World-Designs-Forum  

Go Back   World-Designs-Forum > World Designs > WD Amplifiers
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Gallery Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

WD Amplifiers For discusson of World Designs Amplifiers

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 25th September 2019, 05:23 PM

Default KEL84 from the recycling centre

Hello,

I was fortunate enough today to pick up a KEL84 from the rubbish/recycling centre near my work. It is missing the chrome volume knob, and has no tubes, it appears to only have the wiring done for the CD input, of which the black wire is broken, the wiring is messy, and the soldering is blobby in places, but no components seem wobbly, or joints dry. It was sitting in the bottom of a trolley of hi-fi equipment, yet to be put on the shelf and priced for sale. The tube sockets on top and the sheer weight of the thing suggested some value, so I took it up to the counter to inquire on the price of it. "10 dollars" (AUD).

My usual hobby is building, repairing, and modifying guitar pedals of different sorts, with a recent interest to move into working on the several tube guitar amplifiers I have, and though not a guitar amp, this for the price seems like a good opportunity to get started with valves.

I've spent the last several hours reading what information is to be found on the KEL84 to see what I've gotten myself into, and have joined this forum to see if you can help or advise me how to get some build instructions (for purchase?) for the KEL84 as I think I'd like to back out and redo some of this wiring. Next I guess would be getting a matched pair of ECF80, and a quad of EL84 off eBay, though how discerning I need to be on this I don't know, and then run through the test and measure sections of this forum.

I do have a local Hi-Fi amplifier repair person who I'm sure I could pay to source the parts and make the repairs, but where's the fun in that.

I'm new to this forum, or any kind of forum for that matter, so please be kind.

I don't even have a set of speakers (advice for later).
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_3154.JPG (87.3 KB, 65 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3156.JPG (146.2 KB, 56 views)

Last edited by YummyFuzz; 25th September 2019 at 05:27 PM. Reason: A word and rephrasing.