World-Designs-Forum  

Go Back   World-Designs-Forum > DIY Projects > Sources
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Gallery Today's Posts Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Sources Your DIY source designs (turntables etc.)

Old 5th January 2007, 08:45 PM

Default Re: adjusting gyrodec SE

I permanently adjusted the suspension on my Gyro, & a few other things while I was at it. I prefer it to my 401 & Lencos now! The slate bed it rests on is on roller bearings.

Last edited by k9vap; 5th January 2007 at 09:06 PM.
Old 5th January 2007, 10:45 PM
Cotlake

What an ineresting solution. 4 drive belts no doubt deal to a degree with the speed problems and of course you've mounted it solidly but with isolators just as some of the Garrard boys do. You've also incorporated a linear tracking arm which in itself must bring considerable influence.

I do wonder about the overall cost of such a project. Disregarding the arm, how does the cost compare to taking a basic Garrard and mounting it in a CLD or Slate Deck? Is all the work your own or have you bought in professional assistance?

There is no doubt that what you have achieved is both excellent aesthetically and probably sound wise, but how attainable is that for the average punter?
Old 5th January 2007, 11:17 PM

It's not fair. I'm not supposed to like belt drives any more!
Old 6th January 2007, 12:14 AM

Well.....its not something I set out to do. It just evolved over the years that I have owned the Gyro.

I have recently discovered idler drives, & immersed myself totally into them & developing plinths & suspensions with info from this & other forums. The results have been startling, so much so that I was prepared to let the Gyro go.

However, before taking any action I may regret, I thought of applying what I had learnt with the idler drives to my Gyro, & basically contructed a massy wooden plinth for it. The slab of slate I had purchased years ago off ebay.

I have to say that the Gyro is now totally transformed & find myself listening to it more than the idler drives. Not sure exactly what has had the most effect. There was always an element of harshness I associated with the Gyro, & thats now gone. Perhaps getting rid of the acrylic?

I would class myself as a DIYer, doing everything myself. If I dont know how to DIY something, I will search the forums. Rather than employ a pro, I will buy a new tool! Ever since I bought my lathe, it has given me a new lease of creativity. I have made alot of mistakes along the way, but thats part of the fun.

So....cost wise, starting from scratch, it is more expensive than taking the Garrard route. But I already had the Gyro from 1999, so it didnt owe me anything. I would consider myself an very average punter that just cant leave things alone!
Old 6th January 2007, 11:40 AM
Cotlake

Hmm, that is very impressive and talented. I'm quite envious.
Old 6th January 2007, 05:19 PM

Any chance of a shot showing the arm in more detail? I'm toying with the idea of a Ladegaard myself.
Old 6th January 2007, 11:20 PM

Hey Coylake...there's a lot more people out there more talented than me....I just dabble!

Shane, I have posted this arm on other forums. Heres a link. Please email me if u need help or more info.

http://www.transaxeguitars.com/nonguitar.htm

All the best

Vic