World-Designs-Forum  

Go Back   World-Designs-Forum > World Designs > General
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Gallery Today's Posts Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

General For anything else WD or hifi

Old 17th October 2008, 03:37 PM
cambshiregordon

Default Scratched vinyl - damaged for ever?

Just purchased an LP (much sort after by me) from the local charity shop; BUT, the opening track appears to be damaged although this is not visible to the naked eye. My stylus is correctly set up / balanced, but it skips some groves. With today's technology, can the sound from a damaged LP's be "recovered" in some way?
I am wondering if there is some magical piece of computer software that would assist, although I appreciate I would have to "recover" as much if not all of the original sound as possible from the LP into the computer before the software could get-to-work.
My thinking is to (gently!) lower the stylus several times onto the damaged part whilst all the time recording into the computer in the hope that I can recover the various sections. Then cut/paste or jog/juggle using something akin to the time lines in video editing programmes to obtain a (near) original copy.
Any thoughts or advice please? (And no, I am not wanting to try to find a reissue on CD!)
Gordon
Old 17th October 2008, 05:05 PM
graeme

Default Re: Scratched vinyl - damaged for ever?

If theres no viaible damage it could be dirt stuck in there. I assume you've cleaned it? Try cleaning it in as many ways as possible.
Old 17th October 2008, 06:03 PM

What is the actual problem and what is the record?

Try and see if you can find the fault by feel, with eyes closed. I often find lumps and bits of grit - naked to the eye - this way and then use my finger nail and rub the problem - not away - but to a much reduced sound level often allowing the stylus to track the record through with just a few clicks.

As suggested clean and clean - I use a modified Okki Nokki and it is amazing what cr*p lurks on records.

I have saved a few LPs this way, after a few plays the noise can often drop off significantly, although a few do sound worse. Can't win em all.

Basil
Old 17th October 2008, 09:53 PM
Super Moderator

Hi,

Yes, make a mental note of where the stylus jumps then examine that part closely with a magnifying glass. The only record I've had jump looked mint also. Turned out to be a small lump of hardened crud (heaven knows what) in the groove. I used a cheapo plastic jewellers x10 eye glass and cocktail stick to carefully nudge it away and all was fine.

Rich
Old 17th October 2008, 10:05 PM

Nah, wire wool 'n' blowtorch 'll do it 4 u m8.

Gordon,

Try getting the record cleaned with any good record cleaning machine with vacuum function (these leave less/no residue thus cleaning properly).

Check cart tracking weight is correct, that your cart is tracking at the correct angle, check arm azimuth isn't to all to cock, check the deck is level (spirit level) in both directions.

Note the many records have been shafted by reckless use and cheapo MM carts. All damage is not visible and conversely some records can look bad yet play fine (although I try to avoid any scratched vinyl).
Old 17th October 2008, 10:25 PM
Super Moderator

Cobblers,

No, mine was after cleaning twice with a vac rec cleaning machine! I expected to see a deep scratch causing the jump. No so though and the small piece of crud was hard as rock. In fact I actually thought it was an impurity in the vinyl (as the record was otherwise mint) and expected it to leave a hole when it was removed, but no problem. It took some shifting but came away leaving the groove in fine order

Rich
Old 17th October 2008, 10:47 PM

Send a message via MSN to Dave the bass

Sometimes just playing them again and again (cleaning the stylus inbetween) cleans out the gunge, nowt follows the groove better than stylus AFAIK.

Certainly worked on a rough sounding copy of 'Solid Air' on Pink Rim that I thought was a goner. Playing it right now as I type, yummy now.

DTB
Old 17th October 2008, 11:00 PM

If you've got nothing to lose i.e. the lp really sounds crap then it is time to give it a serious washing. If you haven't got okki-nokki or disco mat, hot soapy water and a good sponge really is better than nothing; add lots of running water and a dry air drying and thigs do improve... enormously.
Old 18th October 2008, 12:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard View Post
Cobblers,

No, mine was after cleaning twice with a vac rec cleaning machine! I expected to see a deep scratch causing the jump. No so though and the small piece of crud was hard as rock. In fact I actually thought it was an impurity in the vinyl (as the record was otherwise mint) and expected it to leave a hole when it was removed, but no problem. It took some shifting but came away leaving the groove in fine order

Rich
Rich,

For the big pieces of crud I would do something similar, sometimes you can even shift them off with a finger nail with no apparent damage to the playing surface.

however cambshiregordon said he had no visible damage so the large rocks of visible crud are unlikely. Hence my waffling about other possibilities.
Old 18th October 2008, 10:04 AM
Super Moderator

Hi Cobblers,

Yes, I agree you'd expect to see the crud but in my case it wasn't visible to the naked eye and was so small it was only skipping the stylus 1 groove.

Under the x10 and a bright light it was a different story though and appeared as a red spec. I had to sharpen the cocktail stick some more then push it off with a force of perhaps 1/2Kg, certainly I had one hand stopping the record from sliding and no way would a stylus tracking at 1 or 2g have moved it!

On reflection the only thing I can think of is that it was a spec of red nail varnish from many years ago (no - not me - a secondhand purchase!! I've also seen what appear to be mists of hair spray across other records - oh how they suffer!).

Of course, a careful look with a jewellers eyeglass or stamp loupe will reveal crud or deep scratch.

Rich

Tags
damaged, recover, vinyl