World-Designs-Forum  

Go Back   World-Designs-Forum > World Designs > General
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Gallery Today's Posts Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

General For anything else WD or hifi

Old 14th June 2007, 01:00 PM

Default Re: north DIY meet (eggfest5) 9/10 june

Ta for pics Simon - they give a good impression of the meeting. Thanks!
Old 14th June 2007, 01:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickG View Post
I tend to keep things quiet while developing/discovering now as (for example) the last time A mention of a regulated supply was made, I ended up involved in a long thread being asked to justify why I was doing it.
That's beautiful.

What has been the best type of meeting for me has been when the next day or the day after that a few of us like you and me, take the whole thing apart and have a what if session, try it and see what we like or dislike about it, and we don't get into long sprawled out arguiments where we have to justify something we did for ourselves not for anyone else.

Darren and I enjoyed a fantastic sound from the 212 in that way the Monday after a meeting at Mark Jeffs around 6 years ago I suppose. I have entirely failed to recreate that sound.

Nick, you and I have discovered things at these sessions we would be in the dark about to this day.

One thing I know for sure, is that if you only follow the advise you see on the net, or build what would stand up on the net to questioning, you don't stand a chance, and you won't enjoy the process 1/2 as much.
Old 17th June 2007, 10:13 PM

I've looked out the last few photos I took that are worth showing. Apologies to those whose kit I didn't get many photos of, or I haven't done justice to. Especially to Steve, Ant and Al who were there on Saturday when I didn't take any.

First, MickM's 2A3 amp, and Lenco GL 75 record player with Phono II clone

Will's Fostex FF225 (?) in Jericho cab with Visaton supertweeter and Coral transformer attenuator thingy

Steve S's DET25 amp with MP41 drivers? and amorphous tribute opts. Not many of these amps in the world. Good to see you've finally found a good use for the dvd player Steve (joke!)

Four photos is my limit so I'll continue on another post...
Old 17th June 2007, 10:24 PM

Last two.

Another from Steve's collection. No idea what it is but it's old and everyone seemed quite excited

And finally, I've zoomed in to Andrew's gorgeous otl amp. Sorry Andrew, the quality's not great but the amp deserves a photo, shame all my gubbins is in the way.

Finally a special mention of James D's EMU (?) usb soundcard with which James played music from his laptop. I don't have a photo (it's a laptop and a smallish grey box) but for "computer audio" I thought it did a pretty good job. Great to see James again btw.

It was a great weekend chaps, roll on the next one. I'll try to remember to take some more photos next time.

Simon.
Old 17th June 2007, 11:02 PM

Good Photo's Simon..
the one valve in the photo was an arcturus 180 (80?) rectifier. the label on it says it was tested in 1929.. i also had a blue glass 126 with me with the same label and date 'tested in front of customer'. in new york..
quite collectable i'm told

my mk 3 ob's in the earlier photos are what i knocked up the weekend before the meet
they are the lowther ex4 doing tweeter duty supported by goodmans 301 full? rangers and audiom 61 bass duty..
they are very even sounding in a lowther sort of way i'm very impressed so far
i would describe the sound as very fast and detailed.. right down to the bass... very powerfull sounding..
a bit like you think a good pa system sounds.. if you know what i mean.

i have some more mods planned for them and some 'proper' baffles... before they are allowed to be permanent..

I managed to get a second pair of those tribute transformers last week (thanks Mark)...
my plan is to do some valve comparisons over the next few years so i need to have two sets of identical standards of hardware for a/b tests..
they have been connected to my 2P amp (it had hamond 1627)
they have transformed that somewhat..so i'm going in the right direction.. (at last..?) ..
i dont think the det 25 will be about for much longer...
Old 17th June 2007, 11:24 PM

Location: Sunny Billericay! But may currently be time traveling!

Looks like I missed a very interesting Eggfest......

Oh well, maybe I'll get to go to another one sometime......

Rich.
Old 19th June 2007, 05:43 PM
graeme

BUM! totaly forgot about this, not been on here for a bit (moving house etc)

Ill have a read through.
Old 19th June 2007, 10:40 PM

Hi, Simon...
Thanks for the photos...
God!!! My table looks scruffy... The bits of decorative insulating tape had been used to stabilize things for transportation.
First time out. Will do better next time.
Nevertheless I had a great day on Sunday.
The 6sl7's were in single triode driver mode having previously being used as cathode followers and then SRPP.
As I expected the amp was a bit lacking in welly in that big room.
Much as I had tried not to say it, I heard myself muttering weakly ' it sounds much better at home'...
Thanks, chaps...
Must do it again...

MICK.
Old 21st June 2007, 12:09 PM

Have you tried the new transformers yet Steve ?
Thanks for phoning last night btw

Mark