World-Designs-Forum  

Go Back   World-Designs-Forum > WAD > WAD General
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Gallery Today's Posts Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

WAD General For discussions re World Audio Design

Old 31st March 2018, 12:45 PM

Default Kat88 Power Amp Seen On Sale

On Ebay there is a Kat88 Power Amp for sale, on my last look it was less than 200, it is seen to have had some of the suggested upgrades, but it does not make a reference to a Output Tranny Upgrade.
Old 31st March 2018, 02:22 PM
Super Moderator

Default Re: Kat88 Power Amp Seen On Sale

What output transformer upgrade???????

John
Old 31st March 2018, 02:58 PM

I thought there was a time when some owners chose Sowter 082 transformers , as a exchange for the original output transformer.
Old 31st March 2018, 03:09 PM

Lovely looking amp. Would this be an upgrade from my K5881 MKII
Old 31st March 2018, 04:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuff3rs View Post
Lovely looking amp. Would this be an upgrade from my K5881 MKII
only if you need more power,, the k5881 is a good amp

dave
Old 31st March 2018, 04:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by davebms View Post
only if you need more power,, the k5881 is a good amp

dave
Thanks for the answer. I think I'll stick to what I have then.
Cheers.
Old 31st March 2018, 10:36 PM

John you are right. Several owners upgraded to Sowter O/P Tx’s, actually, John Caswell included! It was at the time a big financial step some could not stretch to including me.

Studying the circuit board picture, all I can detect upgrade wise is the inclusion of Audionote paper in oil coupling caps and a pair of Phillips higher spec (recommended by Richard) electrolytic caps on the input stage. Given the age of the kit, I would certainly be wanting to change the paper in oil caps, probably (my preference) for something polypropylene. Audionote paper in oil caps do not last well and can start to leak oil or simply breakdown in performance.

The build looks generally good and if I was in the market for such a kit, I would go for this one in some seriousness.

I completely disagree with davebms. Yes, Nuff3rs, this would be a significant improvement over your Mk2 5881 in terms of dynamic performance being more transparent, more immediate and frequency extended. It will also give you a more authoritive immediate sound. The KT88 valves coming with this auction are good although we don’t know their age so replacement might be required.

If the price stays below 400, I suggest this is an auction well worth contemplating. Bang in a bid or two is my suggestion.
Old 1st April 2018, 11:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg. View Post
John you are right. Several owners upgraded to Sowter O/P Txs, actually, John Caswell included! It was at the time a big financial step some could not stretch to including me.

Studying the circuit board picture, all I can detect upgrade wise is the inclusion of Audionote paper in oil coupling caps and a pair of Phillips higher spec (recommended by Richard) electrolytic caps on the input stage. Given the age of the kit, I would certainly be wanting to change the paper in oil caps, probably (my preference) for something polypropylene. Audionote paper in oil caps do not last well and can start to leak oil or simply breakdown in performance.

The build looks generally good and if I was in the market for such a kit, I would go for this one in some seriousness.

I completely disagree with davebms. Yes, Nuff3rs, this would be a significant improvement over your Mk2 5881 in terms of dynamic performance being more transparent, more immediate and frequency extended. It will also give you a more authoritive immediate sound. The KT88 valves coming with this auction are good although we dont know their age so replacement might be required.

If the price stays below 400, I suggest this is an auction well worth contemplating. Bang in a bid or two is my suggestion.
Hi Greg,
Hope you are well mate.

Thanks for the reply. I think I'll keep an eye on it and maybe have a bid if it doesn't go Up to a silly price.

I'll send you a PM now
Old 1st April 2018, 01:04 PM
Super Moderator

Hi all,
The Sowter 082 was not so much an upgrade as a change as I was not very happy with the original output transformer which exhibited some nasties. The later opts were much improved.

John