World-Designs-Forum  

Go Back   World-Designs-Forum > World Designs > WD Amplifiers
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Gallery Today's Posts Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

WD Amplifiers For discusson of World Designs Amplifiers

Old 21st September 2016, 07:39 PM

Default Looking for WAD Phono 3/PSU3 and KIT-34 build instructions

Would anyone be able to furnish build instructions/schematics for the above? The Phono 3 that I have appears, rather confusingly, to use a 'WDPHONOII ISSUE 2' PCB so not quite sure what it actually is!
Old 22nd September 2016, 09:00 AM

Default Re: Looking for WAD Phono 3/PSU3 and KIT-34 build instructions

Hi tankertop, just to address this question, WAD should read WD .Some time ago on the forum, it was asked by Matthew, our administrator to go directly to him for the above build instructions as it may infringe his copy right if other members pass this information. Can you be more specific in your question?, then maybe members can help you. BOB
Old 22nd September 2016, 12:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob orbell View Post
Hi tankertop, just to address this question, WAD should read WD .Some time ago on the forum, it was asked by Matthew, our administrator to go directly to him for the above build instructions as it may infringe his copy right if other members pass this information. Can you be more specific in your question?, then maybe members can help you. BOB
Apologies re use of the correct name, getting old. Wanted the instructions for peace of mind really and to facilitate some tweaking. Happy to email Matthew for them if you can give me his email address? Bought some knobs from him before (I think) but the address has vanished.

With regards to the Cathode Bypass mod for the Phono stage, I've got some 47uf/25v Oscon SPs that I was going to parallel to get up to 235uf. Polarity wise, should the caps be aligned in the same direction as C12/C13 when soldered to R17/R18?
Old 22nd September 2016, 02:51 PM

To contact Matthew, scroll to the bottom of the page, on the right are the contacts, phone or email, the bypass capacitors should be 220 uF small voltage electrolytic across C17-18, with the neg. to 0 volts, they will increase gain and may sound much brighter, some like the mod, others hate it. BOB
Old 22nd September 2016, 05:13 PM

Quote:
To contact Matthew, scroll to the bottom of the page, on the right are the contacts, phone or email, the bypass capacitors should be 220 uF small voltage electrolytic across C17-18, with the neg. to 0 volts, they will increase gain and may sound much brighter, some like the mod, others hate it. BOB
Cheers for that!
Old 22nd September 2016, 06:15 PM
Super Moderator

Hi tankertop
Yes, the use of the os-con cap came from me; and Richard ran some tests between the standard cap, and the os-con with the 220uf os-con being better

I use the 47uf original as at the time I was running the phono 2 in to a solid-state amp so may depend on what amp you are using I would try the 47uf and see how it goís

then go up in cap value and see what you like best but cap run in time is needed trust your ears as BOB said some like it others donít have fun
Old 22nd September 2016, 07:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by colin.hepburn View Post
Hi tankertop
Yes, the use of the os-con cap came from me; and Richard ran some tests between the standard cap, and the os-con with the 220uf os-con being better

I use the 47uf original as at the time I was running the phono 2 in to a solid-state amp so may depend on what amp you are using I would try the 47uf and see how it goís

then go up in cap value and see what you like best but cap run in time is needed trust your ears as BOB said some like it others donít have fun
Excellent advice, have successfully used Oscon SPs in digital circuits before and agree they take time to bed in. Have also tried them in analogue signal lines previously but always ended up taking them out as, ultimately, they always sounded a little dead and lifeless. Am using with a Kit-34 rather than a solid-state so will report back.
Old 22nd September 2016, 07:22 PM

Quote:
Update: Matthew has very kindly sent me the instructions that he has (for the Phono 3 and PSU3) but the Kit-34 was before his time, so to speak. If anybody has a scanned copy of those I'd be eternally grateful...
Old 23rd September 2016, 04:09 PM

And have also now also received the Kit-34 instructions/schematics (thanks Richard!)
Old 24th September 2016, 06:28 PM
Super Moderator

Hi tankertop
you have PM
Colin