World-Designs-Forum  

Go Back   World-Designs-Forum > World Designs > WD Amplifiers
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Gallery Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

WD Amplifiers For discusson of World Designs Amplifiers

Old 29th May 2009, 01:31 PM

Default WDKel84 Speaker power?

Hi Guys

I'm fairly new to the Hi-Fi scene and am just waiting for new WDKel84 kits to become available so I can build one.

I want to spend about £300 on speakers to start with. I've been looking at the Dali Lektor (1 and 2) and the B&W 686/685(a little bit above my price range but maybe worth it)

Will the above speakers work well with the amp?

My source will be an iPOD (boo) and a Cambridge Audio Azur 640 V2.

Your thoughts, guys?

Thanks

Chris
Old 29th May 2009, 04:22 PM
Super Moderator

Default Re: WDKel84 Speaker power?

Hi Chris and welcome!

My brother works in retail hifi and last week we were discussing the fact that teenagers are now just coming through (into his market) without ever having bought a CD let alone vinyl record. All music downloads. Interesting thought. Anyway I think you're on the right track and envy your ears even if they do let you hear the shortcomings of mp3, which isn't too bad if you're not listening hard, worse though once you become used to good sound!

Rambling a bit , the Dali's look good and are a reasonable load, should sound good and go pretty loud with Kel84 if needed. If you can't try them with a Kel84 first then try them at the dealers on a mediocre and a better quality 30w amp to see if they sound reasonable. That will give you an idea if they are hard to drive. If they sound fairly similar on both amps then you can expect them to sound better still on the Kel84. If there's a vast difference then try a few other amps to be sure as they may be hard to drive. Try to get them in a similar position to how they'll be in your room too as it affects bass quality and amount. Some modern speakers are designed with subs/5.1 in mind whereas others have a decent full range for 2 channel use. A good dealer will tell you this.

Rich
Old 8th June 2009, 10:18 AM

You could consider the WD speakers which are perfect match?
Old 8th June 2009, 02:27 PM

Lexi, I'd love to build my own but I highly doubt I can do it for less than £300. Unless you can prove me wrong of course?

Thanks for your replies