World-Designs-Forum

World-Designs-Forum (http://www.world-designs.co.uk/forum/index.php)
-   WD Other Parts and Projects (http://www.world-designs.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=41)
-   -   Alps, RH2702 50K pot. (http://www.world-designs.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=8039)

bob orbell 5th July 2021 09:37 AM

Alps, RH2702 50K pot.

Hi all, I have been looking for a cheap Alps 100k pot and came upon this on ebay, very cheap but it has 8 pins, two are for loudness connection, it arrived Friday and my intention was to pull it apart and fit the 100k parts into the new body of the RH2702, after taking this new pot apart it is very different, it has about 20 indents and instead of a carbon track
it has very neat miniature surface mount resistors, these measure far better than the carbon track, almost perfect, so I reassembled and fitted, it does sound very good and so cheap, not sure if this is a copy or original Alps, for a fiver try one, you may be impressed. Bob

Greg. 5th July 2021 10:56 AM

Re: Alps, RH2702 50K pot.

eBay link please, Bob.

Greg. 5th July 2021 12:23 PM

Is this the one?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/254690478...AAAOSwmRlfRJbp

bob orbell 5th July 2021 12:36 PM

That's the 100k Greg, here is the link for one I purchased, but they do come cheaper,( 1Pcs potentiometer 50K log alps audio amp volume control pot stereo ) ebay no. 294047120678. Bob

Richard 5th July 2021 01:19 PM

Interesting Bob, had a quick google and found pics of it I think,

http://www.ampmart.com/en/productview.asp?sid=1153

bob orbell 5th July 2021 01:22 PM

That's it Richard, it is very neat inside and sounds very good, does anyone know if it is a copy or not ?. Bob

colin.hepburn 6th July 2021 08:15 PM

Hi Bob/All
Thanks bob Interesting I just purchased a pair of these Alp RH2702 50K Pots as well here is another version at a 100k if you are interested to try one out but it cost more I think Philip got one to try some time ago not sure if he posted back on it though but here s the link to it
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/321583838...53.m1438.l2649
Colin

pre65 6th July 2021 11:19 PM

What a memory you have Colin.:)

I do have one, it was lost for a while then found again somewhere I would never thought of looking.

I put it somewhere safe, but guess what -- I can't remember now.:D'oh!:

colin.hepburn 7th July 2021 12:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pre65 (Post 92908)
What a memory you have Colin.:)

I do have one, it was lost for a while then found again somewhere I would never thought of looking.

I put it somewhere safe, but guess what -- I can't remember now.:D'oh!:

Hi Philip/All
Yep my good memory is the trade-off of my dyslexia:eek:
But I also put things away somewhere and canít find them later either.:confused:
Colin

Pingushome 7th July 2021 03:52 PM

Hi all,
A quick general enquiry for any one that has used these pots, how do you wire the 4/8 pins into a conventional 3pin circuit (6 pin stereo)?
I was thinking of changing the one on my bottle head crack, I think it’s 100k but will check, then to shunt it or not?
Advise gratefully accepted.
A small job while I ponder (and save some pennies) a new needle for the old phonograph, as it hasn’t been changed/upgraded for more time than I care to admit��

All the best
Martin

bob orbell 7th July 2021 04:55 PM

Looking from the front, the two pins "front and rear" on the left, cut off and did you know that Matthew now has PCB's to fit these available in shunt or conventional for about £3.00 each. Bob

colin.hepburn 7th July 2021 06:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bob orbell (Post 92913)
Looking from the front, the two pins "front and rear" on the left, cut off and did you know that Matthew now has PCB's to fit these available in shunt or conventional for about £3.00 each. Bob

Yep Just as bob has described. I have done this with the other standard Alps pots I have and will do just the same with these hereís the link to the WAD forum Shop and Matthew s Pot Connection PCBs
And all the other WAD related kits and parts that Matthew has
http://www.world-designs.co.uk/potentiometers.htm
Colin

Pingushome 7th July 2021 06:33 PM

Thank Bob & Collin I got it. Order on outs way I think
:thumbsup:
Martin

Mark 8th July 2021 03:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bob orbell (Post 92901)
That's the 100k Greg, here is the link for one I purchased, but they do come cheaper,( 1Pcs potentiometer 50K log alps audio amp volume control pot stereo ) ebay no. 294047120678. Bob

Hi Bob,

Thanks for the heads up. Can you feel the "click steps" as you rotate the shaft, or does it feel continuous with jumps in level as the wiper goes from one segment to the next ?

All,

My understanding is that genuine Alps Blue pots have conventional carbon tracks not SMD resistors. All the ones I have (from reputable sources) feel like they have carbon tracks. Is Alps now making Alps Blue pots with SMD resistors that are being copied, or has someone copied an Alps Blue casing and label and put SMD resistors in it ? (which could sound better than the genuine article :-))

Thanks

Mark

bob orbell 8th July 2021 04:58 PM

First question Mark is, yes, you can feel the clicks, I am not sure about who makes this pot, although it does say Japan made and Alps, and made very good, the casing is identical to the more expensive Blue Velvet, but the price is too good to be sure. Bob

Mark 8th July 2021 09:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bob orbell (Post 92925)
First question Mark is, yes, you can feel the clicks, I am not sure about who makes this pot, although it does say Japan made and Alps, and made very good, the casing is identical to the more expensive Blue Velvet, but the price is too good to be sure. Bob

Bob,

I have seen reports on the internet about fake Alps Blue Velvet pots. I even saw one post where the fake label was compared with a genuine Alps label. The price alone means that the one you have found is a "knock-off" but one with an unusual twist - it seeks to solve the poor channel matching at low volumes that afflicts all pots with carbon tracks by replacing them with SMD resistors. Many also say stepped attenuators give a better sound. At that price I will be buying a few for some of my projects !

Thanks

Mark

colin.hepburn 8th July 2021 10:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark (Post 92927)
Bob,

I have seen reports on the internet about fake Alps Blue Velvet pots. I even saw one post where the fake label was compared with a genuine Alps label. The price alone means that the one you have found is a "knock-off" but one with an unusual twist - it seeks to solve the poor channel matching at low volumes that afflicts all pots with carbon tracks by replacing them with SMD resistors. Many also say stepped attenuators give a better sound. At that price I will be buying a few for some of my projects !

Thanks

Mark

Hi Mark/all
Well, I have a hand full of the cheap Alps Carbon track and found all my 50k/100k track evenly on the meter and channel match at low volumes just fine. which canít be said for some of the standard lower cost pots I have but at this price fake or not its a no brainer :)donít care maybe bob can test his for channel tracking
Colin

bob orbell 9th July 2021 06:57 AM

maybe bob can test his for channel tracking
Colin. yes, I have already done it Colin, the one I have is almost identical left and right. Martin, the beauty of individual resistors, SMD or through hole, is that the Logarithmic law can be perfect, the carbon track of good pots only has four changing sections, another way is to use a linear pot with law faking resistor from wiper to ground. Bob

Mark 9th July 2021 01:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bob orbell (Post 92929)
maybe bob can test his for channel tracking
Colin. yes, I have already done it Colin, the one I have is almost identical left and right. Martin, the beauty of individual resistors, SMD or through hole, is that the Logarithmic law can be perfect, the carbon track of good pots only has four changing sections, another way is to use a linear pot with law faking resistor from wiper to ground. Bob

Bob,

The photo on ebay shows a splined shaft instead of a round one with a flat for a grub screw. Do you use splined knobs, or have you successfully fitted a knob with a grub screw ?

Thanks

Mark

Mark 9th July 2021 02:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by colin.hepburn (Post 92928)
Hi Mark/all
Well, I have a hand full of the cheap Alps Carbon track and found all my 50k/100k track evenly on the meter and channel match at low volumes just fine. which canít be said for some of the standard lower cost pots I have but at this price fake or not its a no brainer :)donít care maybe bob can test his for channel tracking
Colin

Colin,

You were lucky.... :-). I am probably over-sensitised to the problem by my Naim Nait 2 Chrome Bumper amp fitted with the original Alps (not Blue Velvet) pot : it's painfully unbalanced from 7 - 8 o'clock. I agree : the stepped SMD resistor versions are a no brainer.

Mark

colin.hepburn 9th July 2021 02:42 PM

Hi Mark/All
Yes, it was just luck I have to say, and who you buy them from as itís a lucky dip out there .it was just a cheap gamble which worked out fine:thumbsup: I am a bit more reluctant the shell out the full price for an alps pot even from a known good dealer as you just canít be sure if it is genuine mind you. I think that can be said for just about anything we buy in today's world for this hobby today:(
Colin

bob orbell 9th July 2021 04:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark (Post 92930)
Bob,

The photo on ebay shows a splined shaft instead of a round one with a flat for a grub screw. Do you use splined knobs, or have you successfully fitted a knob with a grub screw ?

Thanks

Mark

Mark, it is designed for a push on knob as there is a split down the shaft, I make my own knobs from Stainless Steel, but my pot is in the back of my WA88 power amp. and all I need is a small screw driver to set the volume. Bob

Pingushome 10th July 2021 07:25 PM

Hi
Any one who bought these pots from China been caught for duty and the rip off post office collection fee?
I know they are supposed to be below the tax threshold but wondered if
things had changed since our glorious exit
Martin

Mark 12th July 2021 11:46 AM

Pingushome,

I haven't bought pots from China, but I bought some valves from Russia recently off eBay. VAT was charged at point of sale and the value was way under the £135 (?) duty threshold. They were delivered by the Post Office without demands for a handling fee, as they should be because there was nothing to pay. A friend bought hifi bits from China via Aliexexpress recently and had the same experience - VAT charged at point of sale, below the duty threshold so nothing to pay, and no demands from the Post Office.

Regards

Mark

Pingushome 12th July 2021 12:57 PM

Thanks Mark thatís what I was hoping. Only asking as I bought some stuff from the US under the £135 but over £20 and got caught for customs and collection fee.
Martin

bob orbell 12th July 2021 01:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pingushome (Post 92934)
Hi
Any one who bought these pots from China been caught for duty and the rip off post office collection fee?
I know they are supposed to be below the tax threshold but wondered if
things had changed since our glorious exit
Martin

Why buy from China when they are on ebay from UK sellers, that's how I got mine. Bob

colin.hepburn 12th July 2021 02:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bob orbell (Post 92937)
Why buy from China when they are on ebay from UK sellers, that's how I got mine. Bob

Yep, thatís what I did as well of your eBay part code off-topic from the Alps pot but I purchased a set of valves for the new phono a set of JJ ecc83S, and a 5751 with matched triodes? From Banzai music in Germany

Not thinking I hit the buy button and after looking at the receipt I noticed that they are vat free but as the order value is under 50 euro so donít know if I will get stung for this the order is still in progress as I type this. just too quick to press the buy button anyone knows how the EU. Works with the UK on this now:D'oh!::eek:
Colin

bob orbell 12th July 2021 08:25 PM

If there is a bill for customs, you will get a invoice before the product is sent to you Colin, I should imagine that there will be a charge to pay, it all sounds very good, no VAT, but you may get customs and a handling charge, this brings the price above UK sellers :D'oh!:. Bob

colin.hepburn 12th July 2021 08:40 PM

HI BOB/ALL
Yes to eager to press the buy button matched triodes? Was the clincher on that:D'oh!::(:(

Pingushome 12th July 2021 08:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bob orbell (Post 92939)
If there is a bill for customs, you will get a invoice before the product is sent to you Colin, I should imagine that there will be a charge to pay, it all sounds very good, no VAT, but you may get customs and a handling charge, this brings the price above UK sellers :D'oh!:. Bob

Hi Bob,
Yes you get a request to pay on line to the post office and then they deliver the goods, but then itís in the U.K. Thatís not a problem but there is a is a fee of around £10 the post office charges irrespective of the bill. Itís a bit cheeky to charge you a tenner for collecting £5 for HMRC
On the Royal Mail site it says no vat and no duty under £135 but I wasnít sure whether they adhered to it
Iíll order a couple of 100k cheapos from China
Weíll see
Martin

Pingushome 12th July 2021 08:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by colin.hepburn (Post 92938)
Yep, thatís what I did as well of your eBay part code off-topic from the Alps pot but I purchased a set of valves for the new phono a set of JJ ecc83S, and a 5751 with matched triodes? From Banzai music in Germany

Not thinking I hit the buy button and after looking at the receipt I noticed that they are vat free but as the order value is under 50 euro so donít know if I will get stung for this the order is still in progress as I type this. just too quick to press the buy button anyone knows how the EU. Works with the UK on this now:D'oh!::eek:
Colin

Hi Collin,
On the PO site it says no vat no duty under £135 if itís a biz not a gift, so depend how rich you were feeling when you pressed ďbuyĒ
Martin

colin.hepburn 14th July 2021 07:17 PM

Hi All
Just to say I go the alps pots today from the UK seller that bob provided the eBay number for And am happy with them as they have a fairly nice click rotation feel .to them, and they seem very good value for the money what's not to like I may get a couple more in the 100k range :thumbsup:
Colin

bob orbell 14th July 2021 08:15 PM

Glad they are what you expected Colin, I wanted a 100K but 50K works just fine. Bob