World-Designs-Forum  

Go Back   World-Designs-Forum > World Designs > WD Amplifiers
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Gallery Today's Posts Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

WD Amplifiers For discusson of World Designs Amplifiers

Old 12th March 2018, 09:30 PM

Default Re: WDKT88VA Rubuild Time

Just thinking, I have an odd svet winged C KT88 here. You are welcome to it if it makes a quad up. I'll stick it in the amp and make sure it's still ok.

A.
Old 12th March 2018, 09:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moviemanic View Post
Hi Phil,

Yes I know the Gold Lions get good reports from many sources online. However my ears seem to favour a level of fine treble detail that the GLs just don't seem to deliver. Just a personal thing for me.

Two of my remaining Svetlana winged Cs have found a new home and are now in regular use in a Unision Research single ended amp that I also have - That's what an audiophile calls recycling!

I might go down the 6550 route with the WD. There are a few interesting choices there although a set of NOS GEs are probably out of my budget at present and no doubt very difficult to find. It all adds to the fun though!
I got very lucky with the GE 6550A. Bought at a swapmeet a good while back and I reckon I'd pay 4 x the amount for a set now.

A.
Old 15th March 2018, 09:50 PM

How are you getting on with it?

Andy.
Old 19th March 2018, 07:33 PM

Hi Andy,

It's a slow burn project for me due to work and family commitments. Just planning the work at the moment rather than actually doing anything. I also need the weather to warm up to I can bare being out in the shed with my test gear.

Still debating weather to change the coupling caps, cathode caps etc. I may change the 23 position stepped attenuator so looking into options there also.

The mains transformer has worked loose so that needs some attention. I think the chassis has bent due to it's weight. Has anyone else noticed that happening on their amp?