World-Designs-Forum  

Go Back   World-Designs-Forum > World Designs > General
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Gallery Today's Posts Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

General For anything else WD or hifi

Old 3rd June 2008, 01:01 AM

Default Fuses!

I tried the ahp copper fuse and i was quite shocked at the impact it made to the sound. Overal a nice improvement. The same or more impact as a good powercable or IC, wich are in general much, much more expensive! For only 11 euro's it's a no-brainer!

I am also going to try the furutech rhodium/silver fuse, wich is said to be even better then the ahp.
Old 3rd June 2008, 08:47 AM

Default Re: Fuses!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tourmaline View Post
I tried the ahp copper fuse and i was quite shocked at the impact it made to the sound. Overal a nice improvement. The same or more impact as a good powercable or IC, wich are in general much, much more expensive! For only 11 euro's it's a no-brainer!

I am also going to try the furutech rhodium/silver fuse, wich is said to be even better then the ahp.
don't forget you have a fuse in the mains plug probly, as well as the tx primary, why not take a chance and simply bypass them, as long as your amp is safe, and run the risk of valves/tx's not going short

its a bit dodgy, so bear in mind if you do, kids don't try this so to speak

its also an old school fault finding method to bypass the fuse and see which component fries itself, thus in indiana jones dads quote.." I find if I shit down and think for a while, the sholution revealsh itshelf"

house wiring and house fuses are never mentioned either...wonder why?

Last edited by Ianm2; 3rd June 2008 at 09:01 AM.
Old 3rd June 2008, 08:55 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ianm2 View Post

house wiring and house fuses are never mentioned either...wonder why?
Oh, they are, I've read of mains distribution circuit breakers sounding better than old fuse boxes back in the HFN power supply days I think. We had ours changed a few years back but didn't notice any diference. A couple of weeks back Powergen arrived and changed our electric meter just before my friend called over for a bit of a listening session. We joked that the new meter would need to "run in". Have you seen the new meters btw? Tiny single LCD unit replacing 2 big black boxes.

Rich
Old 3rd June 2008, 09:02 AM

just got a posh new one to get put in, ours is an old bakelite one
Old 3rd June 2008, 09:09 AM
Super Moderator

Re swapping fuses I found a repeatable difference between the standard 1.6A and a 5A used in a power amp a while back in the bass quality. The standard fuse was known to blow after a while and so may have been almost melting during high current draw. It could have been acting as a surge resistor if it was very hot. Trying a 10A gave no more improvement than the 5A.

Around the same time I tried a 3KVA mains isolation transformer before the power amp and it made the sound worse. Given the huge size there was no real reason I could think of but it was (is - I've still got it!) easily repeatable.
Old 3rd June 2008, 09:12 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ianm2 View Post
just got a posh new one to get put in, ours is an old bakelite one
It'll make you feel better!

Last edited by Richard; 3rd June 2008 at 09:22 AM. Reason: (not sure if Ian meant fuse box or meter)
Old 3rd June 2008, 05:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard View Post
It'll make you feel better!
I also have a ahp copper fuse in the mains and that one made also quite a difference.

More people are reporting huge differences (for the good) by changing the fuses for audiophile versions. My system is very transparent and let you hear any change.
Old 4th June 2008, 11:45 AM

Last night i took the plunge on the furutech/padis silver rhodium plated fuses.

I'll keep you guys posted.
Old 4th June 2008, 11:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard View Post
Re swapping fuses I found a repeatable difference between the standard 1.6A and a 5A used in a power amp a while back in the bass quality. The standard fuse was known to blow after a while and so may have been almost melting during high current draw. It could have been acting as a surge resistor if it was very hot. Trying a 10A gave no more improvement than the 5A.

Around the same time I tried a 3KVA mains isolation transformer before the power amp and it made the sound worse. Given the huge size there was no real reason I could think of but it was (is - I've still got it!) easily repeatable.
The ahp fuse had a nice overall improvement of detail, stage, and transparency. It was the same value, so that is not an issue here.
Old 4th June 2008, 06:11 PM

Now is there a way Tourmaline that you could A/B test the fuse against an ordinary one?

Frankly, I'm very SCEPTICAL.

or

send me the fuse so I could try it.

or

don't trust me... I could be anyone about to embark on a plane to Brazil. Let Richard (administer supreme) borrow the fuse so he could check it out.