World-Designs-Forum  

Go Back   World-Designs-Forum > World Designs > General
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Gallery Today's Posts Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

General For anything else WD or hifi

Old 18th August 2006, 01:39 PM

Default Re: Leads

hi there

thanks Scott for the explanation. One of these days this will all make sense
Old 18th August 2006, 02:38 PM
graeme

I just put my QED silver cable back in, but only running the tweeters, the solid core mains runs the bass/mid cone.

Sounds good, gives me the sharp edge back on the treble which i quite like. Its only sharp if its a particuarly attacking note, its not always sharp.
I felt the mains cable lost a bit of the twinkle if that makes sense.

Is there any problems with using two different cables when bi-wiring?
The mains cable and QED cable are also different lengths, is this a problem?
There doesnt seem to be any problems as it sounds good, but i may be missing something as im inexperienced.
Old 18th August 2006, 03:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike G
Hi all,

I've just constructed two 3m lengths of CAT5 twisted twins, out of shear curiosity, after reading this thread! Not easy though, theses are really chunky cables!

I've been using them for about three days now, but can't seem to warm to them. Generally sound wise the top end seems far more open, and has more detail, I'm sure i'm hearing things, musical phrasing, different instruments etc, that I never knew were there before. But the bass seems to have disappeared, - it now seems lighter, and less controlled (not so tight) (strange when I read reviews you understand the terminology used for describing sound, but when it comes to writing it, I find it much harder!! so hope this makes sense!) I'm sure it's fairly music dependent though, as some CD's sound fine. I'm wondering if it's worth using for a while longer, I guess speaker cable need to burn in as much as anything else. One other thought, (excuse my lack of understanding in these matters) but can you not run two different types of wire (my speakers are Bi Wired) I was wondering about using the TT's for the treble, and my existing cable for the bass, or would this cause problems for the amp with the impedance and capacitance of the cables?

For several years now I have used this Hitachi cable:

http://uk.farnell.com/jsp/endecaSear...sp?SKU=3856057

in a Bi-wired configuration. My kit comprises of Marantz CD6000ose, MF X10D, WAD PRE11 (Cath Foll) and KAT6550. I get the feeling my speakers are probably holding my system back a little (Tannoy R2's)

I've also tried the infamous RS Pink wire (although I did use black and red variants!), but still find myself comming back to my Hitachi cable!

Mike.
Hi Nikki,

As posted previously, I thought the CAT5 TT's lost some of the deep controlled bass that I previously had with my Hitachi cable, although it did give me a much better top end, more spacious, and more detail. I had just wondered about Bi wiring with a mix of the two, to get the best of both. The TT's carrying the HF and Hitachi, the LF.

I've just finished them this morning, and they are in use now. I feel a few hours burning in should help, but initial impressions are good.. The top end detail is there, along with th good controlled, tight bass. I'm going to give them a decent test over the weekend, before deciding if they are worth keeping!

It doesn't seem to be a problem for my amp (KAT6550) although as pointed out by Richard, and a few other people, the combined capacitance of two different cables could cause some amp's, problems.

Mike.
Old 18th August 2006, 03:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by graeme
Is there any problems with using two different cables when bi-wiring?

The mains cable and QED cable are also different lengths, is this a problem?

There doesnt seem to be any problems as it sounds good, but i may be missing something as im inexperienced.
Not a problem..... The electrical difference in cables is miniscule in comparison to the difference in drive unit behavior between bass/mid and treble......

Different lenght usually means different resistance, capacitance and inductance. The difference between two cables of say 2m and 3m will be of the order of a few mOhms resistance and a few pico Farads of capacitance. Again considering that the caps and resistors have a 5 or 10% tolerance, then you can see that a few mOhms or picoF is vanishingly small in comparison.
E.G. 10uF cap at 10% could be 11uF, whereas 100pF is 1/10000 th of this.....
E.G. resistor value 10 Ohm at 1% could be 10.1 Ohm. or 10 ohm + / --
100 mOhms.......

If it sounds good then trust your ears, it's your listening pleasure after all.......Sounds like an excuse for an extended listening session to me....

ONE LOVE
Old 18th August 2006, 04:21 PM

Hi Mike

Sorry i never seen your previous post. Good luck with the leads. I will be as interested as everybody else to hear how you get on.
Old 18th August 2006, 04:36 PM
graeme

Quote:
Originally Posted by BOONDI
Not a problem..... The electrical difference in cables is miniscule in comparison to the difference in drive unit behavior between bass/mid and treble......

Different lenght usually means different resistance, capacitance and inductance. The difference between two cables of say 2m and 3m will be of the order of a few mOhms resistance and a few pico Farads of capacitance. Again considering that the caps and resistors have a 5 or 10% tolerance, then you can see that a few mOhms or picoF is vanishingly small in comparison.
E.G. 10uF cap at 10% could be 11uF, whereas 100pF is 1/10000 th of this.....
E.G. resistor value 10 Ohm at 1% could be 10.1 Ohm. or 10 ohm + / --
100 mOhms.......

If it sounds good then trust your ears, it's your listening pleasure after all.......Sounds like an excuse for an extended listening session to me....

Cool, just to make sure ive been annoying the neighbours with sabbath and zeppelin for the last hour or two
It sound better than either one of the cables on there own.
I tried a similar set up a few weeks back using multistrand mains flex for the mid/bass drivers but it didnt really improve, the solid core is better.