World-Designs-Forum  

Go Back   World-Designs-Forum > World Designs > General
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Gallery Today's Posts Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

General For anything else WD or hifi

Old 13th May 2018, 05:07 PM
Super Moderator

Default Re: Dark Voice 336SE h/amp

Stuart

Well I am not into A/V ether just a TV amp and the headphones for my blue ray and standard DVDs when i dont want my speakers on

I do like watching live concerts of the like of Jeff beck at Ronnie Scots and others like Diana krall Nora Jones and peter green splinter group and many others

ON Netflix they do their own series and some good US stuff I have not seem before no good on the music side though that needs to be improved but hay for £7.99 a month for 1080p playback nothing wrong with that
Old 13th May 2018, 06:55 PM

Colin,
that's a good price, if your into classical then Mezzo is seriously good, the sound is HD. Needed to get a new box from Orange and they give a month free of all the pay channels.

There is a seriously good Franco/German channel - ARTE if you can get it via the net, definitely worth watching. Loads of excellent wildlife/cultural programmes in the morning and does lots of UK/US/European/Scandinavian films at night and from about midnight, lots of music as well. Saw the bi-op on Ginger Baker, he's very fond of the eff word but his drumming was good.

Made a big boo-boo when we lived in Galicia - the history of Flamenco, should have recorded it.

Should have gone to Sussex Uni to see Bowie/Pink Floyd/Sonny Terry& Brownie Mcghee - bollocks - too late now - so it goes.
Old 21st August 2018, 08:02 PM

Here's a simple question for those who can and do design amps from scratch:

The D/V is a great sounding h/amp BUT volume control is crazy with only a tiny slot available before it goes too loud.

I could attenuate the incoming signal but I don't see how that is going to really solve the problem.

So - can I simply bypass the 250K pot and feed the circuit from an external volume control?

That for me would be the optimum solution.
Old 21st August 2018, 11:08 PM

Yes you can do that, but why not rewire your pot with the Shunt Pot model in the FAQ. This can be used not only for improved sound but to attenuate gain as Richard explains. Actually it was your friend Steve Poskett who first came up with this or at least, brought it to our attention.

http://www.world-designs.co.uk/forum...ead.php?t=5795
Old 23rd August 2018, 11:26 AM

Greg,
volume control like signal wiring I see as hugely important. Shunting an Alps Blue with Z foils works beautifully, that's what I did with both my Bada amps. However the pot in the D/V isn't the best.

Also I'm awaiting the kit to build a Stereo Coffee LDR with the latest PSU board that Chris has been working on for a year. This should be a whole order different from any pot, shunted or not.

As it will be so easy to change the signal wiring it will present an excellent opportunity for a shoot-out between s/plated OFHC copper/high purity silver and 6N copper solid core using the same FEP tubing, the LDR being so clear.
Old 30th August 2018, 12:04 AM

Ok, slow response because Iíve been away with no service on my phone.

The very benefit of pseudo shunt is that it is an upgrade exactly because it deals with poor pot quality. That was the design intention from the outset. The whole point is that the signal no longer goes through the plastic carbon film of the pot. The pot is simply used for the function of shunting excess volume to ground and where you set the dial distinguishes the amount of volume shunted.

Stereo Coffee? Good luck with that. Loads of issues in my experience. I spent over a year negotiating with Chris Daly trying to get one of his units to work properly for me and it never happened. I also spent a shed load of wasted money on the product and on postage between the U.K. and New Zealand. Furthermore, his own construction be it circuit or casework is exceedingly incompetent DIY. Couple that with the fact that his products are actually illegal in the EU because the LDRís he uses contained the banned Cadmium. In certain circumstances, cadmium is allowed but what Chris supplies from New Zealand is undoubtably illegal here/France. This means you canít sell it on if you donít like it, and I predict you wonít. After a lot of wasted money and faff, the final pre amp sounded absolutely very big shit. I will never go there again and if you are able to, I would strongly advise you to cancel your order with Stereo Coffee pronto.
Old 30th August 2018, 03:27 PM

Greg,
interesting - how long ago was that? I did read on an Australian forum a solitary buyer who also had a long running really bad experience with this kit but that was the only one I read about. Are you that person? He, Chris did everything he could to resolve the problem and he offered to refund in full. No one else came forward to say that they couldn't get their unit to work.

As to Chris using LEDs with Cadmium - doesn't he use the same ones as Lightspeed and Tortuga?

The Java uses a Chris Daly design qwith knobs on and is hugely regarded.

The layout isn't difficult and I bought on his advice a really good aluminium chassis from China. Being of lowland Scots blood I have resisted from buying an expensive power supply but may regret that in the future - the PSU having a profound effect in any piece of audio gear that requires one.

I shall be sending Chris enough of the s/plated OFHC and high purity silver multi conductor assemblies to try out, it will be interesting to hear what he thinks.

Once again, very sorry to hear you couldn't get his kit to work and it's not as if you are incompetent at building or repairing gear.
Old 31st August 2018, 11:39 PM

Stuart, the Australian discontent was not me. I never published anything about my own discontent.

There are several issues. The first is that Chris is probably dislexic. Now I don’t know if I am right so this is entirely a presumption on my part, but his construction instructions have very poor sentence construction coupled with a lack of punctuation. They are therefore a nightmare to understand which might easily result in construction mistakes being made. This is why I ended up sending my kit back for him to sort out. He bought in a Chinese chassis and added a power supply, and the returned kit looked nothing like what I originally started with so it was all so confusing. The internal soldering left a lot to be desired. His engineering of the Chinese chassis to accommodate the Stereo Coffee kit was very amateurish and sloppy. That is channel selected indicator LED holes in the front panel being wobbly and not aligned.

Yes, indeed he does use the same LDR’s as Lightspeed and Tortuga, but that doesn’t make them legal. The reality is, if you buy the LDR’s used as individual components, you probably get around the EU legislation, but where they are an integral part of a completed construction, that construction is illegal. I am not aware, however of any offence being committed if you are a sole importer. It is when a company chooses to market the product or you choose to sell on that the the legality kicks in. Looking back, and if I wanted to persue this volume control option, I would pay the extra dollars and go with a Tortuga, but in reality, I believe the design principle to be basically flawed in terms of sound reproduction. My current preference is to carry on with the conventional methods we are happily used to. Why? Because as I previously said, when up and running, the LDRvolume control sounded absolutely sh*t. Oh, another thing to consider, the LDR volume control is marketed as a passive product. I found it definitely had gain. Therefore, not passive at all.

My overall experience with Stereo Coffee has been one I prefer to forget as a failed avenue I once incorrectly and ignorantly pursued to my financial and time consuming cost. Going back to my caving days, a bit like going down an unknown passage to find it comes to a go nowhere dead end. Loads of energy put out with nothing as a result.

As you seem to be well committed into a Stereo Coffee contract, I’ll be interested to read your experience when you put yours into use. Please let us know how you get on.

Last edited by Greg.; 31st August 2018 at 11:52 PM.
Old 1st September 2018, 12:02 PM

As usual Greg -a straightforward reply. You don't say how long ago this was. I did notice that many, whilst satisfied with the end result did complain about the confusing instructions but that was a few years ago.

He now posts a colour schematic layout that even someone like me can understand easily.

Aluminium chassis - chenwang1986 @ $49. This is a very well made chassis to a professional standard, damned heavy as well. I would rec. this to anyone thinking of building a pre-amp/class D or similar. He discussed at length various options for the power supply. He has also taken on board the idea of supplying as part of the kit stand-offs for the PCBs. I would have started on building the kit already but he was just waiting on the new PSU PCBs to arrive and at no extra expense he is sending me one without asking me to send back the original.

I should add the kit comes with 3 x PCBs' already populated and tested, they only have to be wired up as do the controls and of course a star earth created.

This is not only a volume control but a preamp which I need for my new Parasound Zamp and the D/V bypassing the contentious volume control.

The kit I have at hand is the late 2017 one + the new PSU board when it arrives. There is a thread on diyaudio started by crash999 on July 14th 2018 - Chris Daley's Stereo Coffee Preamp - he got one built by Chris Daley and apart from a glitch with the input switch - well read the OP's post. Sadly the threadcrappers came in and I just had to respond - I thoroughly enjoyed the g&t.

Vamos a ver/let's see.
Old 1st September 2018, 04:51 PM

I was messing around with Stereo Coffee about two years ago. Let us hope Chris has improved things since then. I do think you need to consider the legality issue. In your case, it is Chris who is acting illegally by exporting to you in the EU. Also, consider product disposal. If you don’t get on with the Stereo Coffee, what are going to do with it? You can’t lawfully sell it on and any disposal would need to be treated as a product containing a hazardous substance. Land fill is not appropriate here.