World-Designs-Forum  

Go Back   World-Designs-Forum > World Designs > General
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Gallery Today's Posts Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

General For anything else WD or hifi

Old 27th June 2007, 08:53 PM

Default Re: Silver wire - why bother?

So - is silver wire always the same.
The wire being sold at Wires & co is for jewelry and is described as soft. Is it likely to be the same as that being sold on audio sites for a lot more money per metre? It would save a lot of money if it is.
Old 27th June 2007, 09:16 PM

Frankly, it's probably better quality, or perhaps I should say, probably more consistant. They jewlery industry is somewhat rigourous when it comes to material quality. The Round Silver Wire is probably the best bet.
Old 27th June 2007, 09:18 PM

It's probably the same.
I think in this case, soft means easy to manipulate. They also sell hard wire which is springy and difficult to work with.
You can also buy gold plated silver wire from them at tempting prices. £5 for 4 metres = cheap interconnects.
Old 27th June 2007, 11:04 PM

As said previously, I've not used pure silver wire before but I have used Wires Co. for PTFE insulated silver plated copper and been very satisfied both with customer service (quick supplier) and product quality. The 0.7mm solid core is identical to stuff WAD used to supply with kits and it is a nice price. Their silver wire is, I think, claimed to be 99.9% pure. The so called audiophile suppliers claim 99.999% pure or there abouts. How much difference would you expect this purer wire to make to your sound? If it makes any difference surely it is inaudable? The audiophile purity product is infact not specifically audiophile but rather comes from the scientific and medical wires suppliers. A google search will throw up suppliers from America. High prices, but if you are constructing a silver conductor for, say a Pace Maker to ensure regular and sufficiently frequent heart beats, not to mention that it is being implanted inside the body, purity most certainly may be an issue. I believe audio companies have jumped on this and milk it in their own way for marketing purposes. IMHO, if you really want silver, what you can get from Wires Co will be more than adequate.

On fuses, this is a little different. I don't know about silver wire with gold or rhodium plated end caps but I do know that an amplifiers fuse value can distinctly impact on the quality of sound. Several years ago some of us experimented with this and certainly in KiT/KaT88 we found that there was a more revealing and authoritive sound from an amp fitted with a 5 amp fuse instead of the recommended 1.6 amp jobbie. Now, there is a degree of disagreement amongst the 'Wiseones' here on doing this tweak. The likes of Dr John do not advocate it. Richard however considers, providing you have well trialled your amp with the standard fuse, it is a safe thing to do. If they join in they may well give their different takes on this and you will then need to decide for yourself if you want to try it or not. My original KaT88 has now been running faultlessly in my sons system with a 5 amp fuse with no problems for several years. Interestingly, I've not since tried this with my other amps since and maybe I should. Surfice to say, the value of the fuse will likely have an audible effect the quality of sound (IMHO&E)

Ian, loved your post above. Great humour putting all into proper perspective. Frustrating though. Can't find a willing participant for a shave to improve my sound
Old 27th June 2007, 11:19 PM

Probably a stupidly obvious comment this, but somebody ought to make it -
I presume Greg is referring to HT fuses in his post above. Please don't increase plug-top or other mains fuses, to anything other than specified - their purpose is to reduce the risk of fire, in the event of a fault condition. I'd eat my hat, if it made any real difference to your sound anyway and t'aint worth burning your house down for.

Don't bother disagreeing with me about that last point, I don't own any hats anyway
Old 28th June 2007, 12:52 AM

Erm....well I use 15amp gold plated round pin plugs with no fuse's, and 6 amp silver fuses (silver caps and silver filament) in the equipment. But it's only powered up when someone is using it.
I'd be a bit worried about leaving it switched on and unattended in this 'state', but so far, not a problem.

Cheers,
Mike.

P.S. And I do have a hat!

ari mizu-no tsuki

Though it be be broken -
broken again - still it's there:
the moon on the water.

- Choshu.
Old 2nd July 2007, 01:42 PM

Hi-what about silver plating the copper tracks on a PCB ?

Philip

Everything in this post is my honest opinion based on what i thought I knew at that very moment in time.
Old 2nd July 2007, 03:49 PM

Audio Innovations did that with their Silver Edition S1000 monoblocks some time ago.

Rgds