World-Designs-Forum  

Go Back   World-Designs-Forum > The Coffee Bar
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Gallery Today's Posts Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

The Coffee Bar Drop in for a chat or say hello if you're a new member!

Old 19th March 2018, 09:43 AM
Super Moderator

Default BBC scraps plans to turn off FM

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-5514415/BBC-scraps-plans-turn-FM-radio.html
Old 19th March 2018, 11:16 AM

Default Re: BBC scraps plans to turn off FM

Yes, I heard about this on the radio news yesterday. Good news I think. I'm sure the future will ultimately be digital but not crappy DAB with it's low data rate and mono transmissions.
MP2 is a fossil not the future.

Phil.
Old 19th March 2018, 11:28 PM
Super Moderator

I breathed a sigh of relief reading this, but the question one must ask is, is everything analogue going to be digitised then re analogued (bad english!!) at the transmitter, with all the associated chances that the accountants will get their hands on it and compress it to b*****y so they can fit it down the landlines before it is turned back to analogue.

John
Old 20th March 2018, 09:35 AM

John,

The BBC has been digitising the feed to the FM transmitters for decades. See https://www.bbceng.info/Technical%20...digits-fm.html for details.

I'm pleased that FM has been reprieved for now; not least because one of our cars is not DAB equipped and reception of DAB inside a house in our area is dire. Not so FM.

I have to admit that DAB in the car is a bonus - 6 Music and clear 5 Live; but why the BBC wasn't given 2 multiplexes so that sensible bit rates could be used remains a source of annoyance. One might conclude that the politicians don't like the BBC, unlike the public it seems.

Mind you, I miss BBC for Europe on 648kHz.

F.
Old 25th March 2018, 10:33 AM

Years ago the Swedes decided that until something 'better' came along they were going to stay with FM. Of course it helps that Sweden is a very flat country.

When I lived in Rotterdam, my friend Jon had a motorised FM aerial on the roof - that whole part of northern Europe is very, very flat so very good radio reception is possible from Denmark, Germany, Belgium, northern France and of course the Netherlands. The Rock Palais gig every week fromm Germany was a must.

Here in France the only FM station worth listening to is France Musique, the rest is just Europop crap.