World-Designs-Forum  

Go Back   World-Designs-Forum > World Designs > General
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Gallery Today's Posts Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

General For anything else WD or hifi

Old 21st June 2007, 07:39 PM

Default Re: Silver wire - why bother?

In my humble opinion,how seperate components sound relies more on their compatability with each other than on components,cables and even supports being top notch. If your system is (as often) made up of various manufacturers equipment then it often comes down to pure luck if it happens to sound good when put together. I recently changed my speakers and lo vinyl sounded a tad sharp at times, altho other half tells me her old Louis Armstrong lps sound better. However cd now sounds stunning! .
Old 21st June 2007, 07:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darren D View Post
No offence Ian but who is Joe D'applito and who on earth trained him?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joseph_D'Appolito
Old 21st June 2007, 08:00 PM

just a very successful speaker designer, magazine reviewer, full member of the AES, and good friend, but far from a god, would be amused at the thought,worldwide authority on horn loading, worked at technics, jbl, designed hitachi amplifiers, part of the technics sl1210, and trained/supervised Joe.
indeed sometimes we have totally opposite tastes,

he is fallible alright, as fallible as I am, ie infallible yes, pro designers are indeed fallible, they still blow up amps and speakers like I do, and get caps/bridge rectifiers the wrong way around, only once tho',"I know where the wires go".....i didn't that time!!, then you can't get the magic blue smoke back into the solid copper chassis, they REALLY don't like to admit it tho'

he uses these junk old amplifiers and is terrified they will go pop, as they are a bit of a bstard to repair

its not important really, just in case people value a reviewers opinion of something more than mine

Last edited by Ianm2; 21st June 2007 at 09:04 PM.
Old 21st June 2007, 08:01 PM

Oh I see, he changed the positioning of some speakers on the front baffle.

And?

I changed the tweeter in mine, that sounds good to me as well. But I wouldn't expect someone to name drop someone whom I "taught" this revelation.

Or am I missing something? Probably knowing me..............

In case you miss my point here Ian.

I would rather hear your views on any matter/observation. If you feel the need to be "backed up" by someone you hold to then your words carry little weight. Therefore losing their impact somewhat.
Don't write for someone else, rather write for yourself.
That would be much more interesting I believe.
Old 21st June 2007, 08:06 PM

I wouldn't question joe's status, he makes most other speaker designers pale into insignificance, now he really is immortal, his name will live on long after anthony michaelson has been forgotton, which won't be long at all

he probably has a patent on some certain types of turntable plinths too

like I said, its not really important, what one finds one likes only matters for oneself as I have said all along, most people here being into diy know what matters, in the end, its still taste and opinion. even with design credentials

anyway, back on track, hopefully, Paul is waiting for more and hopefully to him, useful replies....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darren D View Post
If you feel the need to be "backed up" by someone you hold to then your words carry little weight. Therefore losing their impact somewhat.
Don't write for someone else, rather write for yourself.
That would be much more interesting I believe.
not really, the one abiding point is that a person is his own best hifi expert, and what he likes or doesn't, goes, I have maintained that all along, however I feel VERY strongly about hi-priced stuff that doesn't deliver, and promises it does, and, sad as it is, it doesn't seem possible to convince some people that in audio, you don't always get what you pay for, I am simply trying to assist them avoid costly mistakes, and concentrate on what matters most. there's a heck of a lot of bull around, perhaps I shouldn't bother.

oh dear, I hope this isn't going to get into ONE OF THOSE pointless cable debates.

Last edited by Ianm2; 21st June 2007 at 09:02 PM.
Old 21st June 2007, 08:07 PM

I wasn't,

I was questioning yours..I'm much more interested in your views, not Joe's, he's not here is he?
Old 21st June 2007, 08:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ianm2 View Post

he probably has a patent on some certain types of turntable plinths too
I looked into patents, not worth a sausage in todays market.

Here's a current example http://www.recordplayer.com/pages/fraud.html
Old 21st June 2007, 08:30 PM

ahh yes the old hifi industry code of ethics, nick designs off people, and claim them as your own, then take them to court, bankrupt them and they commit suicide

you;d expect better from perhaps degree educated engineers, alas not, the industry is rife with dishonesty and treachery, sometimes the smaller the company, the worse, not always, as a rough rule of thumb, one man bands can be very dubioius if things go wrong.
Old 21st June 2007, 08:35 PM

Trouble is it's now a very Global economy and our patents just don't have the arms for it.

back on the copper thingy. I like copper as a chassis but it's very expensive.
I would like my new build to have 10mm plates, but in copper
Old 21st June 2007, 08:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Mccallum View Post
In my humble opinion,how seperate components sound relies more on their compatability with each other than on components,cables and even supports being top notch.
I used to think exactly the same thing! Then one day I decided to change from copper speaker cable (exposure) to silver plated copper (QED silver anniversary) and the difference was amazing. My system went from sounding merely 'good' to sounding absolutely amazing. As in amazingly BAD! It was so bad that it actually sounded broken, and every visitor who heard it said so. The QED's were on ebay within the week.

That was on my old Linn system, but my current set up is now full of silver plated wire and sounds fine, in fact it seems to thrive on the stuff. A recent change of speaker cable from OFC to silver plated OFC has wrought great improvements, warmer, fuller yet more detailed (if that makes sense?). Admittedly, this stuff costs nearly ten times as much as the QED cable and has different insulation material but its still silver plated copper. Go figure

Cheers,
Mike.

ari mizu-no tsuki

Though it be be broken -
broken again - still it's there:
the moon on the water.

- Choshu.