World-Designs-Forum  

Go Back   World-Designs-Forum > World Designs > General
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Gallery Today's Posts Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

General For anything else WD or hifi

Old 9th April 2006, 08:12 PM

Send a message via MSN to Martin213
Default Re: Attention All: Phono Shoot-Out

All who attended,thank you very much,it was great to meet you all
I don't feel as much an 'anorak' now
All who missed it,i sympathise
I hope you all arrive home safely,i am thinking of you all,some people travelled so far to attend this event
Kindest Regards
Martin (Sam,and Clare)
Old 9th April 2006, 08:46 PM

it was a very good day.. good food, very good company.... and a day that i didn't want to end...

the speakers and amps showed up the how good push pull and se amps can be..

those are very good speakers at the price
and they showed up the differences in phono's very well..
Gregs 401 sounded great to me.... but it had a better cartrige ( read expensive) so was it the deck or the ortofon... or both.

i have a 401 in the loft... may have to get it out !

And of course i like the gold knobs.. but the others where very good too,
and Nicks was the deservered winner..

thanks again Martin, and your good wife, and your mother in law (afternoon cake).... your a lucky man...

cheers steve
Old 9th April 2006, 08:54 PM

OOPS! The cistern has gone!
Is there a plumber in the house?

Sam and Martin...thanks for all the hard work in making a fantastic weekend.
Regards
Old 10th April 2006, 10:54 PM

I didn't know what to expect, having never met any of the BBers. I came away having learnt a lot, having a much clearer picture of where I want to go with my system, and thinking 'what a nice bunch'. Thanks to Martin and Sam for all the effort making it such a successful event.

Disappointed I didn't hear Gerry's DD on the IKEA table.

Adrian
Old 10th April 2006, 11:07 PM

Adrian

If you hadn't left I'm not sure any of us would have!!!
What a difference it made.....Nick said that he was very dissapointed when you left b/c your 401 went with you (must admit it sounded fantastic...don't change the plinth!)...but wasn't going to say anything...until the DD went on the Ikea table...then he felt he could!

Good to meet you.

Regards
Old 10th April 2006, 11:18 PM

Gerry

your comments about Nick's reticence in order to spare your feelings confirm my point about 'what a nice bunch'. Looking forward to Eggfest.

Good to meet you too

Adrian
Old 11th April 2006, 02:00 AM

I'd like to echo the thanks to Martin & Sam for all their work in organising the event. It was a really good day, and went off very smoothly.
Old 11th April 2006, 02:01 AM

Gerry, I had to leave at 5 o'clock on day one - what's the story with the DD on the IKEA table?
Max
Old 11th April 2006, 08:12 AM

I don't know how much attention people were paying when we were trying to set the system up, but I have never, yet, managed to put a system together in a room and get good results first time. This setup was typical of the breed.

To start with the position in the room was difficult - a glass wall at one side of one speaker (glass is a neutral reflector but large panes do have a low to mid frequency resonance) and a radiator next to the other, not to mention the door in between. (Note the rubber mat which 'filled' the cavity).

Having got the speakers in a reasonable position it was time to turn to the source equipment. I felt more comfortable when we had Greg's 300B PP on the table, together with his matching speaker cables, partly because this was a 'known' amplifier (we had used it at Bristol), and also because it had the dynamic range necessary to fill the room comfortably.

Initially we had the Technics SP10, on its Target table and with BBC power supply, with Funk mat and heavy puck playing the Denon 103 through a Denon MC transformer. I wasn't happy with the lack of rhythmic drive, and am suspicious of record clamps generally, so off came the puck and mat to be substituted with an open weave rubbery sort of mat that someone had brought along (apologies that I don't know who that someone is)!

Things still sounded compressed, especially at the frequency extremes, until we plugged in the S&B MC transformers instead of the Denon. Music then started to flow nicely and I felt we were in a position to start assessing the phono stages. Andrew's and Clive's stages were assessed at that point, along with Greg's WAD Phono 2, before Greg brought in his 401 which added the missing link to the groovy rhythmic drive (and a few other things like a more spacious stereo image, better layering and resolution of instruments and transients). Somehow I missed hearing the Phono 2 with the 401 so still don't know how good it is compared to the others (though I loved it at Bristol).

As the day wore on and we moved through the phono amps we were able to find components which really started to show what the WD25Ts could do. I had brought the WD25Ts on the basis that they are incredibly revealing and so would easily show up the differences between phono stages etc.

I wasn't there on the second day but apparently, after Greg took his 401 away, the Technics went back on but this time on the Ikea INGO tables I had brought along (thanks very much to whoever it was that went out of their way to bring them back to me). Someone else might like to pick up the story from here...
Old 14th April 2006, 10:33 AM

For those of us who weren't able to attend, can someone post a summary of the listening results? I realise there will be no agreement on an outright 'best in class' but the consensus top 3 would be very interesting! Or did I miss something?