World-Designs-Forum  

Go Back   World-Designs-Forum > The Coffee Bar
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Gallery Today's Posts Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

The Coffee Bar Drop in for a chat or say hello if you're a new member!

Old 7th June 2017, 06:52 AM

Default No new post's.

What is going on, no one has posted for many weeks, is everybody so happy or what
Old 7th June 2017, 07:28 AM
Super Moderator

Default Re: No new post's.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob orbell View Post
What is going on, no one has posted for many weeks, is everybody so happy or what

Hello BOB
Yes it is a bit quiet isnít it?
The Hi Fi is on the backburner other things in the way for the moment

But I will be doing some Record shopping . on Saturday as we have four new record shops opened up selling new and old Albums
should be fun day out as the biggest shop is a bar and restraint with the vinyl record theme thoughtout the building
Old 7th June 2017, 08:32 AM

Hi Colin, glad that someone is alive and kicking, yes we too have a shop that does second hand records, picked up a superb copy of Mike Oldfield's Incantations for £ 8.00 a few week ago, new records, sadly are too expensive . I am now thinking about putting a pre amp together using autoformers as Ali has done. BOB
Old 7th June 2017, 10:27 AM
Super Moderator

Haha yes still alive and kicking out here Bob Relaxing to a few tunes in the evenings
Had the soldering iron out a couple of times. Gerry and I rebuilt his Quad 606 with new electros and new neoprene mounts for its big frame TX. The originals were a rare oversight by Quad made from a poor plastic foam that literally turns to dust after errm 20 years or so. Then he was around again a couple of weeks ago and we changed some parts to increase the 3mV sensitivity of the phono module of his 34 preamp to suit the 1.6mV Denon hi op MC.
My own set up's been pretty stable the last year or two. The Tannoy Chatsworths were the last listen last year and they've now found a new home so things are steady again for a while...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg quad34phono.jpg (28.1 KB, 15 views)
Old 7th June 2017, 10:30 AM

O Richard, I just gave a Quad 34 MC input module to a chum some two weeks ago, I hope he will use it. BOB
Old 7th June 2017, 11:09 AM
Super Moderator

Hi Bob yes I'm sure he will as they're all similar and can be rebuilt with a handful of resistors and caps to suit any cart.
Quad did 3 MM and 3 MC types off the shelf but most MM around are 3mV.
(The MC modules have different transistors as they are 10x the gain of the MM ones.)
Denon 160 hi op MC is designed for 47k MM input so the 3mV MM got us into the right ballpark but vol was lowish as it is a 1.6mV cart so we doubled sensitivity by changing caps and resistors
Old 7th June 2017, 03:48 PM

Quote:
Hi Colin, glad that someone is alive and kicking, yes we too have a shop that does second hand records, picked up a superb copy of Mike Oldfield's Incantations for £ 8.00 a few week ago, new records, sadly are too expensive . I am now thinking about putting a pre amp together using autoformers as Ali has done. BOB
Might be selling mine Bob, let me knw if you're interested.
Old 7th June 2017, 06:52 PM

Hi Ali, I was following your post's on, I think Audio Talk, and thought you were impressed in your build, can I ask why you are selling? I assume it is the one you built and posted a link to the American company who supply the auto former's. BOB
Old 7th June 2017, 08:10 PM

Quote:
.... we too have a shop that does second hand records, picked up a superb copy of Mike Oldfield's Incantations .... BOB
Superb choice Bob. I've been listening to Mike Oldfield records again after neglecting them for a while. Very enjoyable.

Frank
Old 7th June 2017, 08:51 PM

Quote:
Hi Ali, I was following your post's on, I think Audio Talk, and thought you were impressed in your build, can I ask why you are selling? I assume it is the one you built and posted a link to the American company who supply the auto former's. BOB
Only selling because I don't need a pre now, and the best pre is no pre.:-)

I'm using a miniDSP 4x10HD active crossover, which has a balanced and a single ended input. I use the SE input for my phono stage and the balanced for my Mytek dac, which handles the rest of my sources.

Only realised I could do this three weeks ago.