World-Designs-Forum  

Go Back   World-Designs-Forum > World Designs > General
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Gallery Today's Posts Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

General For anything else WD or hifi

Old 6th September 2017, 02:26 PM

Default Volume control thoughts.

I saw bikerman's thread and thought I might offer my take on this subject.

I never understood how it is possible to sell stepped attenuators that have an enormous amount of positions - 32/64 completely irrational, who the hell needs this amount of variation.

LPs and CDs can and do have different levels of mastered sound. Then there are domestic situations including sleeping children and dragons that have to be taken into account.

If either of these is a problem then surely a h/amp is the solution. Enter the Seiden 6 position switch. I mention this because it is top quality with a great reputation. Fitted with Z foil resistors to match the individual's requirements seems to me the perfect solution for a fraction of the price of the stepped attenuators and an Alps Blue has a really crappy sound and shunting it is really nec. but at best it's a patch-up.

Many comment on the Z foils without ever having used them so use other coloured resistors if that is what you want, whatever but 6 positions has to be enough to cover different recordings or late night listening. Other solutions to get a really good sound I don't know.
Old 6th September 2017, 11:33 PM

Default Re: Volume control thoughts.

Well, I've had 23 position steppers and home brew 6 position steppers and to be sure, my experience is the greater the variation, the better so I prefer as much choice as possible for volume control. Like much else DIY Hi-Fi, it is all personal preference. I found six positions too limiting but YMMV.
Old 7th September 2017, 11:47 AM
Super Moderator

Mine's a 0 to 21 stepper but I only use 0 to 6 so I suppose it depends on getting the range in the right place. The rest of the range isn't needed but lets me choose the part that is.
Old 1st January 2018, 01:33 PM

Apologies for not replying to posts sooner.

I've just popped for a Massdrop, Dark Voice 336SE h/amp - why - it's point-to-point wiring.

I only found out about Oliver Heaviside's seminal work on electrical conduction about 6 years ago. He put forward his papers on this subject before the end of the 19th century, no one in the scientific community has ever challenged his findings. Using this as a basis for analogue i/connect design was a huge breakthrough, for me the only avenue of research left is, conductor material.

I was going to replace the ridiculous 250K pot that comes with the D/V for an Alps Blue, 50 or 100K shunted with Z foils. I may well still do but the idea of using the Seiden with with Z foils remains an attractive option. As it's a h/amp I'm not sure I even need 6 options, though I certainly would if I was listening through speakers.