World-Designs-Forum  

Go Back   World-Designs-Forum > World Designs > General
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Gallery Today's Posts Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

General For anything else WD or hifi

Old 30th July 2008, 02:49 PM

Default Re: what was you first amp

Sugden A21 (with connoisseur deck, AT arm and homemade speakers with Jordan Watts modules). Probably the best system I've ever owned but I got seduced by flashing lights!

Pete
Old 30th July 2008, 03:53 PM

1st - Ferranti valve radiogram rehoused with new garrard multichanger into smaller cabinet.
2nd - Ferrograph 208
3rd - Onix, the 7th made. p.ex.to Linn dealer, and bought back 2 years later, he used it at home.
4th - Linn LK1/Dirak, 280/Spark
5th - WAD 6550
6th - WAD 2ASPSE Monoblocks which have been much modified and are now just SE.
7th - Ferranti radiogram being turned into elc82 PP mono amp. Back where I started.

Regards Richard Higgins
Old 31st July 2008, 08:32 AM

My first serious bit of amplification was a Musical Fidelity A100X but my first ever valve amp was a WAD 300B PP with a WAD KLP1 pre. At this time I also used an Alphason Sonata with an Alphason HR100 SMCS silver wired arm. The phono stage was a Hart shunt regulated jobbie which was a kit type device. All of the amplification was built by WAD themselves.
Original 2008F HDCD Player modified for UK mains: Beresford Caiman: Technics SL1210 MkII/Ortofon OM30 Super/Audioref mat/Aluminium puck: Croft Micro 25 Basic Pre: Croft Series 7 Power: Dali Suite 2.8 Loudspeakers: Van Den Hul D102HB Mk III Interconnects: NVA LS5 Loudspeaker Cables:

Secret Lust: VPI Scout II/Sumiko Blackbird:

Shaunie Boy
Old 31st July 2008, 09:49 AM

My first amplifier was a DIY integrated using ILP power amp and PSU modules and Andy Grove's ic phono stage, built on veroboard.

Next up was an Arcam Delta 60. After a while I started using the Andy Grove phono stage, which was a big improvement over the onboard stage.

I replaced this with a Rogers Cadet III, tried the Andy Grove phono stage, but found I preferred the Rogers one. Modified the power amp for triode zero feedback operation and replaced the pre with a passive pre + phono II / pre II.

When I find the time, I will be replacing this with a DIY integrated incorporating phono/pre II and a triode connected KT66 SE power amp.

Prince
Old 31st July 2008, 11:58 PM

Ahh, I don't have to dig that far into my dark past for this:
Cambridge Audio A300
DIY Power & Pre from ESP Audio (Wifey shorted the speaker leads on and blew this up).
Modified Cambridge Audio A1
Another Modded Cambridge A1 thats been almost finished for 5 years.
6 Channel monster for my active speakers.
3 Yarland EL84 amps (active speakers)
WAD Kel84
WD88.
I also have a Sentec PA8 as a backup (this was given to me as a un-assembled kit that had never been touched)!
ESP Audio power amp re-incarnated as an extra backup in case the Kel84 and Sentec die on me.

I wonder how on earth did I managed to collect so much of this stuff.

I have to say starting off with SS and then moving to valves I know which does it for me regardless of the detractors of valve gear.

Demand REAL POO!
Old 21st August 2008, 10:16 PM

Can't remember the very first but it was a single-ended design which I scratch built - using a very small drill to cut out the circles for the valve bases. I made quite a few amps along similar lines; many of them taken from a probably not-so-current RCA valve book. Later moved up to Williamsons &c.

My first "real" amplifier was a dreadfully expensive Verdik which I imported from London when I was working in New Zealand. The manufacturer's cost, from memory, was about 53GBP but had a swingeing 25% import duty stuck on top by the NZ Customs. This was a terrible price for a Mullard 5/10 clone and for someone earning seven quid a week but it was beautifully made and I still have the pre-amp for occasional LP playing into the 6550.

It is now exactly 50 years old - I doubt if any of today's commercial stuff will last much longer than a fifth of that. And who would want it to?
Old 21st August 2008, 10:50 PM

Hi Baggy-anything like this ??

http://www.eastmarinedrive.com/conte...ik-content.htm

i see one was found in Auckland.

Philip

Everything in this post is my honest opinion based on what i thought I knew at that very moment in time.
Old 22nd August 2008, 06:10 PM

Schaub Lorenz valve radio from parental loft. I used it as a receiver as it had a proper switched aux input into which was plugged my older brothers cast off early 70s Philips cassette recorder. The amp output was connected to another loft item, a smallish corner cabinet my dad had built in about 1960 with a 10" Stentorian speaker in it. It was fantastic having a "HiFi" in my own bedroom.
Old 22nd August 2008, 08:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pre65 View Post
Hi Baggy-anything like this ??

http://www.eastmarinedrive.com/conte...ik-content.htm

i see one was found in Auckland.

Philip
Yes! The very same.

And I was correct with the price but something like that is not easily forgotten. Fortunately, this was pre-stereo; only Paul Getty could afford to buy two of these.

They were lovely little amps - like a small Quad - but mine didn't have those rubber bands on the valves. In those days such things were attached to male sheep causing their testicles to drop off. I imagine that with the decline of sheep farming in the country, the manufacturers have had to find some alternative application for their elastic products. I hope this does not lead to an emasculated audio output.

It's fanciful to think that the one shown was mine but you never know . .

Baggo.
Old 22nd August 2008, 09:19 PM

More correctly, my first "system"...

left channel:

right channel:

Happy days...

How do I make these appear in my posting? if I do the [IMG]...[/IMG] thing, they just disappear.

Last edited by Richard; 23rd August 2008 at 07:12 AM. Reason: fix pics