World-Designs-Forum  

Go Back   World-Designs-Forum > World Designs > General
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Gallery Today's Posts Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

General For anything else WD or hifi

Old 7th March 2018, 05:10 PM

Default Dark Voice 336SE h/amp

Just heard it's on it's way, now I await the EU Customs charges when it arrives

Shame that WAD never thought to do any point-to-point designs, so much easier to mod. As an OTL it will get hot but thoughtfully the sidewalls are perforated and as with the Badas I shall remove the bottom plate and use a computer fan for active cooling. The driver valve is variable, I shall try various 6SN7 but I'm sure I will end up using a 6F8G Tung Sol round plate with adaptor.

If I have the room I may well use a Seiden switch using 4 x Z foils after trying cheaper Rs to determine values and definitely a better jack socket. As always one mod at a time.
Old 20th March 2018, 12:41 PM

Default Re: Dark Voice 336SE h/amp

It arrived via Germany two days ago. As none of the paperwork had been opened I'm keeping my fingers crossed that I will not be hit by TVA @ 20% on the whole cost or the standard Douane/Customs charge. This could be because it came 'in transit' via Germany and once inside the EU there are no inter-country charges - like I said fingers crossed.

If so I got the D/V for $US 199.00/144 - now that is a steal.

The D/V is very well made, the chassis is top notch as is the construction inside. It will be so easy to change out components.

I've read all the comments and I've been very pleasantly surprised that some of them have been plain wrong in a very positive way. There has been no sign of it getting very hot and I've only experienced a little hum with one tube.

Surprisingly I've found the supplied Chinese tubes to be very good producing an articulate open sound. Not at all harsh and with a very good bass and soundstage.

What has been a shock is that I cannot agree at all with assumption that the D/V and the Senn 650s are made for each other. Maybe it's because my 650s are old but they sound muddy and booming bass is terrible.

Joni Mitchell's - Herija is a good piece to test for both bass and treble response. Jaco Pastorius is very prominent on this LP and I have never heard just how varied and spacious his bass is before the combo of D/V and Beyerdynamic DT990 600 ohm Premium cans.

The Beyer 990s simply slaughter the Senn 650s on all fronts. The detail is incredible without in any way being sterile. 'Apparently' the bass is a bit lightweight, absolutely not true. The bass has real weight and depth and detail. Soundstage isn't wide but is really deep. The Senn 650s is boomy one note and bloody awful, Ive ben missing so much detail with the 650s - like I said a real shock.

Bear in mind that this amp has had only a few hours of use, whereas the cans I bought s/hand and are 9 months old.

The Beyers can only reproduce what the amp creates. For an amp to display so much excellent detail, spaciousness and characterful bass from new is amazing.

The D/V has one negative for me - it doesn't have an additional AUX input but it does have a huge + it operates as a pre-amp as well. It's making me rethink amplifier alternatives - mosfet/class D.

The pot is 2150K I shall do a quasi shunt with z foils but I can see a radical change here. a Simple switch instead of a pot or stepped att. - It's a head amp just how many positions do you really need - 3 or 4.

With the Beyers there is a little brightness, I don't believe it is the cans, the early D/Vs had only carbon resistors, now they are metal film. I shall try various Rs on pins 1 & 4 on the first valve. This slight brightness is there even with a 6F8G Tung Sol first valve - this valve has no brightness at all.

The D/V 336SE can be bought right now on Massdrop @$US 199 + postage $US225. In it's basic state this is a stonkingly good head and pre-amp, with mods it's a steal.
Old 23rd March 2018, 08:43 PM

A question for the wise ones - the pot is 250K and the resistor to pin 1 on the pot is 100K is this value related to that of the pot, I need to know before I order different resistors in the signal path.
Old 24th March 2018, 05:46 PM

Have you ever listened to Stax ear speakers Stuart, I have been using my SR404 head set and SRM 006t valve energiser for over 30 years and never wanted to look inside, it's pure heaven. BOB
Old 25th March 2018, 10:21 AM

Bob,
I'm very pleased with the D/V and that it can be used as a pre-amp. A reply on diyaudio suggests I can use a 10K pot/att. I certainly couldn't use this 250K pot for pre-amp use as the only useable position is at 9 o clock, the merest upward weak and the sound is unlistenable.

Maybe a 20K shunted pot or one of the Chinese stepped att. using SMD resistors, one member here has already commented positively on these and many on diyaudio.
Old 25th March 2018, 11:25 PM

Stuart,

You may well have already seen this but if not it might help.

http://www.world-designs.co.uk/forum...ead.php?t=5795

Phil.
Old 26th March 2018, 09:31 AM

Phil,
yes I might well use a shunted pot but also the cheap Chinese stepped atts. have a good reputation used by a member on this forum and by many on diyaudio.

If I revert to just using the D/V as a h/amp I will buy a selector switch and use Z foils. After all just how many positions do you need with a h/amp, it's not like your using speakers and need to turn the volume right down late at night or if it is distracting to someone else and only an idiot would use a volume that will damage their hearing.So, I reckon 3 or 4 positions is enough.
Old 15th April 2018, 11:30 AM

I tried a very simple mod I saw on another forum - removed the cathode resistors, pins 3&6 and replaced with LEDS, HLMP-6320 HP sub miniatures, achieving a steadier biasing voltage - it works.

Played a lot of real 70s reggae last night, the bass was good before but a lot more tight deep bass and instrument separation. I shall disconnect the pre-amp out which should amplify these changes.

I must now change the signal wiring to the pot otherwise I won't hear any changes correctly downstream. For $199 the D/V really is a steal.