World-Designs-Forum  

Go Back   World-Designs-Forum > World Designs > General
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Gallery Today's Posts Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

General For anything else WD or hifi

Old 16th October 2007, 04:21 PM

Default Re: Other hobbies or interests.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard View Post
Nice one Philip! An excuse to post a more leisurely one of me from MotorCycle, been out of it a while, would love to get back now the kids are older. Used to time trial push bikes, mountainbiking at the mo and classic car shows in the summer. Just sold my MGB roadster - all go hissssss... F1 of course on the telly after dinner on Sunday

Hi Phil;
That Greeves is a cracking looking machine, they are a real classic. I had a similar machine which replaced my 350 Matchless but I could not get on with the 2 stroke power delivery so I carried out some mods in an attempt to improve it. I polished inside the crankcases, obtained a Vale Onslow full flywheel set (expensive) then went to a dealer who sold the Villiers engined invalid carriages and got myself a piston barrell and head from one, which I reasoned would be ported for low down torque. All went well but I had to replace the villiers carb with a Amal Monoblock on a long stub to get it to run right. That machine came as close as I got to having the best of both worlds it would pull like train on the mud and naggery bits without the spitting and farting 2 strokes tended to do and the flywheel set helped it to go some on the road as well. I also gained a decompressor with the cylinder head. I later obtained a s/h square barrel piston and head but it made it too lively so I went back to my original mods. I had a lot of fun with that and some success as well.
. Good times but I could not run a family and a competion bike as well so they all had to go,including a Black Shadow that I rebuilt from the ground up, but thats another story.
Regards
John L