World-Designs-Forum  

Go Back   World-Designs-Forum > World Designs > WD Amplifiers
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Gallery Today's Posts Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

WD Amplifiers For discusson of World Designs Amplifiers

Old 9th September 2017, 09:59 PM

Default Newbie with K5881 and KLPP1

Good evening,
I happened across you good folk looking around for what's what with respect to World Audio amps of a certain vintage.
The driver is that my old Dad is looking to sell on his K5881 power and KLPP1 pre amps. He built these probably over 20 years ago and doesn't really do them justice nowadays although they still look and perform as new. In his time he was a real hi-fi buff and they come with a stack of paperwork, build instructions, articles, etc plus a spare set of valves.

I enjoy my music and hi-fi and have had some serviced naim gear for ages which I still love and would struggle to replace with the valve amps.

So I guess the question is - how much, if any, of a market might there be and where should I advertise to ensure they go to a good home? I assume the market is too niche for ebay...?

Thanks you & regards

Doug
Old 10th September 2017, 08:51 AM

Default Re: Newbie with K5881 and KLPP1

Hello and welcome Doug, first point, the forum rules ask you not to advertise as your first post , but they will sell, and it is up to you to put a price on them, WAD and WD do sell well on ebay, look at completed listing's. Hope this helps you. BOB
Old 10th September 2017, 12:46 PM

Hello Doug,

You say you would not like to part with your Naim gear but have you listened to your dad's amps in your own system?

It would be wise to do this before you decide which you are going to sell.

Regards, Phil.
Old 10th September 2017, 02:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Y View Post
Hello Doug,

You say you would not like to part with your Naim gear but have you listened to your dad's amps in your own system?

It would be wise to do this before you decide which you are going to sell.

Regards, Phil.
I agree.

Everything in this post is my honest opinion based on what i thought I knew at that very moment in time.
Old 10th September 2017, 05:51 PM

Many thanks for the responses - and apologies if I broke any forum rules! Hopefully I wasn't explicitly advertising although I agree it's a fine line.

I agree it would be interesting to have a listen the WAD gear and compare to my NAP 140 + NAC 42.5 + HICAP although I'm pretty welded to the Naim gear for a number of reasons....!

However, whenever I muck around with my system the main benefit is that I sit down and listen to more music which can only be a good thing.

I'll make some enquiries around and see what comes of it...it's just interesting to dip into a new area of hi-fi!
Old 10th September 2017, 06:28 PM

Many thanks for the responses - and apologies if I broke any forum rules! Hopefully I wasn't explicitly advertising although I agree it's a fine line.

I agree it would be interesting to have a listen the WAD gear and compare to my NAP 140 + NAC 42.5 + HICAP although I'm pretty welded to the Naim gear for a number of reasons....!

However, whenever I muck around with my system the main benefit is that I sit down and listen to more music which can only be a good thing.

I'll make some enquiries around and see what comes of it...it's just interesting to dip into a new area of hi-fi!
Old 11th September 2017, 08:45 AM

Yes, I agree with Phil and Philip, many years ago I had Musical Fidelity 100 watt power amps in bi-amp form, it was good, I then tried WAD KAT 6550 35 watt's, very good, I now have WD WA88 and a tube Pre + tube Phono, wonderful . BOB
Old 11th September 2017, 10:38 AM
Super Moderator

Hello Doug and welcome,
The build instructions and associated paperwork would be useful on this forum. I suggest that to contact Matthew who runs World Designs to see what he would like to do with them as we have an archive tucked away somewhere.
Please do not dispose of them willy nilly.

John
Old 11th September 2017, 11:24 PM

Thanks chaps for your input - it has set me thinking.
I'll happily get hold of the paperwork from my Dad - he came down with a file full of articles, receipts, valves and circuit diagrams - I recognised the symbology but not the design!
Old 12th September 2017, 01:27 PM

Doug,

I was once the proud owner of NAC82/Supercap/NAP250 set up, driving my SBLs. A Naim fan you might say. Only the SBLs remain (I can't find anything else that is a better compromise but I suspect that is a personal view!).

When my 250 was in for a repair I tried my old and dusty K5881 and was somewhat amazed (once I'd performed a ground lift mod) with what I heard.

I flogged the Naim amps (people will pay a lot for it) and I'm now the proud owner of a Phono3/Pre3 (re-housed and with remote control) and the WD KT88. The WD amps provide a level of detail not matched by the Naims and retain a healthy slice of the PRAT for which Salisburys finest are justifably famous. It might be an age related preference, but preference it is.

The KT88 drives the SBLs better than expected; and to my ears is a good match, right up to ear splitting levels. I have occasionally hankered for a bit more bass, and have mused on the possible benefit bi-amping but I'm generally content.

I hope that gives you encouragement to give the KLPP1/K5881 a try. And if you like that the KT88 is better still.

F.