World-Designs-Forum  

Go Back   World-Designs-Forum > World Designs > WD Loudspeakers
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Gallery Today's Posts Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

WD Loudspeakers For discussion of World Designs Loudspeakers

Old 23rd August 2011, 12:40 PM

Question WD25x with Exotic T35

Ive been facinated with the Dynaco a25 for a very long time, and Ive been on the verge of starting construction of WD25x many times these last years.

Finally Ive made a build like this my next project, so Im now in the process of gattering information. I would probably be using the T25CF002 tweeter, but Im also contemplating how the Exotic T35 would fit into the mix. The original a25 did use an 35mm tweeter, after all.
Yes, the Exotic tweeter is expensive, but not that much more than the Millennium.

Any opinions on this subject would be much appreciated.

http://www.seas.no/images/stories/ex...exotic-t35.pdf
Old 26th August 2011, 10:10 AM
Super Moderator

Default Re: WD25x with Exotic T35

Hello and welcome

You may have noticed WD has changed hands since Peter Comeau sold it to take up a post with IAG in China a couple of years ago. I do not know the present situation but think Peter's company Arena Electronics used to be the Seas UK distributors and this may or may not still be the case. As far as I know Seas are still alive and well and there should be no problem with supply from other sources.

WD is now owned by Matthew Snell and he has succesfully revised and re-launched much of the amplifier range.

For the present at least, WD no longer do speaker kits though hopefully you may get some input from past constructors. I will alert Peter and Matthew to your post and they will come in here if they feel there is more to add.

I can't remember anyone in the past using the tweeter you mention. A lot of design time and effort was put into the 2 units which were used and even then there were small revisions ongoing.

I'd be careful. It would be easy to get off track without careful measurement. Perhaps take what you can from the WD designs and put it together with your own thoughts and experience and let us know how it goes. At least you are in the right place to get drive units!
Old 26th August 2011, 04:48 PM

Thanks a bunch for your kind reply!

I have noticed that there have been changes to WD, but I must admit that I dont know the specifics. I did however notice that the forum lived on, so I thought this would be the best place for my question. Alas, there has not been too much activity lately. Ive since also posted my question on diyaudio.com.

The way I see the WD25 is as a well-functioning and respected clone of a legendary loudspeaker. I realize that a lot of time and effort has been put into this project, and that I now enjoy this work freely (something Im grateful for!). Thus, my question could be considered rude. This is in no way my intention. If the Exotic T35 tweeter had been available when the WD25 last had its revision, I would not have asked this question now. However, as its a pretty new design, I dont feel its wrong to ask "what if?". I hope for the designers understanding in this matter.

However, as the original Dynaco speakers used 35 mm tweeters, I must say that Im curious if the Exotic T35 would have been chosen instead of the Millennium as the high end option.

I must thank you for notifying both the designer and the new owner about my question, now I can only hope that my question is worthy a reply.

Thank you for your time!
Old 31st August 2011, 10:52 AM
Admin

Hello Saschagabor

I thought I should at least let you know my intentions on this.

Since February, when I took over World Designs, I have been concentrating entirely on getting what I regard as "core products" (the amplifiers) back on sale and this has been at the expense of the speakers. This was a deliberate decision - though one taken with some regret. Now things are getting back into order I shall be able to look to future planning which may (I would like it to!) include new speaker projects but this depends very much on how WD fares on the sales front.

For the moment, and for the short-term future I'm not planning anything on the speaker front.

I realize that I haven't added much to the "mix" here but hope that I've made the present situation clearer.

Matthew
Old 31st August 2011, 03:39 PM

Hi Matthew, thanks a lot for your reply!

It sounds like youve got a pretty rational approach to the resurrection of World Designs. It would probably be pretty reckless to try to maintain the full catalog when starting from scratch.

Do I interpret you correctly when I assume that the old speaker kits wont be brought back , but that youll focus on new projects? It is of course important with new projects, but I do hope youll also bring back some of the old kits.

Even if you post didnt "add much to the mix", I appreciate the fact that you took the time to respond nonetheless. Its also nice that you share your future plans and visions for your company, as it makes it easier for the rest of us to understand which route youre taking WD.

I wish you the best of luck, and I sincerely hope that there are still enough people who appreciate quality reproduction of music.

PS: If any of the old forum contributors have any opinions on the post topic, please do not hesitate to share it with us
Old 1st September 2011, 11:30 AM
Admin

Cheers for your kind remarks!

A bit early to make any committments but...

My early thinking was to come out with new projects rather than rely on tried and tested - but I might easily change my mind and go for a mix. I still theoretically have the designs (subject to trawling through a hard drive's worth of old files) but absolutely NO parts at all - it's almost as if WD never did any speakers! If there is a clear demand for any of the old models (I imagine I'd put out "feelers" on the forum), and it is fairly easy for me to be back in touch with suppliers I can readily imagine resurrecting one or two from the range.

But definitely not yet. Thank you though for your interest.
Old 12th September 2011, 06:35 PM

Just a little update:

Ive decided to build two sets of cabinets, one pair for Prestige tweeters and one pair to fit the Exotic T35 (or Excel line, with the help of a felt ring). A friend of mine will also be building a pair, the standard version.
Old 12th September 2011, 11:34 PM

Why?
Old 13th September 2011, 08:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg. View Post
Why?
It could be that they have a lot of tree's in Norway. BOB
Old 13th September 2011, 09:22 AM

Why what?