much about setting the two adjustable capacitors, because you will hear no difference, but if you wish this to be done, many of us have the necessary equipment and will do the adjustment for nowt, well, I will. Bob
Old 17th October 2019, 09:31 PM

Go for it youíll not regret it and already said by Bob lots of help on here too. I can vouch for that as Iíve had lots of invaluable help and advice from the forum in the past
Good luck keep us posted on your progress
All the best
Martin