World-Designs-Forum  

Go Back   World-Designs-Forum > The Coffee Bar
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Gallery Today's Posts Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

The Coffee Bar Drop in for a chat or say hello if you're a new member!

Old 9th May 2018, 08:09 PM

Default Re: SME & Garrard

Bobís neatly machined small billet of aluminium arrived today so I have carried out the experiment the he did and asked others to do. I placed the aluminium block on to the Garrard chassis alongside the 33 rpm spinning platter and lowered the stylus onto the block. I wound the volume of my amp up from -80dB to 0dB. There was no buzz or any other noise whatsoever from the speakers. I repeated the experiment at 45 rpm with the same result.

I can only conclude that Bobís deck has an as yet undiscovered fault or there is something in its overall construction that is causing the problem. Just to be clear, my Garrard chassis is bolted down tightly to a large slab of polished Welsh Blue slate. I have not used the damping grommets that normally sit on the mounting bolts between the chassis and the plinth. The slab of slate is spiked onto a 30mm plank of hardwood which in turn is spiked onto a wall shelf. My arm is mounted in a separate slate armboard which is decoupled from the plinth by a large ĎOí ring. I remember that when we all started using these old decks, a lot of emphasis was put on decoupling the arm from the plinth. The original Slatedeck was made with two tiers of slate and the arm board was completely detached from the top plinth and spiked to the one below. I donít know if any of that helps.

Bob, I can return your aluminium billet, but I wonder if any other member would like to try the experiment and if you are willing, I could forward it directly to them.
Old 10th May 2018, 07:16 AM

Thank's for trying my experiment Greg, interesting, my 401's motor noise can just be heard above quite music, something very wrong , with regard to the piece I sent you, no I don't want it back, you can do as you wish. BOB
Old 14th May 2018, 03:08 PM

At the risk of having another post deleted - for anyone contemplating buying an idler or d/d, Greg's last post encapsulates the difference between buying one or other of the superbly engineered plug and play Japanese super decks and a bog standard Garrard - you pays yer money and makes yer choice. This just about sums it all up.