World-Designs-Forum  

Go Back   World-Designs-Forum > World Designs > General
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Gallery Today's Posts Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

General For anything else WD or hifi

Old 21st February 2009, 12:40 PM

Default Re: Icon Audio Stereo 25

For what it's worth, Icon Audio's gear is very good quality. They are not your "bog standard" Chinese amps. For example, the power supplies are upgraded to operate under UK conditions.

The owner is very knowledgeable and helpful.
Old 21st February 2009, 01:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John T View Post
For what it's worth, Icon Audio's gear is very good quality. They are not your "bog standard" Chinese amps. For example, the power supplies are upgraded to operate under UK conditions.

The owner is very knowledgeable and helpful.
Yeah
I'll second that.

I build all my own stuff now, but it was their Stereo 40 push-pull EL34 amp that first got me into valve amplification.

David Shaw is a very nice guy, extremely helpful and his customer service is outstanding.
Contrary to what some would have you believe, they are not rebadged Chinese amps but are David's own designs that he has assembled in China.
I remember driving to Leicester to pick up the amp, where he put it through its paces on the test bench, then played it through a pair of Icon Audio horn speakers before letting it out of his premises. To say I was gobsmacked by the sound of the Stereo 40 was an understatement.

Steve
Old 21st February 2009, 03:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pre65 View Post
I don't think Shaun would (or should !) touch a Chinese amp again !!!!!!!
Grrrrrrrrr...!!! How dare you suggest Chinese (LOL)
Original 2008F HDCD Player modified for UK mains: Beresford Caiman: Technics SL1210 MkII/Ortofon OM30 Super/Audioref mat/Aluminium puck: Croft Micro 25 Basic Pre: Croft Series 7 Power: Dali Suite 2.8 Loudspeakers: Van Den Hul D102HB Mk III Interconnects: NVA LS5 Loudspeaker Cables:

Secret Lust: VPI Scout II/Sumiko Blackbird:

Shaunie Boy
Old 21st February 2009, 03:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John T View Post
Yes, I've done lots of internet studying of Icon Audio stuff and I concur that it's far from 'run of the mill' Chinese rubbish. I have e-mailed them twice and they have responded very quickly but as Richard on this forum says, the Icon Audio probably won't like my speakers. I guess that counts it out as a purchase. Also, the Nait 5i I am watching finishes tomorrow so any decision has to be made by the end of today. In all probability, the Nait 5i will like my speakers.
Original 2008F HDCD Player modified for UK mains: Beresford Caiman: Technics SL1210 MkII/Ortofon OM30 Super/Audioref mat/Aluminium puck: Croft Micro 25 Basic Pre: Croft Series 7 Power: Dali Suite 2.8 Loudspeakers: Van Den Hul D102HB Mk III Interconnects: NVA LS5 Loudspeaker Cables:

Shaunie Boy
Old 21st February 2009, 04:07 PM

I think the question may be,will you like the Naim? It may drive your speakers,but I can't imagine a bigger change than going from a 300b valve amp to a Naim.
Old 21st February 2009, 04:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ali Tait View Post
I think the question may be,will you like the Naim? It may drive your speakers,but I can't imagine a bigger change than going from a 300b valve amp to a Naim.
I understand exactly where you are coming from but for quite a few months now I have had to become accustomed to a very cheap tranny amp going into a good pair of speakers. I am ready for a very positive change now and I think that within the realms of solid state, the Naim will be a very positive move.

It is very true that I would prefer a valve amplifier but for what I have to spend and what I wish to have, I simply cannot afford to go down the valve route again unless I go Chinese. This is NOT going to happen...! My taste in music also dictates a valve amplifier for around 85% of my listening as I love simple music and female vocals along the lines of Rebecca Pidgeon and 'The Raven' preferably on vinyl but, as I have said, it all comes down to what I have or have not got to spend.

If I had the patience to wait another ten months I could have a WD88XL built for me but alas, patience is a virtue I do not possess.

Shaunie Boy
Old 21st February 2009, 05:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shian7 View Post
<rubs chin> What if a WD88XL was available for a reasonable price?

If i were Shaun i would at least find out what the price was !

You know it would be exactly what you want !

Everything in this post is my honest opinion based on what i thought I knew at that very moment in time.
Old 21st February 2009, 07:07 PM

Pre65, I have pm'd Shian7 but so far I have not had a response. At midnight today (Saturday) I bid on the Naim.

Shaunie Boy
Old 21st February 2009, 08:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haselsh1 View Post
At midnight today (Saturday) I bid on the Naim.
Why? There must be quite a few Naits that go on eBay... Why not just wait for a little longer and see what Shian7 says? You have lived with your trannie amp for a while, can't you wait a little longer?

I have had a Nait and they are.... how can I say... a little rough and ready and very up-front... Not bad, but not exactly good either. Typical Naim sound.. Bright, brash and very two dimensional. Not for me, but YMMV. I think the 88 would be a lot nicer IMHO.

Good luck either way.

Cheers,
Old 21st February 2009, 08:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haselsh1 View Post
Pre65, I have pm'd Shian7 but so far I have not had a response. At midnight today (Saturday) I bid on the Naim.

Shaun-just try and think clearly !

You know what you really want, why buy something like a Nait ?

But, it's your life and you must do what YOU think is right.

My opinion is you will live to regret buying the Naim.

Everything in this post is my honest opinion based on what i thought I knew at that very moment in time.