World-Designs-Forum  

Go Back   World-Designs-Forum > World Designs > WD Amplifiers
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Gallery Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

WD Amplifiers For discusson of World Designs Amplifiers

Old 21st September 2015, 01:36 PM

Default Re: MY Phono 3 has started bop bopping

Sorry Martin, I missed that post, so now I am completely at a loss, the diodes you are asking for are listed as 1N4001. BOB
Old 21st September 2015, 02:07 PM
Super Moderator

Is this your pcb Martin?

You will have just 2 caps instead of the 6 grey ones.

Are any other components different/missing? Do you have all 4 small blue electrolytics fitted?

Old 21st September 2015, 02:19 PM

Hi Richard,
Yes that's it and there is only one capacitor (0.1uF 250V) in the bank of 3 and those are in the inside ones (C1 & C2). Also I obviously don't have the associated switches but everything else looks the same.
What are those lovely looking caps in C11 and 12 alongside V3?
And yes I do have the 4 10uF 450V smoothing capacitors (just putting them back now after an earlier suggestion that I should remove them and see if it made a difference (it didn't).
Regards
Martin
Old 21st September 2015, 03:15 PM
Super Moderator

That sounds right then Martin. This is my first 3S in the pics. I built my second one as you describe yours; it's a 3S without switchable LF. I asked Peter for that pcb at the time as it gives the extra decoupling caps and adjustable hf etc. Looks like he went the same way for both models later on.

The big blue ones are 2.2uF output caps, Soniqs polyprops from Matthew instead of the orange drops, http://www.world-designs.co.uk/pxx.htm

Ignoring the rest of the gubbins does yours have the resistor and large 400V cap here,

Old 21st September 2015, 04:23 PM

Yes but my capacitor is 100uF 450V. I've just been switching a load of ECC83 valves around in the hope that it is a faulty one causing the problem but once again I've drawn a blank.
Old 21st September 2015, 04:55 PM

Just out of curiosity, what amp's are you using ? integrated, pre- power and do you use other sources. I may not be the phono that is the culprit. BOB
Old 21st September 2015, 05:18 PM

Hi Bob,
I'm currently using a Quad 606, I have a pair of 300BPSE monoblocks but they're out on loan at the moment. I'm running everything through a passive pre that I built myself. The rest of the equipment is a Linn (one of the originals before they went to a hinged lid) which has been extensively upgraded, with an
Origi Live arm with a Transfiguration Spirit MC, hence the need for the Phono3.
I also have a Brennan and a Pure DAB receiver.
Nothing else is giving a problem, I've even tried putting the Phono3 through different inputs on the Passive Pre, but nothing has sorted the problem out.
Old 21st September 2015, 05:27 PM
Super Moderator

Well we've checked the live HT components but did you check ground? Just as important as if ground is not good it may be grounding by some strange high impedance route.

There are a few things to be aware of first;

1) the case of Phono is connected solidly to signal ground (HT cap negative)

2) the case of PSU is connected solidly to mains earth

3) signal ground (HT cap negative) in PSU (and connected Phono) is then connected to mains earth via 100R in PSU

This means the "earth" post on PSU case is mains earth and the post on Phono is really "signal ground". If the 2 cases touch the 100R earth lift will be lost so keep them separated. This gives 2 choices of grounding any connected equipment such as TT to either signal ground or mains earth.

Connect the 2 units then check the wiring through and become familiar. Then confirm it with a continuity/ohms meter at several points (power off).

For example, a probe on the mains socket iec earth pin in PSU and another on the case post of Phono should give 100R.

A probe on the case post of Phono and the other on the GND tag on the pcb of PSU should give 0R.
Old 21st September 2015, 05:36 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyprus Martin View Post
Hi Bob,
I'm currently using a Quad 606, I have a pair of 300BPSE monoblocks but they're out on loan at the moment. I'm running everything through a passive pre that I built myself. The rest of the equipment is a Linn (one of the originals before they went to a hinged lid) which has been extensively upgraded, with an
Origi Live arm with a Transfiguration Spirit MC, hence the need for the Phono3.
I also have a Brennan and a Pure DAB receiver.
Nothing else is giving a problem, I've even tried putting the Phono3 through different inputs on the Passive Pre, but nothing has sorted the problem out.
Did this PSU/Phono use to work OK in this set up Martin or is it a new installation?
Old 21st September 2015, 06:09 PM

I've had it several years and it's worked perfectly until the other day. It does get quite a lot of use partly because I have several hundred LPs and partly due to the appallingly bad programs on TV.
One of the first things that I checked was the earthing and there were no problems in that area. I've changed the interconnects, changed the valves, checked all the solder joints, renewed all the electrolytics. In the Phono3 I think that the only items I've not touched are the step up trannies, the resisters and the non-electrolytic capacitors.