World-Designs-Forum  

Go Back   World-Designs-Forum > World Designs > General
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Gallery Today's Posts Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

General For anything else WD or hifi

Old 4th August 2007, 05:40 PM

Location: Sunny Billericay! But may currently be time traveling!
Default Re: HiFi World mag

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardy View Post
Only in the Simpsons movie..............
Apparently it's a chip.......doh!

Well fish and chips....:p

Rich.
Old 4th August 2007, 05:41 PM

Location: Sunny Billericay! But may currently be time traveling!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard View Post
...could be.... they're made from Pollocks now.....
Jackson Pollock....?!?!?!?!

Could be quite valuable then...?!?!
Old 4th August 2007, 08:17 PM

Hi Mike,

Sorry, I've probably been a little over the top about a trivial matter. Certainly there is no harm in a bit of fun about Russian Mig fighter trawlers

Originally I read Philip's post and laughed because these kind of errors have been published in HFW on previous occasions. (If you really want to see something a bit misleading or poor practice in the latest mag, look at the picture of a Rega RB250 having it's counterweight stub removed with a pair of mole grips and no relief applied to the pivot bearing ) It was only by reading the article that I learnt that 6C33C's were used for transmitting in Trawlers as well as Mig jets. I previously only knew about the jets.

The reason I got a bit serious was because it is so easy on a forum to accept what another writes as fact when often the writer is coming from a position of ignorance, possibly repeating hearsay read or heard elsewhere. They contribute in an authorative manner when infact they don't actually have the hands on experience to justify the claims being made. This can be very misleading and certainly I have in the past been sucked in this way leading to wasted time and money spent. Equally, I've also probably been guilty of the same crime so I now try to make a point of not posting in such a manner unless I really am coming from that important position of personal experience.

So to answer your questions, you did post humourously in response to Philip's original who has subsequently acknowledged he had not read the full article. Your response is understandable but is inclined to build on the misrepresentation that went before. Not your fault but the outcome is the internet version of 'send reinforcements, we're going to advance/send three and fourpence, we're going to a dance.
You specifically did not mislead. In this particular instant an earlier post implicated that a HFW writer did not have his facts correct.
Inappropriate wrong contribution is the consequence of what I've written above. An initial inappropriate post can, like a snowball rolling down a hill gather many more responses which can result in a total misrepresentation of the original issue and consequently lead others astray.

Sorry got serious again, but this issue is something I have a bit of a thing about with forum posting generally and I suppose it's down to the individual reader to sort the Wheat from the Chaff and discern what is quality information on a topic/hobby based forum such as this.

Mike and Philip. My response to you indicates the weaknesses of this medium as my post suggests I'm having a go at you both specifically. That was my error although Philip accepts the effect of his original post. My real point is encapsulated above and does not refer to either of you specifically. If I gave that impression, I'm sorry. It was not intended.

Best wishes,

Greg
Old 4th August 2007, 09:07 PM

Hi Greg,

Thank you for your considered and extremely well written response! <raises hat>

I have taken on board (arrrgh, sorry, corporate speak!) your comments and in future will endeavor to make it more clear when my )admittedly, sometimes strange) sense of humor is at work.
I admit it can be difficult to tell when one is 'just trying to be funny' when communicating in the written format (perhaps a 'tongue in cheek' smiley could be useful) and at times can be inappropriate. Especially when the people involved have not met in person.

Cheers,
Mike.

ari mizu-no tsuki

Though it be be broken -
broken again - still it's there:
the moon on the water.

- Choshu.
Old 5th August 2007, 08:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shian7 View Post

I have taken on board