World-Designs-Forum  

Go Back   World-Designs-Forum > World Designs > General
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Gallery Today's Posts Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

General For anything else WD or hifi

Old 13th March 2007, 06:12 PM

Location: Sunny Billericay! But may currently be time traveling!
Default Re: Is this for real...or a scam?

HSBC recently charged me £100 for going around £30 overdrawn!

I was annoyed and when I saw the TV programme it got me thinking....

But I don't want to upset them as before they have been good to me with preferential rate loans without asking any snotty questions that other lenders ask. So maybe I'll waver it this time...dunno....don't want to fall out with a good Bank Manager.....What do you guys think? Maybe they'll think twice in future about cheap loans etc?

I'm sure in the past they've given me an "in the pink" overdraft facility that just charges an interest charge if I go a few quid over (not a hefty fine) but they keep changing the terms and conditions on my account..... I think this is another dept, not what the Manager I deal with agrees....some back office erk trying to make money for the bank I guess!

PS: Global Warming is a con trick to make more tax for already rich governments and stop third world development....don't believe it! There are genuine green issues like stopping marine mammals being killed or de-forestation etc. Carbon taxes are being developed in a cynical/political attempt to control fossil fuel usage. Volcano's put out more CO2 in a day than we put out in a year! There is no CO2 based global warming!

Electricity is only green if there are no toxic or radioactive emmisions from power stations. CO2 is part of the life cycle....just plant more trees to mop it up if you are worried.

Rich.

Last edited by Hardy; 13th March 2007 at 06:26 PM. Reason: Carbon taxes are a scam!
Old 13th March 2007, 07:14 PM

Don't worry, if you fit the criteria, they will lend you the money. They couldn't give a stuff who you are, they want your money. I have now been working in financial services for two years, and it's been an eye-opener. The big banks are as greedy and as unscrupulous as the law permits them to be. They will lend you money with one hand and bankrupt you with the other without batting an eyelid.

Some of the small building societies still have scruples, but these disappear as soon as de-mutualisation makes millionaires out of their directors and shareholders, while the punters have their rights removed in return for a quick pay-off.

As far as your charges are concerned, these will be levied automatically by a computer. I doubt if your branch manager will even be aware of it. If you have a good relationship with him, he will value your custom. Don't forget, he is there to serve you. You're paying the piper, you should call the tune!

If you're worried about them closing your current account, open a new one, it's not hard to do. After all, if they do close you down, do you really want to do business with them any more? I've just opened a new one with the Co-op in case the Halifax get vindictive. I'll keep you posted.
Old 14th March 2007, 10:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardy View Post
HSBC recently charged me £100 for going around £30 overdrawn!

I was annoyed and when I saw the TV programme it got me thinking....

But I don't want to upset them as before they have been good to me with preferential rate loans without asking any snotty questions that other lenders ask. So maybe I'll waver it this time...dunno....don't want to fall out with a good Bank Manager.....What do you guys think? Maybe they'll think twice in future about cheap loans etc?
Rich.
Just phone them up or go into your branch and ask them to remove the this UNFAIR charge. Point out you have been a loyal customer for X amount of years etc etc. If this does not work, close the account and take your business elsewhere. All banks can offer "prefarential" rates. These are negotiable upon request. If you ask for a loan and they offer you a rate is too high, just politely decline their offer and suggest that a competitor will give you a much better rate. You should find that they will play ball in an effort to keep your money making profit for them.....

ONE LOVE
Old 26th May 2007, 08:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shane View Post
A week ago, I decided that the Halifax had had too much of my money for themselves, and so decided to start proceedings to recover six years' worth of charges.

Step one was to download the template letter from http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/ and send it off with a cheque for £10 demanding records of all charges for the period. Two days later, I received my cheque back, and a letter saying that the Halifax are such nice people, they will happily send me six years of bank statements free of charge.

This morning the postman struggled up the path with 113 letters. They are not going to make it easy....
I win! Had a letter from the Halifax this morning, a week before the case was due to come to court, offering to settle my claim of £2537.12 in full, including interest on all charges at 8% and court costs.
This was after the recent judgement against a claimant so, if you've got a claim going through don't give up, and if you're thinking of claiming, go for it!

If anyone wants more details, drop me a PM.

Is the WD catalogue back up yet?...
Old 26th May 2007, 05:07 PM

Hi Shane,
2 years in FS, you could have said an awful lot more. I realised after a few weeks that this business is full of crooks - Joe Punter has'nt got a clue.

Not just banks, you could talk about insurance cos. and their awful products.

To return to banks - come and live on the European mainland, then you'll really know how legalised robbers work.

Item - no one tells you that when you fill out bank details this gives electricity/gas/insurance (household/car whatever) the automatic right to go on taking money from your account. There is no such thing as DDMs or standing orders.

Money is taken from your account BEFORE they mail you with the amount taken.

Credit cards - so you want to raise your limit, yes you can BUT only if you take out savings products (complete crap) with that bank.

Insurance - all types: every product has to be taken out for 1 year. If you want to cancel - you can't - even if you die, no rebate to your estate.

This is what the lying lawyer (you all know who I mean) should have spent his energy on - to force through financial services liberalisation.

I miss British banking and anyone living on the mainland will tell you the same.

Financial investment products are a joke. Did you hear the one about all those stupid Spanish who were encouraged to buy stamps as ' a secure form of profitable investment' - 6 billion Euros have gone walkies. When the police raided the very expensive (but crap built, they are all crap in Spain) home of one of the directors of this stamp investment company, they found he had been doing a bit of DIY rendering (what a smuck). When they removed the still wet plaster, they found a stash of money, about E10M, of course in 500 Euro notes behind.

I have to say in defence of Europeans in general - I hav'nt met many dummies who think that democracy has ever really seen the light of day, anywhere in Europe, ever.

The robber barons never went away they just changed the chainmail for a business suit.
Old 26th May 2007, 06:30 PM

Seconded Stuart, esp. the one about DDebits etc.

I had my card details stolen electronically. I realised it within minutes as I have internet banking and mobile internet service, and got wind of it luckily. A test amount was taken out of my bank account by an unknown "company". I was walking past my branch at the time and I went straight to the counter and explained the problem. I asked that my account be closed and all monies paid in cash. I was informed that even though my account was closed and the money removed, I will still be liable for the debit amounts that were now starting to appear on my "closed" account. The manager then phoned his fraud squad dept, who again said that I would be responsible for these amounts. I explained to them that as I had closed the account and the card was cancelled and shredded by the branch manager, I could not possibly be using it, esp. as the transactions were still happening as I spoke to them on the phone. They insisted that anyone who had my card/account details could force payment of whatever amount they chose, and that if the bank did not pay, the person presenting for payment could force the bank to pay up. So I would then still be liable for any and all payments.......

I told them to "Bite me" and walked out of the bank.....

P.S. well done Shane, and a "keep going" to everyone else who has been ripped off by their bank......

ONE LOVE