World-Designs-Forum  

Go Back   World-Designs-Forum > World Designs > WD Amplifiers
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Gallery Today's Posts Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

WD Amplifiers For discusson of World Designs Amplifiers

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #21  
Old 16th October 2016, 01:04 PM
Greg.'s Avatar
Greg. Greg. is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Bristol, UK
Posts: 2,992
Default Re: Missing Diagrams?

Quote:
Originally Posted by pager8 View Post
Greg I have in front of me a Rifa PZB 300 part No from RS as per Richards instructions and nowhere can I find any reference to polarity hence my original query.

pager8 (Geoff)
OK, I've rechecked this and in fact I am wrong and the delta cap is not polarised. See the circuit printed on the body of the component. Also see the data sheet.

http://docs-europe.electrocomponents...6b8151545a.pdf

Bob, regarding your mains filter, I also built one of these many years ago and as Philip says, I found when used with my amplifiers, it robbed the sound of sparkle and dulled dynamics. I can remember a bake off at Richard's years ago when this effect was clearly demonstrated and audible to all. Thereafter I only used the filter on digital sources such as CDP, DVDP and TV. I would recommend having a listen with the filter removed. I do however still rate the simple spike filter fitted to the back of the amps IEC socket, subject of this conversation.

Now I use an Airlinks Balanced Power Supply with a DC blocker to feed my system as I have found this brings a significant improvement to the sound overall.

Last edited by Greg.; 16th October 2016 at 01:06 PM. Reason: Grammar
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 16th October 2016, 01:17 PM
pager8 pager8 is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Bristol
Posts: 16
Default Re: Missing Diagrams?

Thanks Bob,
That was exactly what was confusing me as I didnt want to install them the wrong way round (if there was a wrong way) any way all is clear now thanks to you all.
Regards

pager8 (Geoff)
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 17th October 2016, 09:30 AM
bob orbell bob orbell is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: kettering northants.
Posts: 1,451
Default Re: Missing Diagrams?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg. View Post
OK, I've rechecked this and in fact I am wrong and the delta cap is not polarised. See the circuit printed on the body of the component. Also see the data sheet.

http://docs-europe.electrocomponents...6b8151545a.pdf

Bob, regarding your mains filter, I also built one of these many years ago and as Philip says, I found when used with my amplifiers, it robbed the sound of sparkle and dulled dynamics. I can remember a bake off at Richard's years ago when this effect was clearly demonstrated and audible to all. Thereafter I only used the filter on digital sources such as CDP, DVDP and TV. I would recommend having a listen with the filter removed. I do however still rate the simple spike filter fitted to the back of the amps IEC socket, subject of this conversation.

Now I use an Airlinks Balanced Power Supply with a DC blocker to feed my system as I have found this brings a significant improvement to the sound overall.
Thank's for tip Greg, I read the comments in the link that I posted, and will try as you suggest, I only have two digital sources, so I will let you all know my findings. I was going to have a balanced transformer made by a local winder, but never got round to it, may be one day. BOB
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 17th October 2016, 09:31 AM
bob orbell bob orbell is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: kettering northants.
Posts: 1,451
Default Re: Missing Diagrams?

Quote:
Originally Posted by pager8 View Post
Thanks Bob,
That was exactly what was confusing me as I didnt want to install them the wrong way round (if there was a wrong way) any way all is clear now thanks to you all.
Regards

pager8 (Geoff)
You are welcome Geoff.
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 18th October 2016, 01:48 AM
Greg.'s Avatar
Greg. Greg. is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Bristol, UK
Posts: 2,992
Default Re: Missing Diagrams?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob orbell View Post
Thank's for tip Greg, I read the comments in the link that I posted, and will try as you suggest, I only have two digital sources, so I will let you all know my findings. I was going to have a balanced transformer made by a local winder, but never got round to it, may be one day. BOB
I'll be interested to read about your findings on this. Certainly for me, running the amps without the filter really allowed them to sing properly. I highly recommend going for a BPS. In my experience it makes a considerable difference to sound quality. A quality I really like. No need to have one specially made. Airlinks http://www.airlinktransformers.com/b..._power_supply/ have a variety of options and to be sure, the basic models are absolutely fine. To save money I bought mine second hand.

Last edited by Greg.; 18th October 2016 at 12:44 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #26  
Old 18th October 2016, 09:35 AM
pre65's Avatar
pre65 pre65 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Ashen- Essex/Suffolk bord
Posts: 4,345
Default Re: Missing Diagrams?

Bob, If you would like to try a 1,000va (1Kva) balanced mains toroidal transformer send me a PM.

I purchased a few some time ago and have one spare.

My mains is pretty quiet so it was not a noticeable improvement for me.
__________________
Philip.

Everything in this post is my honest opinion based on what i thought I knew at that very moment in time.
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old 18th October 2016, 12:49 PM
Greg.'s Avatar
Greg. Greg. is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Bristol, UK
Posts: 2,992
Default Re: Missing Diagrams?

Quote:
Originally Posted by pre65 View Post
My mains is pretty quiet so it was not a noticeable improvement for me.
In my opinion, using a BPS is not just about dealing with a noisy mains supply. My experience is that it brings an overall improvement to sound quality in terms of weight, presence, authority and a better defined sound stage. A bonus which very much surprised me at the time of first use.
Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old 18th October 2016, 01:13 PM
pre65's Avatar
pre65 pre65 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Ashen- Essex/Suffolk bord
Posts: 4,345
Default Re: Missing Diagrams?

I've still got one of my transformers on a bit of MDF together with two 3 pin sockets, so I can try it again.

Last time I tried it was when Andrew I was here and neither of us could hear any differences.
__________________
Philip.

Everything in this post is my honest opinion based on what i thought I knew at that very moment in time.
Reply With Quote
  #29  
Old 18th October 2016, 02:53 PM
bob orbell bob orbell is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: kettering northants.
Posts: 1,451
Default Re: Missing Diagrams?

Quote:
Originally Posted by pre65 View Post
Bob, If you would like to try a 1,000va (1Kva) balanced mains toroidal transformer send me a PM.

I purchased a few some time ago and have one spare.

My mains is pretty quiet so it was not a noticeable improvement for me.
You have a PM Philip.
Reply With Quote
  #30  
Old 18th October 2016, 11:20 PM
Greg.'s Avatar
Greg. Greg. is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Bristol, UK
Posts: 2,992
Default Re: Missing Diagrams?

Quote:
Originally Posted by pre65 View Post
Last time I tried it was when Andrew I was here and neither of us could hear any differences.
I don't doubt your findings, Philip. Unfortunately I don't have the knowledge to give any explanation on why I found this result of improved sound quality, albeit, in discussions on this with Nick a while ago, he said it made electronic sense. Nigel also did it and got the same result, so he is also now a committed BPS user. Sorry, can't explain it but it just sounds better and to be sure, I really don't think this is a psycho-acoustic thing unless something has changed to my ability to assess sound. Hmmm, I don't think so.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 11:09 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.3
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright World Designs