World-Designs-Forum  

Go Back   World-Designs-Forum > World Designs > WD Amplifiers
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Gallery Today's Posts Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

WD Amplifiers For discusson of World Designs Amplifiers

Old 18th December 2017, 09:38 PM

Default Re: Sonic Signatures of Volume Controls

Still not done anything with my one.

Can you tell me how you wired your one up please ?

Everything in this post is my honest opinion based on what i thought I knew at that very moment in time.
Old 19th December 2017, 08:17 AM

Hi all, following this thread, Philip, is your question asking shunt or conventional ?. BOB
Old 19th December 2017, 12:38 PM

I copied the Alps. The 2 outside contacts are input and ground. the middle . one is output.
I believe I read somewhere that a shunt is a waste of time with stepped attenuators but donīt ask me where I read it.
Old 19th December 2017, 11:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VantheMan View Post
I copied the Alps. The 2 outside contacts are input and ground. the middle . one is output.
I believe I read somewhere that a shunt is a waste of time with stepped attenuators but donīt ask me where I read it.
Logic would certainly suggest that. That's assuming that the stepped attenuator is in fact a ladder type, that is, a series of switched potential dividers. 2 resistors in the chain at any setting. The only question is what sort of resistors you use in the attenuator, and whether you think they make all that much difference, if any. I'm not getting into that argument. I have my own opinion/belief on that score and others have theirs.
There's simply no point at all in introducing a separate resistor into the equation if the attenuator is arranged as a potential divider. and you keep the benefit of a steadier input resistance. Again I have my own feelings on that.
I reckon the main advantage of a stepped attenuator over a standard potentiometer is that you can keep each stereo channel evenly matched at all settings whereas even the best pots will have a certain amount of mismatch along their travel, more so with Logarithmic tracks. Perhaps the perception of greater clarity etc etc is due to both channels receiving mtached and equal amounts of attenuation so no balance issues, electronically at least.
There are "Shunt" attenuators and these can often be simply wired so that the resistance of the shunt leg consists of the resistors wired in series and the switch wiper selects them sequentially and so the no of resistors in the circuit to ground will increase up to the number of steps.

just my thoughts for what they are worth.

Andy
Old 20th December 2017, 12:07 PM

The cheap Chinese valve buffer was (might still be) to be the recipient of this stepper volume control, but the original is fixed directly to a PCB so not as simple as I thought.

As the buffer has more than enough gain for my amps I may go shunt, and really splash out on bulk film resistors.

Everything in this post is my honest opinion based on what i thought I knew at that very moment in time.